I'll keep it short and (hopefully) realistic..

- Learn quickly how to be a decent Dad (my partner and I are expecting start of August!)
- Continue living a balanced life (work, home, fitness, hobbies), which will become exponentially harder with parenthood no doubt, but I'll do my best Razz
- Make progress on a calculator project or two, whether it's Banchor II or one of many other projects I've been toying with
learn ice and c#.

Thats all.
ValkTheBoxman wrote:
learn ice and c#.

Thats all.

Hell yea! You should look at unity for a C# based game engine with a very good community.

- struggle through my junior year of high school with A-s or higher (don’t get burned out)
- register a domain name for my website and get a ssl certificate for it
- continue to work out at home and maybe go to a gym
- make varsity in tennis (tryouts are starting in 2 days Surprised)
- finish at least one project
- be more socially outgoing
Michael2_3B wrote:
- Make more money / find another job I like
- Get healthier, more active, have more energy, get more steps in every day
- Work on my social life to some degree, by going out and about more
- Reduce stress
- Maybe visit Alaska

And of course, I hope to finish some of my programming projects Smile

Well I can safely say I accomplished just about none of these. I workout occasionally, socialize rather infrequently, which is alright I guess but I can’t really say I made any big changes or accomplishments.

Although, I will say that I’ve gained a few hundred YouTube subscribers and nearly 60k total views just in the last 2 months, so that’s nice Smile
Write more mods for TowerFall, make more games and projects for calculators. That's enough, right?
CoolModder wrote:
Write more mods for TowerFall, make more games and projects for calculators. That's enough, right?

This is about 2023 goals, not 2024 goals.
VitalAsh wrote:
2022 was great Smile
My ambition-related goals that I want to keep doing:

General:
* Always find the lowest-resistance ways to continue pursuing my hobbies
* Minimize distractions in free-time (social media, games, etc) — keep it deliberate, not habitual
* Take ignorance as an opportunity to learn
Programming:
* Improve at prototyping games in higher level game engines
* Improve at writing games with few abstraction layers
* Finish at least one game

Here's how I did, per bullet point!
* Always find the lowest-resistance ways to continue pursuing my hobbies
**** I forgot about this strategy and re-learned it, and it worked! I found better ways to pursue my hobbies and had a blast.
* Minimize distractions in free-time (social media, games, etc) — keep it deliberate, not habitual
**** Games are gone! But social media is a bit of an addiction. It feels managable because I'm starting to have an inherent "i'm wasting my time" feeling that makes me turn it off.
* Take ignorance as an opportunity to learn
**** I've been doing better at this, but there are some cases that it's a waste of time, and others that I should do it but really really do not want to. Still continuing working on this Smile I didn't fail it!
* Improve at prototyping games in higher level game engines
**** I've given this up! My games tend to be outside of the bounds of game engines, and if a prototype is where interesting things are meant to happen, then it's important to note that I can't make interesting things in engines. I could always get better at this later, and I'll be better off to improve at low level stuff right now.
* Improve at writing games with few abstraction layers
**** Definite improvement! I'm making a very cool game right now, and it is using no engine, and it is using GL and Win32 api calls.
* Finish at least one game
**** Nope. ⁻I considered doing a personal game jam month in December, but I wasn't that dedicated to it and decided time would be better spent on my current project. I've been working on my current project for 10 months! And that's a success to me - I had never the endurance to work on one project this long, and this will give me freedom to make better games.

I do want to make more games to iterate on my process, but I dare not give up a committed project to do so. It will be another day.
KermMartian wrote:
Great topic, Mateo! Most of my goals are project- or hobby-related:
  • Spend more time on my projects/hobbies. In particular, I'd like to finish off Surget and make more progress on (finish v1.0 of?) a physical Train Sim controller I've been working on.

I made decent progress on the physical Train Sim controller when I had time (and finally posted a topic about it, so I'm willing to call that a success.

Quote:
  • Make the time to practice guitar more regularly.
I failed to do so.
Quote:
  • Physical well-being for me as well.
I did some positive things for this, but certain items I did not keep up with. That'll be a 2024 goal.
Quote:
  • Continue to grow/progress my startup
I did this to the best of my ability, and the company continues to chug along.
KermMartian wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Great topic, Mateo! Most of my goals are project- or hobby-related:
  • Spend more time on my projects/hobbies. In particular, I'd like to finish off Surget and make more progress on (finish v1.0 of?) a physical Train Sim controller I've been working on.

I made decent progress on the physical Train Sim controller when I had time (and finally posted a topic about it, so I'm willing to call that a success.

Quote:
  • Make the time to practice guitar more regularly.
I failed to do so.
Quote:
  • Physical well-being for me as well.
I did some positive things for this, but certain items I did not keep up with. That'll be a 2024 goal.
Quote:
  • Continue to grow/progress my startup
I did this to the best of my ability, and the company continues to chug along.

A small progress is better than no progress at all. Good luck next year! Very Happy
I completed all my resolutions:

- Get 90% or higher on exams
- Create a startup at school (I also got help from my friends)
- Learn a new instrument (I play flute and piano, and I started the bagpipes and kazoo-if that qualifies as an instrument-this year)
- Make 20% or more return on stocks

Goals for 2024

- Learn and/or master 2 or more programming languages.
- Make more money from my startup.
- Beat this year's stock return of 35% (That's gonna be insanely hard)
- Pick up a new hobby
- All exams 95% or higher
Edit: - Read 7,000 books since I just broke 70,000 this year

I might add more resolutions because even though 2023 flew by, it was kind of boring.

Favorite programs that I found out about this year:
- Fire and Flames by VitalAsh
- Cesium by Mateoconlechuga
- CEleste by commandblockguy
- ICE Compiler by PT_
- CEaShell (even though it was very buggy, it was an amazing shell. Can't wait for CEaShell 2) by TIny_Hacker and RoccoLox Programs
- TI-Boy CE by Calc84maniac
- S. A. M. M. Status: Online; Location: Unknown by Captain Calc
- ADVENTUR by Hactar

- AND MANY, MANY, MORE!

Even though this year wasn't too exciting, it was pretty fun nonetheless. Or maybe it's just that another year passed since COVID-19 was at its peak!

Your friend,
ryanconmartians
TIny_Hacker wrote:
Well, since we're doing a goal thing, I've got a few I guess:

- Finish and make more new projects
- Take things less seriously and try to be happier
- Take things more seriously that should be taken more seriously
- Focus some more on my physical well-being as well

Yes I know this is 2023 now for me in EST but who cares xD

Looks like 2023 is about over for me so here's how I did!

1. I don't know how many projects (at least programming ones) I finished, but I certainly made some new ones and worked on some as well. I also created and submitted this LEGO Ideas project based on Celeste, one of my favorite video games, which isn't a programming project but was still a lot of fun.
2. This one was kind of vague but I guess I did okay? I went through a whole lot of stress over the summer but things got better towards the end of the year so I'll count that I guess Smile
3. This one is basically the same as number 2.
4. I could've done better at this one.
TIny_Hacker wrote:
TIny_Hacker wrote:
Well, since we're doing a goal thing, I've got a few I guess:

- Finish and make more new projects
- Take things less seriously and try to be happier
- Take things more seriously that should be taken more seriously
- Focus some more on my physical well-being as well

Yes I know this is 2023 now for me in EST but who cares xD

Looks like 2023 is about over for me so here's how I did!

1. I don't know how many projects (at least programming ones) I finished, but I certainly made some new ones and worked on some as well. I also created and submitted this LEGO Ideas project based on Celeste, one of my favorite video games, which isn't a programming project but was still a lot of fun.
2. This one was kind of vague but I guess I did okay? I went through a whole lot of stress over the summer but things got better towards the end of the year so I'll count that I guess Smile
3. This one is basically the same as number 2.
4. I could've done better at this one.

Celeste Lego set? I thought about doing something like yours, but never found the time.
I failed my 2023 goal of finding the AI art-related stuff I wanted to, except that in the end I still got to fiddle around with similar, still AI-related stuff including useful upscaling stuff. I failed my goal of socializing more, though, although I did go out more often due to slightly more stable financial situation.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours