Inspired by AfterDark screensavers and Solitare "Vegas" style

The screensaver is about a hot-tempered and frustrated truck driver trying to make a living. He has 30 days to earn -- or lose -- money. Every time the screensaver runs, random events happen which cause you to get or lose money. After 30 days, one of four "game over / you win" screens shows. Then the screensaver hits the "reset button" and you get a new 30-day story

Additional features that will definitely be included (since I've got all the tools I need)
----------------------------------------------
* More background scenery (Bridges, walls, colorful houses, etc.)
* Four types of deliveries -- Fast food, technology, gems and toys
* Factories will have different colors
* Actual acceleration and deceleration of the truck
* Truck will stop at paint shops for new colors
* Animals -- and the driver gets angry
* Car-crashes -- and the driver gets angry
* Traffic lights and intersections
* Speeding tickets and litter fines -- and the driver gets angry when caught by the police
* Day and night cycles
* Crime of stashing goods, with either good or bad results

Features that will be included if time permits:
-----------------------------------------------
* Rain and snow
* Running out of gas
* Freeways
* Flat tires
That looks very cool and fun!
I look forward to the excitement and variety of rain and snow if you're able to add those in time.
This is so absurd in the best of ways. I cannot wait to see how some of those features come into play!
I love how the art style follows your elimination graphics style.
This is awesome. Although this is for the contest I could easily see something similar get added to a game like Elimination as extra cutscenes or even optional cutscenes like in some newer RPGs. I can't wait to see what you have in store next for the contest. Smile
Agree, this is a concept that could be expanded to a full game afterward.
Looks nice.

This will be a tough truck competition with TIny_Hacker Very Happy

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! @slyVTT Yes indeed! Very Happy Very Happy

Progress
------------------------------------------
* (DONE) More background scenery (Bridges, walls, colorful houses, etc.)
* (DONE) Four types of deliveries -- Fast food, technology, gems and toys
* Actual acceleration and deceleration of the truck
* Truck will stop at paint shops for new colors
* (DONE) Car-crashes -- and the driver gets angry
* Traffic lights and intersections
* Speeding tickets and litter fines -- and the driver gets angry when caught by the police
* Day and night cycles
* Crime of stashing goods, with either good or bad results
Very neat! I like the overall look of the program!
Neat! Looks retro, and the artwork is nice and simple.

Progress
* (DONE) More background scenery (Bridges, walls, colorful houses, etc.)
* (DONE) Four types of deliveries -- Fast food, technology, gems and toys
* (DONE) Actual acceleration and deceleration of the truck
* (DONE) Truck will stop at paint shops for new colors
* (66% done) Traffic lights and intersections
* Speeding tickets (DONE) and litter fines (NOT DONE) -- and the driver gets angry when caught by the police
* (DONE) Day and night cycles
* (50% DONE) Crime of stashing goods, with either good or bad results

Obvious bugs with the timing of the rain and the "caught littering" message, but those are easy fixes

Progress
* Throwing all this together with RNG!!!
* (DONE) Factories will have different colors
* (DONE) Actual acceleration and deceleration of the truck
* (DONE) Animals -- and the driver gets angry
* Litter fines (NOT DONE) -- and the driver gets angry when caught by the police
* "YOU WIN / YOU LOSE" screens
* Freeways
* Extra crazy scenery (deserts, volcanos, ice, etc.)

If time:
-------------------------------------
Flat tires
Out of gas
Snow
Nice job, lookin good! I hope you're able to implement all you want in time Smile
This is what I call "Heavy rain" Very Happy

Changed from 30 days to 90 days (while cutting the length of a day by 1/3) so that the player can see "night time" more often

The gibberish at the top is debug information; it will be removed by Saturday

Progress
* Throwing all this together with RNG!!!
* Litter fines (DONE) -- and the driver gets angry when caught by the police
* "YOU WIN / YOU LOSE" screens
* Freeways (DONE)
* Extra crazy scenery (deserts, volcanos, ice, etc.) (25% DONE)

If time:
-------------------------------------
Flat tires
Out of gas

The screen saver will rarely give you an instant "game over" when a crash happens...but...it can happen!
The amount of detail you've managed to pack into this in so little time is very impressive! I love the screen shake and accelerate / slow down effect, and the rain looks really good! The brightening and darkening / fading of the screen is really neat, how did you do that?
TIny_Hacker wrote:
The amount of detail you've managed to pack into this in so little time is very impressive! I love the screen shake and accelerate / slow down effect, and the rain looks really good! The brightening and darkening / fading of the screen is really neat, how did you do that?

Thanks! Smile

The general idea is that I made my own palette below. When I want to fade out, I recalculate the palette to make all colors slightly darker, and when I want to fade in, I make all the colors slightly brighter.

Today is just eye candy Very Happy Very Happy (You can ignore the debug numbers at the top of each scene)

I was slightly hoping to add flat tires and running out of gas, but today and Friday is just letting the program run, fixing bugs along the way. And I did encounter so many funny or illogical ones, including:

* Too much greed! The driver was stashing everything instead of making at least some honest deliveries
* Policemen incorrectly stopping the man for littering, or the man littering way too often
* Green trees and green grass (instead of red trees and red grass) in volcano land
* Evergreens magically changing to palm trees on-screen
* Police car and truck on white screen after "game over", as if the truck and police car had moved on to the "great beyond"
* Scene with accidental autumn colors, which looked really cool but in the end was just corrupt data (the truck driver had a mushroom face)
This is really good !!!
I didn't imagine you would add so much content.
This is really great. Nice job !!
This is really good and you should work on it after CC26, this could become a really popular program!
You guys have really good programs, I don't think I can compare but who knows--anyone could win!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours