I'm working on a currently-nameless RPG for both the PRIZM and Nspire. Using the C pre-processor, I'm able to have platform-specific code so that any non-specific changes affect both versions.
I know that this community embraces the PRIZM more than the Nspire, but I usually test new features using the Nspire emulator because it's easier. The only real difference between the two versions is screen-layout and speed.
I hope to finish the project while maintaining compatibility for both calcs. I don't have many plans for the project; I'm adding most things directly after I think of them.

Here's a actual screenshot from the (painful) Casio Screen Reciever:

and two from the Nspire demonstrating scrolling:

Looks pretty cool! What UI element did you have to sacrifice on the Nspire? I see three boxes on the Prizm and two on the Nspire.

Any sort of story, features you plan to implement, or are already implemented that you can share with us?
comicIDIOT wrote:
Looks pretty cool! What UI element did you have to sacrifice on the Nspire? I see three boxes on the Prizm and two on the Nspire.

I was able to relocate the HP and MP bars underneath the screen, with no actual loss of UI elements.

comicIDIOT wrote:
Any sort of story, features you plan to implement, or are already implemented that you can share with us?

I have to start thinking about a plot. I plan to make the inventory usable by pressing the corresponding key on the keypad, mapped like so:

Code:
7|8|9
4|5|6
1|2|3
0|.|exp/(-)

Hopefully all the keys listed are accessible for that.
All I have now is walking, map-scrolling, and basic inventory display (not pictured). I still have so much to do before this becomes playable.
This is a really neat idea--I can't wait to see how far this gets. I like the thought of having basically identical games between the Prizm and nspire.
merthsoft wrote:
This is a really neat idea--I can't wait to see how far this gets. I like the thought of having basically identical games between the Prizm and nspire.

Ninja'd

I was going to say the same thing. Cross-platform programs FTW!
If I stopped being lazy with stuff on my calculator, I'd get back to programming my RPG for Prizm...

But but LAAAZZZYYY
Can't wait for beta! looks kinda fun.
Reo wrote:
comicIDIOT wrote:

I was able to relocate the HP and MP bars underneath the screen, with no actual loss of UI elements.

Oh! I didn't even see it down there. I'm sure it'd be noticeable once it's colorized.
I haven't updated here in a while

Since the last version, I've added:

*Better graphics
*Equipment, money, and XP slots to the HUD
*HP/MP bar drawing
*Line-of-sight for map display

Oooh, this is looking great so far! I love that you're doing this as cross-platform between the Prizm and the Nspire; I think that's a first. Please feel free to post the code chunk we've been discussing on IRC if you want a second pair of eyes.
I'm trying to implement better field-of-view code. This is what I have:

Code:

void FieldOfView() {
   ClearLightmap(); //lightmap[13][13] to all zeroes
   float x,y; //Holds the sine and cosine of the angle
   int i;
   for(i=0;i<360;i++) {
      x=cosf((float)i*0.01745f); //Convert x and y to radians
      y=sinf((float)i*0.01745f); //and find the sin/cos
      int j;
      float ox, oy; //Center of the player's tile
      ox = (float)playerx+0.5f;
      oy = (float)playery+0.5f;
      for(j=0;j<13;j++) {
         lightmap[(int)(oy)-viewy][(int)(ox)-viewx]=1;//Set the tile to visible.
         if(map[(int)oy][(int)ox]==1) {return;} //End of the line
         ox+=x; //Crashes here
         oy+=y;
         if ((int)ox >= mapxlength || (int)ox < 0) break;
         if ((int)oy >= mapylength || (int)oy < 0) break;
      };
   };
}

This updates a binary lightmap that I use in another to draw blackness where the player can't see. It's crashing and I don't want it to.
How can you be sure that the crash isn't one of your two array accesses going out-of-bounds?

Code:
KermMartian wrote:
How can you be sure that the crash isn't one of your two array accesses going out-of-bounds?

Code:

I don't know if that's the case. I've commented out both lines and it still crashed during the first loop. It may happen later, but it shouldn't happen now if it worked correctly in the first place.
I broke Prizm compatibility for a while (because it's a pain to make two sets of platform-specific changes if I must), but today I've brought it back.

I've added

*A function to draw strings using a font I made.
*Changed the item screen into a tabbed area with items and stats and (maybe) a map. The first two actually work.
*Cleaned up the code a bit, also started implementing objects (npcs, chests, etc.)
Looks great. Keep up the good work. Smile
Spenceboy98 wrote:
Looks great. Keep up the good work. Smile

Ditto, this is looking extremely nice. I really look forwards to playing it.
Any progress on this lately?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours