Finishing unfinished projects is always a good thing to do, zeldaking. Since you're getting a nice laptop for programming, does that mean you resolved familial issues with programming? Also, its not squandering it if you relax and enjoy it; later in life, you'll look back fondly on that time spent relaxing when you no longer have the leisure to just do nothing.

Pimath: Is this another VVVVVV game? I could have sworn that it was actually leafy or someone else who was making a game called VVVVVV.
My goals over the summer are pretty basic

Programming:
Learn some new languages starting with Haskell
Port AssaultCube Reloaded to SDL2
Fix up bugs and add features to AssautlCube Reloaded
Work on my contest submission for Contest #10
Learn more about working with the 84

Non(I'm still surprised this exists):
Test into Linear Algebra or higher
Get back in shape for swimming
Prepare for college life
Get driving permit
Make moneys
Originally I posted this:

JamesV wrote:
Even though it's winter in Australia... Razz

- Finish Alien Breed 5 v1.1.0, and start the planning & groundwork for v2
- Get back onto Thunderbirds v2
- Get my hands on a TI-84+CSE and start experimenting!

I'm now looking at the following:

- Alien Breed 5 is currently released at v1.1.1, which, unless any bugs are found, should be the last v1 release. I have started planning for v2, but it's still in early development, and I haven't really decided 100% on features of the next edition.
- Thunderbirds v2 has seen some slow progress. Hopefully I can get it done before the year is out!
- I have a TI-84+CSE now! Smile I've messed around with a few things, but haven't had much free time in the last fortnight. I have a few ideas of things I'd like to do on it, but probably not anything that I'll get completed during the northern Summer.

Most of my focus at the moment is on my band, as we're heading to Atlanta in August to record an album! After that, I'll have some more free time for calc actitivies Smile
I don't have too many summer goals...
--Finish SP-10
--Attempt to make another song that humans can actually enjoy
--Make case and PCB for SP-10, then sell the finished device
JamesV, best of luck on your album! That sounds like a lot of fun, and I'm glad you are pursuing such varied interests beyond just tech and calculators. We have several such creative superstars among our members and ex-members, not the least of which is Joe "Brazucs" Pena, now known as MysteryGuitarMan.

Spyro, SP-10 is your custom PIC-based microprocessor architecture, correct? Good luck with it.
1. Patch up that doctor who asteroids game.

2. Make a physics program in Asm for the contest

3. Continue learning moar C# and possibly more python.
KermMartian wrote:
Finishing unfinished projects is always a good thing to do, zeldaking. Since you're getting a nice laptop for programming, does that mean you resolved familial issues with programming? Also, its not squandering it if you relax and enjoy it; later in life, you'll look back fondly on that time spent relaxing when you no longer have the leisure to just do nothing.

Pimath: Is this another VVVVVV game? I could have sworn that it was actually leafy or someone else who was making a game called VVVVVV.

I cross-posted here, but the main topic's on Omni: http://ourl.ca/18384
I'm learning how to do some Windows 8 Store programming so I can work on a circuit simulator like Logisim.
merthsoft wrote:
I'm learning how to do some Windows 8 Store programming so I can work on a circuit simulator like Logisim.
That sounds great! Are you going to focus primarily on digital circuits, or do you also plan to look into simulating analog circuits SPICE-style as well?
merthsoft wrote:

My brain has been ticking away at how to create a sort of circuit simulator in BASIC for the CSE. I have a few ideas on how to accomplish it, just need implementation.

Also, as for my goals, I want to finish Checkers, Get maybe half of the Presidential database completed (a lot of information to comb through, ensure it shows up properly, etc) And maybe work on pokemon some more. I really miss that project, now. :<
We miss Pokemon Purple, too, tifreak8x, and we're all looking forward to when you get more free time to work on it. Smile Your other goals seem reasonable to me, and I wouldn't even be surprised if you finished the Presidential Database program before the summer is out.
I'm working on this about 40 hours a week, and working on a selection of these when I have time on the side. This one in particular.
The goals I posted last year were too ambitious, and I cared too little, and I didn't have enough time, so pretty much nothing got done. I'm a little more realistic this year. Here they are, in order of importance.

1. Go to my internship as much as possible, and ideally get paid.
2. Learn how to use regular expressions and SQL.
3. Design a game for contest #10 (actually making it is a bonus).
4. Finish the Android Metronome app I've been sitting on for like 3 months, and possibly do some other interesting Android projects as time allows.
5. Write in my blog once a week about something interesting.
- Make progress on WAti
- Do some electronics
- Play with my Raspberry Pi
- Tinker with a mindwave ECG headset

The list is likely to extend Very Happy
ElectronicsGeek wrote:
- Tinker with a mindwave ECG headset

Are you using a Mindflex headset or another?
I am using the Mindwave. It's extremely similar. I picked it up for £20 at Gadget Show Live this year.
Another update to my list:

How's everyone doing with their summer goals? Did anyone not post their goals that now wants to do so? Here are my refined goals, two and a half months after my original post:

Non-Programming/Hacking:
:: Successfully complete a 12-week summer internship at VMWare in Palo Alto (anyone else going to be around the area?) In Progress
:: Present and defend my PhD research at Usenix ATC 2013 Done
:: Get the doctors to figure out why I'm exhausted and unfocused all the time and fix it. On Hold
:: Get back to walking more, explore San Jose, make my eyes happier In Progress
:: See "Using the TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus" published and in stores Nearing Completion

Programming/Hacking:
:: Complete some sort of Tetris game for the TI-84+CSE Pending
:: Complete some sort of 3D grapher in ASM for the TI-84+CSE, pending SDK Blocked
:: Get SourceCoder 3 to a beta, including syntax highlighting and autocompletion. On Hold
:: Complete at least a simple Celtic 2 for the TI-84+CSE, and at best a fledgling DCS. Done
:: Complete and publish Sandpaper Done
:: Complete and publish gCnClient 2.0 Done
:: Complete and publish Doors CS 7.2 Done
:: Launch, end, and grade Contest #10, and send out prizes In Progress
:: Work on SparseWorld. In Progress
Contrary to other years, my summer goals for this year are few, but I bet I still won't be able to complete them all:
- Finish development of my Prizm Utilities add-in, at least to the point where there is a "stable release" (in progress);
- Speed up and add features to my Prizm JPEG viewer;
- Get a new UI for my URL shortener, and upgrade the backend to the latest version of YOURLS while still keeping all my modifications;
- Figure out what to do with my collection of old Windows Mobile devices, as well as my slow Android tablet, with ARMv5 to ARMv6 CPUs*.

*over 3 GHz of ARM CPU power sitting idle; any ideas on what to do with it? Some kind of parallel processing that could go on on multiple devices without communication between them would be good.
comicIDIOT wrote:
My one project is to get my recently bought car from stock to aftermarket-looking as much as possible; not a huge performance freak, just style. It already handles/performs better than my late Saab, so that's a plus. I'm looking at new wheels, new grill, LED headlight and taillight units. That's all I have on my agenda this summer outside of work.

As far as goals go, get out more. I have a San Francisco in the planning stage right now and a camping trip down in Monterey as well.

I have bought and installed red interior LEDs and have LED fog lights for my car en route. The headlights and taillights are still in progress.

I found some taillights that I love and hate. I love the style, but I dislike how they function. Mostly, how the light up when the brake is applied. They glow red when the headlights are active (which looks super cool) but then the LEDs activate when the brake is applied. I think it'd be more practical if the taillight itself just glowed a brighter red. I still might buy them.

Trying to get all the facts before I swap my halogen headlights into Xenon projectors.

Starting the fabrication for the wood floor in the back of the car so I have a level surface from the passenger front seat to the lip of the trunk for camping next Summer (sadly, not this summer) and to make moving heavy items easier.
Ooh! Almost forgot!
- Learn The Fundamentals Of z80 ASM

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours