This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's TI-BASIC subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. TI-Basic => TI-BASIC
United-TI Archives -> TI-Basic

» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 15 Jan 2007 04:23:34 pm    Post subject:

With a little free time after finals, I intend to add a few more contributions.

Unless anyone has a request, I'm starting with Math. I just added the skeleton/outline now and am going to look up the guidebook's descriptions as a starting point.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 Jan 2007 05:30:41 pm    Post subject:

Are you seeing this as a guide to the [MATH] menu, or a guide to the calculator's math functions? There are others that should probably be included, if it's the latter.
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 Jan 2007 05:36:40 pm    Post subject:

burr wrote:
Because I don't want my lack of interest to doom the wiki,
[post="90743"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
If you really wanted, I could help document some of the String functions (I haven't seen any documentation for that yet), as well as fix some minor spelling errors (no offense). I could also help clarify some of the minor points of loops, and other functions. Would that help?

(I haven't joined yet, but I will if you need me to do this)

Last edited by Guest on 15 Jan 2007 05:37:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 Jan 2007 05:45:04 pm    Post subject:

It's a wiki. Go right ahead. If you vandalize the whole thing, we'll be unhappy and revert it, but as long as you're improving it, feel free to do whatever.
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 Jan 2007 06:18:37 pm    Post subject:

DarkerLine wrote:
If you vandalize the whole thing, we'll be unhappy and revert it, but as long as you're improving it, feel free to do whatever.
[post="95136"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
I'm sad you have that view of me....don't worry, if I screw the whole thing up, you can sue me.

On a brighter note, I will do anything I can to assist you guys.
Anything I add will be between brackets, in case you guys dislike my additions.

I just added something to the Variables section, under strings. Check it to make sure it's okay.

Last edited by Guest on 15 Jan 2007 06:28:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 16 Jan 2007 06:08:05 am    Post subject:

Harrierfalcon wrote:
DarkerLine wrote:
If you vandalize the whole thing, we'll be unhappy and revert it, but as long as you're improving it, feel free to do whatever.
I'm sad you have that view of me....don't worry, if I screw the whole thing up, you can sue me.

On a brighter note, I will do anything I can to assist you guys.
Anything I add will be between brackets, in case you guys dislike my additions.

I just added something to the Variables section, under strings. Check it to make sure it's okay.
He was simply stating that by nature of a wiki, do can whatever you feel like, but it will probably turn out accurate no matter what is written. Next, there's a handy button (available after clicking on "history") called "compare versions" which, by highlighting changes between updates, essentially makes your brackets unnecessary. You can use it to find out how I replaced your numbers and spaces with an actual numbered list (). I also revised the process to make it a bit easier to follow. I notice that you wrote "Equ>Str" where the appropriate syntax is "Equ>String("; it's these minor flaws that, when stacked on top of each other, work to reduce the quality of a site like this. There is often a difference in what merely suits a person and what is technically accurate. Quality control is very important – this will be addressed repeatedly.

Last edited by Guest on 16 Jan 2007 06:16:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 16 Jan 2007 07:14:59 am    Post subject:

Weregoose wrote:
He was simply stating that by nature of a wiki, do can whatever you feel like, but it will probably turn out accurate no matter what is written. Next, there's a handy button (available after clicking on "history") called "compare versions" which, by highlighting changes between updates, essentially makes your brackets unnecessary. You can use it to find out how I replaced your numbers and spaces with an actual numbered list (). I also revised the process to make it a bit easier to follow. I notice that you wrote "Equ>Str" where the appropriate syntax is "Equ>String("; it's these minor flaws that, when stacked on top of each other, work to reduce the quality of a site like this. There is often a difference in what merely suits a person and what is technically accurate. Quality control is very important – this will be addressed repeatedly.
[post="95151"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
OK, I got it. I'll keep a check on myself for those errors, and I'll try to clarify any processes I might add in the same manner you did.
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 16 Jan 2007 05:59:02 pm    Post subject:

DarkerLine wrote:
Are you seeing this as a guide to the [MATH] menu, or a guide to the calculator's math functions? There are others that should probably be included, if it's the latter.  [post="95133"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Right now, the MATH menu since it's easier to keep it organized that way. I'm not sure what to do with the rest of it, maybe have Advanced Math? MATH might need to be split into several pages, anyway.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 16 Jan 2007 06:11:09 pm    Post subject:

How about this: make a short guide to each function, then make articles structured by menu that would link (or include) these function descriptions. One article could be the catalog and link to all the functions.

Edit: and each function article should have the same format. Initially we could just put in the information from the manual at the top (syntax, basic explanation, menu location), possibly with a template saying "this article is a stub" or along those lines. Then, add body to the functions, which could include a deeper explanation of what it does, sample uses (possibly with source code), tricks/optimizations you could use with it, and similar functions.

Last edited by Guest on 16 Jan 2007 06:14:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
spandiv
-- Retired --

Posted: 17 Jan 2007 05:39:25 am    Post subject:

Seeing as there has been some recent wiki activity, I was thinking about starting a portability page. I have never seen a TI-Basic guide or tutorial talk about portability, so I figured it should be covered in the wiki. I was wondering if you guys had any ideas for things to include or general comments. (By the way, I invited all of the recent contributors to join the wiki.)
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 17 Jan 2007 07:26:03 am    Post subject:

burr wrote:
Seeing as there has been some recent wiki activity, I was thinking about starting a portability page. I have never seen a TI-Basic guide or tutorial talk about portability, so I figured it should be covered in the wiki. I was wondering if you guys had any ideas for things to include or general comments. (By the way, I invited all of the recent contributors to join the wiki.)
[post="95178"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
I accepted the invitation :P

Unfortunately I cannot help with portability, unless someone wants to send me a free 89 Dry
spandiv
-- Retired --

Posted: 17 Jan 2007 08:40:57 am    Post subject:

Sorry for being ambiguous. I was referring to portability for the TI-83/84 series of calculators, since those are the calculators that the wiki covers.
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 17 Jan 2007 05:12:16 pm    Post subject:

burr wrote:
Sorry for being ambiguous. I was referring to portability for the TI-83/84 series of calculators, since those are the calculators that the wiki covers.
[post="95183"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Oh. That won't be a problem. The Basic on those calcs is essentially the same. The 84 just has some added functions. I have a 83+ and a 84+SE, so I can help there.

What parts of portability are missing?
luby
I want to go back to Philmont!!

Calc Guru

Posted: 17 Jan 2007 05:19:34 pm    Post subject:

is there an emulator for the 89?
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 17 Jan 2007 05:45:53 pm    Post subject:

Harrierfalcon wrote:
burr wrote:
Oh. That won't be a problem. The Basic on those calcs is essentially the same. The 84 just has some added functions. I have a 83+ and a 84+SE, so I can help there.

[post="95195"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
The main difference is between the 83 and 83+. The 83 is missing all archive capability, and random features such as [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]Text(-1,..., I don't think anyone's made a serious effort to figure such differences out. I've also heard different stories about the extra unlockable characters (wow that sounds like from a video game) such as the greek letters.
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 17 Jan 2007 05:46:41 pm    Post subject:

I dunno about that. I don't have a plain 83.....do they even sell those anymore?
luby
I want to go back to Philmont!!

Calc Guru

Posted: 17 Jan 2007 05:56:47 pm    Post subject:

DarkerLine wrote:
The main difference is between the 83 and 83+. The 83 is missing all archive capability, and random features such as [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]Text(-1,...[post="95202"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

don't forget that Ti-83 has no flash rom at all and can have no apps
todlangweilig

Advanced Member

Posted: 17 Jan 2007 09:17:52 pm    Post subject:

DarkerLine wrote:
]The main difference is between the 83 and 83+. The 83 is missing all archive capability, and random features such as [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]Text(-1,..., I don't think anyone's made a serious effort to figure such differences out. I've also heard different stories about the extra unlockable characters (wow that sounds like from a video game) such as the greek letters.
[post="95202"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I have an 83, and would being willing to help out here and there with figuring out the differences. Just tell me what you would like to try on it.
Delnar_Ersike
Lazy H4xx0r

Posted: 17 Jan 2007 10:43:04 pm    Post subject:

DarkerLine wrote:
Harrierfalcon wrote:
burr wrote:

[post="95195"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
The main difference is between the 83 and 83+. The 83 is missing all archive capability, and random features such as [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]Text(-1,..., I don't think anyone's made a serious effort to figure such differences out. I've also heard different stories about the extra unlockable characters (wow that sounds like from a video game) such as the greek letters.

Actually, the stories about the Greek letters are true. There are apps on the TI website that turn a lot of stuff on your calculator into a different language, like Spanish or German. Once you enable the language, there will be a choice in the catalog that roughly translates to "Characters". Within that menu, you can choose special characters, like Greek letters and upside-down exclamation marks, and put accents onto English characters to make A into Á, E into É, etc.
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 17 Jan 2007 10:50:54 pm    Post subject:

Delnar_Ersike wrote:
Actually, the stories about the Greek letters are true. There are apps on the TI website that turn a lot of stuff on your calculator into a different language, like Spanish or German. Once you enable the language, there will be a choice in the catalog that roughly translates to "Characters". Within that menu, you can choose special characters, like Greek letters and upside-down exclamation marks, and put accents onto English characters to make A into Á, E into É, etc.
[post="95233"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Doesn't that mean that you could translate it, find the Characters menu, stick all those characters into a string, recall the string into a basic prog, then revert it back to english? Meaning you would have a basic prog that allows you access to all the greek characters.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 4 of 12 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement