I'm looking to start learning assembly using asm in 28 days, and I still want to be able to do it when I don't have access to my Windows computer. I have tried brass with mono but mono is a .pkg and needs to be installed with an admin password. Is there a good Assembler for Mac out there that does not require a .pkg to install?
If you are getting into Mac development, you may want to install the MacPorts package manager for your OSX distro. That gives you a command line tool similar to apt-get and dpkg, via the port command. Alternatively, if you use Homebrew, mono-complete is in there too. From there, do:

Code:
sudo port install mono-complete
or
brew install mono-complete

After that, Brass should work if invoked via mono. The DoorsCS SDK compiler is set up for that, so you might want to try using that. On that note, poke @Kerm. The link to the SDK download on here and on dcs.cemetech.net remains broken, last I checked a few days ago.
I tried what you said, I still need an admin password to be able to do it. Is the DCS SDK for mac? Is is a .pkg? These would be helpfull as I can use most things that aren't .pkg on this computer. Thanks though! I also don't have Homebrew so that didn't work either.
The DCS SDK contains a shell script that works on most Unix-type systems, and therefore Mac. Unfortunately I am unfamiliar with any assemblers that work natively on OSX. Do you not own the computer you're using?
Spasm works just fine.
elfprince13 wrote:
Spasm works just fine.

Can confirm.

Basically, clone the repo (or download the zip), open the terminal, go to the extracted folder, then: make (and then optionally sudo make install) - assuming you have the dev. tools installed.
I downloaded Spasm and at first it opened with textedit. I dragged it into Terminal and it said "Permission Denied"
At least it didn't say that it didn't have a clue what it was, right? Rolling Eyes
I'm starting to think that this won't be possible on a mac that is under an admin...
Mono plus the Doors CS SDK (ie, Brass) would be your best local, offline option on Mac OS X. However, I'll be working on adding assembly support to SourceCoder tomorrow, so you might want to just wait and use that. Smile
Oh, really? That's awesome! When do you think it'll be done? Also, I think many people have told you this but will there also be support for image conversion to appvars like in Token? That's the only other thing I would add. Can't wait Very Happy
KermMartian wrote:
Mono plus the Doors CS SDK (ie, Brass) would be your best local, offline option on Mac OS X. However, I'll be working on adding assembly support to SourceCoder tomorrow, so you might want to just wait and use that. Smile

Oh yay Very Happy One of my brilliant ideas I had no idea how to implement Very Happy lol

Good guy, that Kerm!
Wow, no more bcalls! Heh, that's a nice little sneak preview of CE assembly. If you want an online assembler, you can use ORG (not sure about the caps, i just know it's named after the .org directive) by Deep Thought:
http://clrhome.org/asm/
Botboy3000 wrote:
I downloaded Spasm and at first it opened with textedit. I dragged it into Terminal and it said "Permission Denied"
At least it didn't say that it didn't have a clue what it was, right? Rolling Eyes
I'm starting to think that this won't be possible on a mac that is under an admin...

Have you never used a terminal before? You should become comfortable with the basics before you get into assembly at all.

You need to make sure the file has executable permissions (this means you need to chmod +x it). Otherwise you'll get a "permission denied" error. This doesn't require you to be an admin.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours