I've been having a very odd, very specific problem that google has been unable to help me solve so far. Whenever I run an older game or design software that uses OpenGL for its rendering, it will not show up on my Dell Latitude D630 laptop's main screen(I get either a grey or black screen, which copies other windows that were on top of it if I alt-tab). However, if I window the program and move it to my secondary monitor, it works just fine. If I swap monitors(set my laptop screen as the secondary) the converse happens, the laptop screen displays fine, but the external does not. I'm pretty sure my display drivers are up to date(although I'll check that again just to be safe). Does anyone have any idea what's wrong? D3D programs work fine, and ones that can switch to D3D rendering will work in that mode, its only older games like my Quake 3 clones that have this problem(which are thankfully very easy to window) so its not that big a deal unless I go on the road.
I don't have any ideas, but for starters it might be good to post the machine specs (especially graphics card related).
It's a Dell Latitude D630. It has a 2 Ghz Intel core 2 duo processor, 3 GB of DDR2 RAM and an integrated Intel GMA 965.
Bump

Any ideas? I can't use my laptop for game design while away from home until I fix this.
DShiznit wrote:
It's a Dell Latitude D630. It has a 2 Ghz Intel core 2 duo processor, 3 GB of DDR2 RAM and an integrated Intel GMA 965.

What's your OS version? http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Laptop+graphics+drivers&ProductProduct=Mobile+Intel%C2%AE+965+Express+Chipset+Family

Sort by date. Look at the the top entry (or check your driver version and look at the top few). I don't have much feedback beyond that.
Windows 7 64-bit, but from my experience and from what I've been told, using a GPU manufacturer's drivers instead of the ones provided by the OEM(in the case of a laptop anyway) isn't a good idea. I'll still give it a shot I suppose. It's not like I can't roll back if it screws everything up.
Bump.

I installed the driver from Intel and it made no difference. I'm not even sure what it did since I can't roll back the driver.

I do have more information that may be telling however. Whenever I try to run Star Trek Elite Force II(A Quake III game) it shows the following in the console:

Initializing OpenGL subsystem
...initializing QGL
...calling LoadLibrary( 'C:\Windows\system32\opengl32.dll' ): succeeded
...setting mode 7: 1152 864 FS
...using colorsbits of 32
...calling CDS: failed, bad mode
...trying next higher resolution: failed, bad mode
...restoring display settings
...registered window class
...created window@1328,0 (1158x889)
Initializing OpenGL driver
...getting DC: succeeded
...GLW_ChoosePFD( 32, 24, 8 )
...41 PFDs found
...hardware acceleration found
...PIXELFORMAT 6 selected
...creating GL context: succeeded
...making context current: succeeded
...WARNING: fullscreen unavailable in this mode
...setting mode 7: 1152 864 FS
...using colorsbits of 16
...calling CDS: failed, bad mode
...trying next higher resolution: failed, bad mode
...restoring display settings
...window already present, CreateWindowEx skipped
Initializing OpenGL driver
...WARNING: fullscreen unavailable in this mode
...shutting down QGL
...unloading OpenGL DLL
...assuming '3dfxvgl' is a standalone driver
...initializing QGL
...WARNING: missing Glide installation, assuming no 3Dfx available
...shutting down QGL
----- CL_Shutdown -----
-----------------------
GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem

It used to do this only when I tried running in fullscreen, but now it does it even in windowed mode, so now I'll have to uninstall the driver completely and re-download from Windows Update(which at least allowed OpenGL stuff to run windowed on my second screen).

Does anybody have any other suggestions as to what I might do here? Now its not just tools I can't use, it's entire games I can't run.

EDIT- got it to work in window mode again. There are still games I can't run, but this one now does. I would still like to know why I can't use OpenGL on one screen, but can use it on another.
Hmm.. with ubuntu, on a dell optiplex 745, intel duo core 1.8ghz processor, and intel 965 GPU, i have similar problems. Except with me, the textures on user objects (vehicles, people) do not load. The scenery objects do though.

I wonder if our problems are related in any way.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours