This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Community News & Discuss Nspire => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
DeL33T

Posted: 27 Aug 2003 11:38:27 am    Post subject:

first let me say that anyone who thinks yu-gi-oh CCG is simple is out of their mind! That being said i must comment on a previous quote "expensive cards are the strongest and can win the game" (or somthing like that)... well i play a lot and my deck has nothing above a rare card in it. My most valuable card is like $13 and yet i still win most of the time. also my deck is based entirely on stragedy, and therefore is superior to one w/o. my "weak" monsters win games because i combine them with other magic and trap cards to boost myself and conter my opponent, much like in magic.
My stragedy is a direct damage/hand destruction. a great deal of my monster cards, which are found commonly, allow me to attack the opponents life points directly (somewhat like a shadow monster in magic) and when i combine that with 'Robbin' Gobblin' i can destroy a card in their hand each attack. Not only is my deck offensive, but i also include 'Gravity Bind' to cripple an opponents strong monsters and allow my lower atp monsters to attack freely.
Basicly what im trying to say is that Yu-gi-oh w/o stragedy is the same as magic w/o stragedy, a stupid boring game. Both have similar characteristics, both are quite entertaining, and both are complex!

you think Yu-Gi sux? DIE! Mad
Tyler

Advanced Member

Posted: 27 Aug 2003 12:23:12 pm    Post subject:

I think this 'Yu-Gi-Oh' card game is a simple fad. In another few years cards will be just worth pennies. The game is incredibly simple, takes no mind power, except for when building a deck, and from there on it's shere luck!
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Aug 2003 12:44:00 pm    Post subject:

DeL33T wrote:
you think Yu-Gi sux? DIE! Mad

I love you two. :thumbsup:

Arguments like that only make people 'think' you are stupid and conclude that whatever you are arguing about is probably stupid too.

Holy scissors, this is the first time I saw people get all wounded up about a bunch of cards, sheesh, get a grip over yourselves people. If you can't even handle people thinking different than you about a card game without flaming them, go play patience or something.

*get's back to beating little 11-year-olds at yugioh using nothing more than a scissor*

Last edited by Guest on 27 Aug 2003 02:02:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 27 Aug 2003 01:03:22 pm    Post subject:

"and from there on it's shere luck! " - umm since you randomly draw the cards, yes that would be luck. The way you play them isnt though, just like Magic. I dont see how you can say yu-gi-oh is all luck without Magic being all luck. You hope you draw a good card that will help you out or get you out of a situation, and if you dont get it, you try to put your other cards together and go without it. Magic would be "shere luck" too then - hoping you draw some better monsters or spells.
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 27 Aug 2003 01:06:32 pm    Post subject:

I didnt start anything, the first thing I said was:

"I highly disagree. I play Magic too, and I played Pokemon like 4 years ago, and I like Yu-gi-oh as much as Magic. "

I didnt say Magic was bad or anything, I said I thought that yu-gi-oh is as good as Magic.

I said I "highly disagree", then 62_52_53_53 comes roaring in with a 30 line reply of why it sucks. Complete with the - "420000/420000" attack jab. Im just defending a game that isnt the best, but doesnt deserve this.
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 27 Aug 2003 01:09:03 pm    Post subject:

[EDIT] Read other 2 posts above I made at same time

And by the way, he did put up a good argument by defending yu-gi-oh when everyone said it has no strategy and all you do is try to get powerfull monsters. He said he barely has any, and he combines lots of other cards to win, JUST LIKE Magic.

Magic is a GREAT game, it is. Yu-gi-oh might not be as good as Magic, but it is still a great game. Im not listening to this discussion anymore, Im done arguing, I leave it at that.

Good day,
Joe Impellizzieri

Last edited by Guest on 27 Aug 2003 01:10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Aug 2003 01:50:47 pm    Post subject:

Use the edit button please, it's that little button with 'edit' on it.

note: I wanted to post the above sentence 1 word per post, but that would be stretching it a bit too much.

Last edited by Guest on 27 Aug 2003 01:52:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Toksyuryel
Crimson Dragon Software

Elite

Posted: 27 Aug 2003 02:07:57 pm    Post subject:

JoeImp wrote:
Magic is a GREAT game, it is.

What are you Kenshin now?

LOL wizard. Very good one.
62 52 53 53
Formerly known as 62 52 53 53

Posted: 28 Aug 2003 08:00:01 am    Post subject:

I'll present whatever arguments I come up with. And I'll be sarcastic too. For those of you who don't understand, this is one of those rant type debates that I just keep going because it's fun, not because I actually feel it's worth arguing over. If this was about whether it was worth arguing over I wouldn't have started. I know I'm right, and don't care if anyone else agrees with me, other than the people I play magic with, and enough others that they keep making cards.

So far these arguements seem prety contradictory...people with good cards win Yu-Gi-Oh games, people actually need strategy instead of just cards...
How is it a good defense if it says something previously conceded is false?

And so far, nobody has shown evidence that Yu-Gi-Oh is not just a fad, even if it was a fad as good as magic, except for the fact that the cards will become worthless when the fad fades. One tendency of fad games is to use larger numbers than are actually needed. If they used the ones place and put lots of different values there I would concede that they needed to be that large. It's the "times five" or "extra zeros" that usually are involved in fad games. I call it "printing 'larger than relevant' numbers." Magic uses the numbers 0 to 12, or 0 to 99 for unglued, but it actually uses all the spots printed. If they were printed as X.000, then that would be the same concept. As this tendency of "printing larger than relevant numbers" is one that has a tendency to be in fad games, I have a tendency to believe that Yu-Gi-Oh is a fad game, and will not spend money on a fad.

Edit: I'm arguing on what I know about that game, and if the people for Yu-Gi-Oh give different data and each argue about the basis of the conclusions I make based on the other person's data, isn't that the same as arguing between yourselves? This is supposed to be an argument over whether Yu-Gi-Oh is as good as Magic or not, instead of one over what wins a Yu-Gi-Oh game, and how Yu-Gi-Oh cards interact. Which brings me to one more point of why Yu-Gi-Oh is worse: it's harder to type.

Last edited by Guest on 28 Aug 2003 08:17:42 am; edited 1 time in total
DeL33T

Posted: 28 Aug 2003 10:31:29 am    Post subject:

look, magic is good AND yu-gi-oh is good. They have almost exactly the same qualities as well. so the play is a little different along with the pictures and the numbers. Yu-gi might be a fad but it has been around for a lot lessthen magic and whos to say it wont last for as long or longer than magic? All I ask is that you give it a chance to co-exist instead of making false claims of how terrible it is compared to a game that has a more sturdy footing and fanbase that was only gained by the length of time it has been out.
Toksyuryel
Crimson Dragon Software

Elite

Posted: 28 Aug 2003 02:43:40 pm    Post subject:

I've played both magic and Yu-Gi-Oh!. I've explored everything about both games, and so far, what has been said is not "false claims". You are assuming that we did not take the time to ensure our "claims" were correct. You are mistaken.
62 52 53 53

Posted: 30 Aug 2003 02:52:01 pm    Post subject:

false claims... like what? oh, you mean the one based on false info. Oh wait, it wasn't false info, everything was true, even both parts of the pairs of contradictory info.

I based it on what I knew of it, and then someone said something else said something so I changed my arguments, and then someone contradicted the basis of my new arguments.

A dog is a Mammal.
A dog is not a mammal.

Both of the above can be true?

And yeah, magic has a bigger support base and has been arround longer. That's a plus for magic, although irrelevant for Yu-Gi-Oh. And yeah, it's different in appearance and numbers, which I wouldn't care about, and that wouldn't matter, EXCEPT the differences are ones that are a common theme throughout the fads that fail. No successful game has lasted that has those differences. While the 99 heads argument might be true, it could also be that the tails side weighs more, or it's a double headed quarter, or the tails side is magnetically attracted to the floor, or the person flipping is skilled and flips it purposefully to get heads, or probably a million other things. While the hundredth time theoretically has a 50% chance of being tails, it could also have a 1% chance of being tails. If gravity has an effect 99 times, I sure hope it has effect the hundredth. Therefore, I believe that the evidence does show that it is very likely to be a fad. I mean, do you believe that all the matter in the galaxy has a 50% chance of falling appart at any given moment?
Neostar

Posted: 03 Sep 2003 04:12:37 pm    Post subject:

Calm down boys! I was one of the first to play both games, as a matter of fact a couple years ago when Magic came out and I was in like.... 4th or 5th grade, I got a free pack in the mail in some mag that wanted testers and response on the game (well my bro. did, I just got some cards) and we sent in for the rule book and the two decks, and sent in responses. I was one of the first to play Magic... and I don't play anymore... why? Nobody else does.... I got Yu-Gi-Oh cards 1 week after they were released like 2 years ago, now I still have cards, but I rarely find time to play. But I still do. I like both games, but when it comes down to which is better, Yugi, only because I relate more to the cards and as for this comment

Quote:
Yu-Gi-Oh, however has not been arround long enough to know if it will be one of those games. Third, the Magic community has lots of adults.

I duel with a 34yr. old guy at the library sometimes. I also ran into a 28yr. old guy in Wal-mart buying crds when I went to get some, we talked a while.

so there are adults playing... he who says it isn't complicated and that it's just a fad, probably just watches the show... 1st season, which sucked, but if you watch the battle city duels, you'll see just how complicated it can get....

I will give you all more updates soon, along with what I have so far:

Shuffling, cards to be used in the game, and how cards will be played...

Thanks for your time...
Toksyuryel
Crimson Dragon Software

Elite

Posted: 04 Sep 2003 01:10:10 pm    Post subject:

When will you put out a demo of it?
62 52 53 53

Posted: 04 Sep 2003 07:38:35 pm    Post subject:

hehe...I didn't say it IS a fad. I said that all the indicators I know of SUGGEST that it will turn out to be a fad. There is a difference. And it might not turn out to be a fad, but as far as I'm concerned, it's not worth risking the money on the chance that it won't be, which is why I believe it is worse. It hasn't been proven. It's innocent of not being a fad until proven guilty. I'll wait until the verdict, and until then, I don't care about it.

Last edited by Guest on 04 Sep 2003 07:40:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Neostar

Posted: 06 Sep 2003 09:50:47 am    Post subject:

A Demo.... hmm..... give me two more moths, but if you go to my site you can download what I have so far along with some of the other progs I'm working on. If you do download projects.zip and look at Paperboy, does anyone have a bike sprite that would work with those screens? i tried, but what I draw looks more like a skateboard....

NeoS*ar site
Neostar

Posted: 13 Sep 2003 09:42:21 am    Post subject:

Has anyone downloaded it yet? I need a bike sprite...

Direct Download
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement