This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's General Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Open Topic & United-TI Talk => General Open Topic
JesusFreak
JesusFreak

Posted: 12 Jan 2004 08:48:40 pm    Post subject:

If space is made up of nothing, then how can it be?
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 12 Jan 2004 08:52:26 pm    Post subject:

Basicly it's an atom with positively charged electrons and negatively charged protons (contrary to all your chem classes). When collided with a normal atom, it not only destroys it (contrary to the rule of conservation of mass) but also releases a WhOLE bunch of energy. So far, however, we have only had successful tests by putting in more energy than came out. This testing is being done at Lawrence Livermore Lab, about 10 miles down the road from me (road being the freeway). It's a major issue in modern physics, which is the unit I'm currently taking at school right now.
JesusFreak
JesusFreak

Posted: 12 Jan 2004 08:59:25 pm    Post subject:

jedd says it is nothing

also hwo do you reverse them?
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 12 Jan 2004 09:05:57 pm    Post subject:

Do you mean change the charges? I have absolutely no idea. I'll ask my physics teacher tommorow, because now I want to know.
JesusFreak
JesusFreak

Posted: 12 Jan 2004 09:09:08 pm    Post subject:

if they change charges, won't they need to loose matter/gain matter to become stable, and in the process, won't they become what they were not in the first place, but no longer the same as when they started, if you get my drift
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 12 Jan 2004 09:13:25 pm    Post subject:

I'm havin a hard time with your drift, but I'll try to answer that. I don't think matter loses any mass when it becomes antimatter. And antimatter itelf is not "nothing," it really is something. I know that in order to store it and create it they suspend it in mid-air, either by shining lasers from every direction or with magnets. I don't think I understand what you're asking, but hopefully that makes sense.
shadowing
Powered by 64

Calc Guru

Posted: 12 Jan 2004 09:27:42 pm    Post subject:

Huh? O.K. summary of all this?
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 12 Jan 2004 09:45:33 pm    Post subject:

Haha. Sorry im not going to summarize the whole topic for you. Read back.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 Jan 2004 04:57:03 am    Post subject:

Antimatter does not have to be an atom with negative positrons/positive electrons, which are antimatter themselves.

Quote:
if they change charges, won't they need to loose matter/gain matter to become stable, and in the process, won't they become what they were not in the first place, but no longer the same as when they started, if you get my drift
You can only change the charges by replacing particals, and since antimatter has the same mass of normal particles, there shouldn't be any difference in mass.

This would be replacing the positive electron with a negative one, and replacing the negative positron with a positive one.

Quote:
When collided with a normal atom, it not only destroys it (contrary to the rule of conservation of mass) but also releases a WhOLE bunch of energy.
Mass is energy, and since this released energy, from the antimatter 'destroying' the normal particle, equals E=mc² it all works out perfectly.
62 52 53 53
Formerly known as 62 52 53 53

Posted: 13 Jan 2004 04:53:56 pm    Post subject:

and if antimater didn't have mass, no energy would be released
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 Jan 2004 05:52:12 pm    Post subject:

Jedd wrote:
I'm havin a hard time with your drift, but I'll try to answer that.  I don't think matter loses any mass when it becomes antimatter.  And antimatter itelf is not "nothing," it really is something.  I know that in order to store it and create it they suspend it in mid-air, either by shining lasers from every direction or with magnets.  I don't think I understand what you're asking, but hopefully that makes sense.

I don't think anyone's actually made anti-matter.

Quote:
and if antimater didn't have mass, no energy would be released

Not necessarily. If antimatter were a "massless particle", it could still destroy the normal atom and release energy.
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 13 Jan 2004 06:00:06 pm    Post subject:

Both those posts are correct. Hopefully people understand now. I asked my teacher how to make antimatter, and this is the basic idea, which I think Arcane mentioned:

Atoms, as we all know, are made of protons, nuetrons, and electrons. These parts are all made up of even smaller parts called quarks. Each quark has a charge. When you combine a bunch of quarks, you get a charge equal to 1, 0, or -1. For example, look at a proton (+1 charge) with 3 quarks (real protons have many more):

+.2
+1.5

When added, the proton's charge is +1. Now go get a whole bunch more protons with different quarks, and make a proton with a charge on -1. Woohoo! We just made an antimatter proton! That's the idea. We collide them with normal matter, the matter dissapears, and we get energy! Which, like Arcane said, is E=mc² (thanks to good ol' Al).
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 13 Jan 2004 06:02:24 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
don't think anyone's actually made anti-matter.

Short answer: yes, they have.

Quote:
Not necessarily. If antimatter were a "massless particle", it could still destroy the normal atom and release energy.

He's right, you don't need to destroy matter to get energy. But there is no such thing as a "massless particle."
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 Jan 2004 06:07:33 pm    Post subject:

Jedd wrote:
He's right, you don't need to destroy matter to get energy.  But there is no such thing as a "massless particle."

Neutrinos could be thought of as massless particles (Einstein said that either way of thinking about neutrinos works).
JesusFreak
JesusFreak

Posted: 13 Jan 2004 06:09:21 pm    Post subject:

but are these anit-matter particles unstable, and won't they revert back to their original form very quickly?
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 13 Jan 2004 06:18:24 pm    Post subject:

They are not unstable. They are just very difficult to make. You would have to force them, actually, to go back to their original state.

btw I barely know anything about neutrinos, please explain.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Jan 2004 11:25:50 am    Post subject:

Neutrinos are particles like electrons, but don't carry any electric charge. This way they can pass through matter without being affected by it. I think it was only recently proved that neutrinos could be mass-less (whatever you call it in enlish) but those that do have mass are of course affecte by gravity.

I think there where 3 or 4 kinds of neutrinos, not sure though.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Jan 2004 05:08:00 pm    Post subject:

You can also think of neutrinos as waves.
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 14 Jan 2004 05:51:47 pm    Post subject:

These sounds a lot like electrons, which can be thought of as mass or waves.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Jan 2004 05:52:40 pm    Post subject:

Not really. Electrons actually have a mass.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 4 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement