This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Community News & Discuss Nspire => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
lloydkirk1989

Posted: 21 Apr 2005 10:14:15 pm    Post subject:

I would like to announce the recent opening of z80 Revelation, a new but rising programming group.

Last edited by Guest on 10 May 2005 05:05:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 22 Apr 2005 12:47:59 am    Post subject:

Cool website, and Welcome to UnitedTI.

--AlienCC
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 22 Apr 2005 04:56:58 pm    Post subject:

Hey, it's lloydkirk!

Good to see the TI community is still active as ever. Cool
lloydkirk1989

Posted: 22 Apr 2005 10:04:48 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the positive feedback and welcome. Smile Im realy begining to like this forum. When do you guys think the main site will be back up?
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 23 Apr 2005 02:04:42 am    Post subject:

It might be a few days yet,

The main page is programmed in perl, and makes use of a mysql database for News Items, FAQ's, Downloads, etc. It also houses a completely seperate userbase from the forum.

One of my goals was to rewrite the main page into php, and share the same user accounts as the forum already has, therefore eliminating the need to have 2 seperate login accounts to our site.

Our new server runs OpenBSD, in a chrooted apache environment for maximum security, however I've been unsuccessful in getting perl to talk to mysql through the socket while apache is secured like this. Another factor we are looking at upgrading the Forum to IPB 2.0 (paid) in about 2 weeks from now.

So my focus has shifted more from creating a work around for perl to talk to mysql, towards the homepage re-write which extends into the forum database for user accounts. With all that in mind, it will probably be a few days before the homepage appears anything similar to what it should, or used to.

--AlienCC
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 23 Apr 2005 01:30:09 pm    Post subject:

If you are really worried about AlienCC not finishing the front page, then you surely don't know him very well yet. He's very good at doing what he says he'll do! I'm definitely not worried...

BTW, website looks nice Smile Very nice contrast of colors (that lime green text is a *little* hard to read, but other than that, it's great!)

Last edited by Guest on 23 Apr 2005 02:06:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Madskillz

Posted: 23 Apr 2005 03:35:10 pm    Post subject:

I like the layout dkirk...but like Wiggin here, I agree, that lime/bright green text should be changed...
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 23 Apr 2005 04:47:55 pm    Post subject:

Welcome.

If we're giving feedback on sites, I've got some things to say as well:

Design:
First of all, in the new members list, the alignment of the dates and usernames/avatars is rather lacking, it makes the whole left side of the webpage look chaotic and disorienting. I think you should put the avatars below the nicknames, and if that's not enough to make it look nice, add a little horizontal line or something of the sort in between each user to keep them seperated. I personally wouldn't show the avatars at all and use the same little list icons as you use in the main menu in front of each username.

The orange doesn't really fit, maybe this will improve when there are more links and thus more orange, but if it doesn't I'd stick with the colours you use in the main menu, it would make the page more coherent. Maybe it wouldn't be a problem with a bit darker center block background (see below).

Don't use green and Impact where you do in that welcome message, there's already a big banner at the top of the page telling users what site they're on, and it looks really, really out-of-place. I mean, the entire page is grey/blueish with white text, don't suddenly make one word of the entire page almost twice as big as the others and bright green. If you want a welcome that stands out, change the title of that message to "Welcome to z80 Revelation!"

The background of the center block is also too bright in my honest opinion, try using the same colour as in the bottom div, #89929e.

Next up, the buttons, though I think it's lovely that I'll see two pink buttons on your site if I change my windows theme to pink, I'd advice you to use your own graphics, or text.

I'd also indent the content in the "login", "Who's Online", and "Sponsers" blocks, like you did in the main menu and New Members blocks. Maybe "align=right;" them.

And make the google ad's colours correspond with the rest of the page. They've got a lovely little settings system for that, use it.

Finally, I like the simplicity and anything I didn't mention. : )

Tech:
XML : D

CSS : D
Try using the stylesheet(s) more though.

Javascript
:'( but you're forced to use it so that's cool.

Tables
:'(

EXTREME META TAG++
:'(

Last edited by Guest on 23 Apr 2005 04:56:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
lloydkirk1989

Posted: 24 Apr 2005 11:09:50 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for that very thorough site review Arcane Wizzard. Neutral I'll try to make a few of those changes, especially the green text.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 Apr 2005 02:02:35 am    Post subject:

I initially intended to just post 2 or 3 tips, but I guess I got carried away.

I have nothing better to do anyway. : )
lloydkirk1989

Posted: 10 May 2005 05:04:45 pm    Post subject:

by the way, new link
lloydkirk1989

Posted: 28 May 2005 11:39:38 pm    Post subject:

The site is back up with some changes! I accidently overwrit some of the files a week ago, so I had to scrap everything, but I didn't like some things about it anyways. :biggrin: Anyways, sorry for the down time.
Bledoux

Posted: 02 Jun 2005 11:43:03 am    Post subject:

Hmm, it seems like a cool little website. I'd like to see how well it is when it gets a little older and you do more work on it. Although I like the layout and the banner. Those two things are nice. Good job. Wink
lloydkirk1989

Posted: 02 Jun 2005 02:07:06 pm    Post subject:

Thanks alot. What "more work" could be done? Its already rather graphic intense, atleast compared to most sites.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement