This is a project that's probably going to take months Razz
The idea is to create a physical control panel for the game 'Kerbal Space Program'. The first step was to setup the game so that it sends/receives data from an arduino. This was accomplished with this KSP mod: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/60281-hardware-plugin-arduino-based-physical-display-serial-port-io-tutorial-12-oct/

In the image, you can see that enabling SAS in the game's HUD makes the LED turn on and off Smile

Worste quality but upright: http://imgur.com/Tavi7Jb.gif

I will have to figure out how to drive about half a dozen 7 segment displays, many binary outputs/inputs (eg LEDs, switches, etc), poll multiple analog joysticks, and more, with only a single master arduino connected to the PC.[/img]
This is impressive work! One easy option would be to use I2C IO expanders (see some of TI Semiconductors' options and one from Adafruit, for example). These let you do what it says on the tin: get a bunch of input or output GPIO pins from a single I2C device (and since they're on an I2C bus, you can put a bunch of them there).
Dang, sounds complicated, looks cool! I love playing KSP, good luck with this project! Very Happy

could you make KSP for the CE? Razz
Yep, gonna use I2C IO or daisy chained shift registers (probably the later), and will be handled by the master arduino (the one connected to the PC). Likely all seven segment displays will be driven the same way.
I will also need to expand the amount of analog io pins, though. Maybe analog<-->digital converts would do the trick?
c4ooo wrote:
Yep, gonna use I2C IO or daisy chained shift registers (probably the later), and will be handled by the master arduino (the one connected to the PC). Likely all seven segment displays will be driven the same way.
Master Arduino? Why would you need more than one Arduino?
Quote:
I will also need to expand the amount of analog io pins, though. Maybe analog<-->digital converts would do the trick?
I2C GPIO expanders can do that too. Or you could use I2C ADCs.
WIth a circuit like this, can i attach LEDs behind the switch and have them light up when the switch is on? Just want to make sure Smile

In other news, i have begun designing the controll panal in CAD.
I have modeled most of the parts and am now arranging them. This is close to how the final version will be laid out, but this is not the final version. (Unless i get some insight and change everything Razz (I probably will) )

Everything in white is where to cut mounting holes for switches, leds and other meters, and blue is space for text / other design elements. The 4 blue boxes in "rotation" and "translation" is where the joysticks will go.
I just rediscovered this project after looking at Botboy3000's panel, how has progress gone? I was looking at your diagram and I would like to know what the Alarms and warnings will do? I only know of 1 built-in warning so what will the other 8 do? Lastly, I wish you and Botboy3000 could mass produce your products, it would be so cool to have his button control with your indicators! Very Happy
TheLastMillennial wrote:
Lastly, I wish you and Botboy3000 could mass produce your products, it would be so cool to have his button control with your indicators! Very Happy

I agree, unfortunately the way that my panel works is that the computer sees it as a keyboard, so there's no way for the computer to send the keyboard useable data for alerts and things. I'd like to see how this one is being done when it's complete. Will it be using a modded version of KSP?

EDIT:: Nvm, I guess reading the VERY FIRST POST goes a long way Razz
Over the past years. I've completely redesigned the project. I am very close to finishing the project but don.t have the motivation to finally finish it I guess.

In the course of redesigning the project, I have also written my own KSP mod to send/receive data via a TCP connections, as well as an client to render widgets such as navballs and maps on a PC.

Here's an old picture of the [new] frame.

I have written about some of the technical stuff like the power supply and switch, input matrix, and fuel gauges on the KSP forum: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/186074-yakp-yet-another-kontrol-panel
That's quite a piece of furniture!

The analog readouts are quite nice-looking too. Do you have specific functions in mind for the switches, or are those meant to be more craft-specific?
That looks fantastic c4ooo! You're so close, finish it! Very Happy
That's a nice wood structure, nice job
Tari wrote:
That's quite a piece of furniture!

The analog readouts are quite nice-looking too. Do you have specific functions in mind for the switches, or are those meant to be more craft-specific?

Thanks!

Most of the buttons and switches are for in game actions (landing gear, lights, stability control, etc. This includes the 10 or so custom "actions groups" that you can create in KSP for your craft). The other switches either exist to switch between different display modes (ex, radar altitude vs sea level altitude), or act as "safety" switches for things like throttle.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours