I would very much love to listen to music from my calculator. I recognize that there are apps to do so, but there are none for the TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition. In addition, I would like the songs to be in MP3 format, not some other obscure or calculator-specific format.

Thus, I need the source code for a software MP3 driver. This I will convert into Z80 Assembly. Can anyone point me to such code? Would I have to completely redesign the driver for calculator use?

I recognize that I am being overambitious in taking on three projects at a time: this, my password program, and my fake reset program. However, the password program will soon be finished, and since the fake reset program is a large project, I can work on one or two other programs simultaneously.
3.5 MB FLASH ROM == 1 kinda low quality mp3.
In that case, I shall wait a few years for an expert to do something about this. I am too busy to utilize parrotgeek2's solution.
There's already TruSound and the likes on the z80 series. The difference with what you are trying to achieve is that mp3 (or any format) files must be converted to be played. And the other difference is that it's not for the CSE (but I guess the screen doesn't really matter for a sound program so it could be adapted).
parrotgeek2 wrote:
allynfolksjr wrote:
3.5 MB FLASH ROM == 1 kinda low quality mp3.

Yeah, and the Z80 has nowhere near enough CPU power to play them. I suppose you could write a program to play WAV files from a flash drive though (based on MSD8x).

^^ This

Here a page that should give you an idea of how much processing power you'll need for several different types of audio formats on various platforms. MP3 - even at very low bitrates (96kbps), still requires more processing power than the z80 can give (and at these qualities MP3 sounds pretty bad). Furthermore, you'd have to think about the overhead for creating a waveform via PWM with the calculator, which pushes MP3 even further from possible. Most devices use a soundcard with a built-in DAC, which makes sound production less CPU intensive.

The codec which looks the most possible is probably A52. If you reduced the quality to 128kbps mono, that may (don't take my word for it) reduce the CPU requirements to a level achievable by the z80. Here is a source that puts the CPU load for A52 192kbps stereo at 17MHz. So maybe under 15MHz for 128kbps. And audio still sounds OK at this quality.

But, yeah, you're looking at a lot of work to make this happen.
Natively this isnt going to happen. Far less effort would be to just use a microcontroller or mini board that has MP3 support. You can get them pretty cheap.

There are even methods of using the cheap $3.00 mp3 players you can get off ebay ... but thats more like re-purposing something that already works i guess.
Could this be done for midi? I know there is a program out there for the Black and white calculator, as well as a converter, but I think it you wanted to make something that plays music off your calc, then midi is the way to go.
There are some mod players that will work on the 84C just fine (and even some that have already been ported).

Plus there are games like calc84's Steins;gate that have a full musical score! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbukTC37ydY
Emerov wrote:
Here a page that should give you an idea of how much processing power you'll need for several different types of audio formats on various platforms. MP3 - even at very low bitrates (96kbps), still requires more processing power than the z80 can give

The numbers you're quoting are all from modern applications processors (most of them with some DSP extensions). A Z80 is much slower than those at equivalent clock speeds.
Really?! There is a program that plays midi on PCSE's?!?! Where? I must know. I build a speaker system on my calc that plugs into the I/O port. All I can do is Steins;Gate and NOTEMAN. Please supply a link! Razz
Big ideas: don't get any.
Tari wrote:
Emerov wrote:
Here a page that should give you an idea of how much processing power you'll need for several different types of audio formats on various platforms. MP3 - even at very low bitrates (96kbps), still requires more processing power than the z80 can give

The numbers you're quoting are all from modern applications processors (most of them with some DSP extensions). A Z80 is much slower than those at equivalent clock speeds.
True, I didn't think of that. Thanks for the clarification.
I had been looking into that not too long ago, all i could find for a ti-84 + CSE was a program to input individual notes(which is great, but not really what i was loking for) Kerm had told me he was hoping to port MT3 for ti-84 + CSE eventually, but if you're going to want to play MP3 files, take not of the size of an MP3 file and the storage on your calculator, you would have enough space for like 1 song... and nothing else lol (I had done it on a ti-84 +, but i could only fit about 20 seconds of music
The TI-84 Plus CE kinds puts a dampner on calc sound ... will need to look at USB implementations in the future.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours