PICTURE TIME!

By hacking apart an old usb keyboard I was able to scrap everything in there except the pcb. I scratched off the coating on the pads and soldered wires to each of them. USB keyboards work using a coordinate system where some of the pads are rows and most of them are columns (due to the nature of the shape of the keyboard.)

I found which two pads to connect to get certain keys:
W: Pitch up, S: Pitch down, A: Yaw left, D: Yaw right, Q: Roll left, E: Roll right, I: RCS up, K: RCS down, J: RCS left, L: RCS right, H: RCS forward, N: RCS backward, R: RCS toggle, T: SAS toggle, G: Gear toggle, B: Brakes, Z: Full throttle, X: Cut throttle, U: Lights toggle, M: Map view, Backspace: Abort, Space: Stage.

I bought a bunch of little arcade buttons and found some modular buttons (for z, x, and backspace) and made this enclosure out of plywood and 2x4s and at the lack of a drill battery (not a drill) the screws were screwed in with a screwdriver.

So yeah, I have a 3D printed throttle lever that I may implement when the weather here gets nicer. But that's this project and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.
Botboy3000 wrote:
PICTURE TIME!
By hacking apart an old usb keyboard I was able to scrap everything in there except the pcb. I scratched off the coating on the pads and soldered wires to each of them. USB keyboards work using a coordinate system where some of the pads are rows and most of them are columns (due to the nature of the shape of the keyboard.)

So yeah, I have a 3D printed throttle lever that I may implement when the weather here gets nicer. But that's this project and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

Just a thought, when you do implement the throttle lever, it may prove useful to use LUA. (I haven't done anything with LUA myself, but I have used programs that use it, and it makes playing the game a lot easier.)
That's really cool! If you haven't already, I would suggest connecting a joystick to the WASD keys. It wouldn't be completely operational, as if would be connected to digital buttons and would not be able to give off an analog reading of how far you push the stick, but it would be more cool that four buttons I'd think.

Kerbal Space Program should be crowned the official game of Cemetech.
CalcMeister wrote:
That's really cool! If you haven't already, I would suggest connecting a joystick to the WASD keys.

Kerbal Space Program should be crowned the official game of Cemetech.

I agree! Very Happy

Your control panel looks amazing! I wish I could do something cool like this Smile
Thanks, guys! The throttle lever I was thinking would be a similar situation as the joystick mentioned above, where it stays in the middle, but if you push up it pushes SHIFT and when you push down it pushes ctrl.
At first i thought this was my thread, lol. https://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13218 (shamless self plug). Nice work, i especially like that you used metal. My suggestion would be installing the KSPSerialIO mod. This will allow and arduino to receive game data (such as altitude, speed, fuel amount, all sorts of stuff) and send back user input.
c4ooo wrote:
At first i thought this was my thread, 0x5. https://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13218 (shamless self plug). Nice work, i especially like that you used metal. My suggestion would be installing the KSPSerialIO mod. This will allow and arduino to receive game data (such as altitude, speed, fuel amount, all sorts of stuff) and send back user input.

lol it's actually wood spray-painted with a special mixture that makes it look like metal Razz
I'll have to look into that mod, it sounds very interesting and maybe I'll be able to use that... I don't want our projects to be toooooo similar though Wink
You should check out (and cross post to) this thread on KSP forums: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/60620-custom-hardware-simpit-repository-for-people-who-take-ksp-a-little-too-far/ Smile
Very cool!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours