This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. NimbusOS => Your Projects
United-TI Archives -> NimbusOS

» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 04 Jun 2003 11:24:07 pm    Post subject:

ya, i think it would be much easier to have the compiler compress, but you would have to either 1. integrate your compiler into TASM, or 2. Write your own compiler which i think would be very hard...
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 05 Jun 2003 02:56:34 am    Post subject:

You would not even have to write your own assembler.

You would write a new packer to take the .hex or the .bin and change pack it into a .8xp.

You would only save a little space unless the program contains pictures or animations in which case you could same some serious space.

Now, as for not having two programs on your calculator with the same name, that is not necessarilly true. Very Happy

You cannot send a program that uses the same name, and you probably cannot create a program with a name that is in use, but you can rename a program to have the same name.

How it works is both programs data is stored at different locations and the sym table has two entries that have the same name but point to a different place in ram.

TI-OS will not see both at the same time, but the NimbusOS On the fly sort should have no problems realizing that both are different.
You would simply have the program listed twice on the screen where the top one is one program, and the bottom one is the other.

I was actually thinking about making NimbusOS offer to compress and decompress the programs, so users can compress and decompress anything. It would not be a problem.

Steps:
Create a temp program
compress program storing data in the temp program.
Delete the real program
create a new program with the same name and attributes as the last program and copy the data into it.
Delete the temp program.
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 05 Jun 2003 11:45:22 am    Post subject:

ya, Jbirk, ur a smart one! that would be really cool to have the compression strait on the calculator if it isn't too hard! then u could take programs made by other people and compress them to save some space! ya!
David
The XORcist!

Advanced Member

Posted: 05 Jun 2003 01:31:08 pm    Post subject:

I have considered compression in NimbusOS as well, but it might prove difficult to come up with a good compression routine that is adapted for the relatively small program files.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 05 Jun 2003 04:29:00 pm    Post subject:

One thing is for sure, compression will not be available in APP 1.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 09 Jun 2003 03:17:29 am    Post subject:

It should be released this month, it will run Basic, Asm, and Ion.

It will have no specific NimbusOS routines in App 1.
SniperOfTheNight

Advanced Member

Posted: 09 Jun 2003 03:08:55 pm    Post subject:

This month,wow. o yea, I'm assuming it will have a header so you can make NimbusOS specific programs,or am I wrong?
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 09 Jun 2003 03:45:04 pm    Post subject:

i think a Nimbus header will be added in app 2... but i may be wrong so we need some help from the big boys Very Happy
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 09 Jun 2003 04:07:36 pm    Post subject:

Nimbus programs will first be created in APP 2; I think.
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 11 Jun 2003 01:43:12 pm    Post subject:

another idea for app 2: under the options menu, have an option to "Switch to TSE Mode" in which nimbus would only pick up TSE and TSE II prgms but would also have the abillity to task-switch these special prgms. the option would simply not be available in the options menu if nimbus doesnt detect any TSE or TSE II prgms.

my $0.02 Cool

Last edited by Guest on 11 Jun 2003 01:43:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 11 Jun 2003 02:55:09 pm    Post subject:

TSE is not planned to be built into NimbusOS.
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 11 Jun 2003 03:13:25 pm    Post subject:

is TSE any good? ive never used it, but i assume it's good cause so many people use it! Jbirk, is task switching going to be in app2? cause that would be awesome! you open ur math prog, open ur game, play, teacher comes, switch to math prog, teacher gone, switch back to game!
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 11 Jun 2003 03:45:46 pm    Post subject:

Task Switching will not be in App 2, but we may have a task killer.
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 11 Jun 2003 03:50:37 pm    Post subject:

like [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[Del]? that would be pretty cool too! if ur prog loops infinitely, u just press the combo and poof! free!

Last edited by Guest on 11 Jun 2003 03:50:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pascal

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 11 Jun 2003 10:30:22 pm    Post subject:

A long long time ago we were brainstorming the routines that might be in app2. I think one was some graphics engine, but nothing was ever really written down. At the time I took it sereously, and I designed a graphics engine called the node engine. I forget where I was going with it though. I recall making a document that explained the system of 3d graphics (as I was researching the whole system of graphics processing). I guess at some point ill take off where i left off.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 12 Jun 2003 01:19:00 am    Post subject:

Maybe, we could build in Justin's super douper Greysale.

e.g.

bcall(_nimb_lcd_greyscale)

We will define routines by function

e.g.

_nimb

_lcd

_txt

_prg
Job the GameQuitter

Posted: 12 Jun 2003 07:13:24 am    Post subject:

You mean Duck's super duper greyscale. Give credit where credit is due Laughing.
62 52 53 53
Formerly known as 62 52 53 53

Posted: 12 Jun 2003 08:21:29 am    Post subject:

no, he means Duck's super douper greyscale!

But anyway, back on topic:
I think that the nimbus file format/libs should support everything that previous shells supported.

Last edited by Guest on 12 Jun 2003 08:21:38 am; edited 1 time in total
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 12 Jun 2003 04:43:59 pm    Post subject:

Nimbus Will have various subsets.

Any Ion program will be able to request the Ion Subset Libs.

A MirageOS program will have access to both the Ion and MirageOS subsets.

Finally, NimbusOS programs will have access to Ion, MirageOS, and NimbusOS subset libraries.

Lastly, before we use a routine created by someone else e.g. duck, we will first contact the author for permission, and the author will get his or her name added to the credits.
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 12 Jun 2003 06:21:09 pm    Post subject:

you could try RigView... it is in the ticalc.org archives... (it doesn't use interuppts!)...
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 3 of 11 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement