This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Community News & Discuss Nspire => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 10 May 2005 01:26:20 pm    Post subject:

WOW! yesterday my forum got 150 posts. we are ranked second in the programming directory of phpbbforfree.com in number of posts!!!! 858!!!
FrostFusion

Posted: 10 May 2005 07:20:09 pm    Post subject:

YEAH!!!!
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 11 May 2005 01:01:25 am    Post subject:

I am just telling you from experience to stay away from forum hosts. They typically have one program that everyone shares linked to a bunch of databases or one big db.

I recomend that instead of finding a free forum host, you find a free host.

Then, get a free forum if you don't want to pay money for one and set that up.

I do speak from experience. Having access to files and databases is key. You don't really think United-TI was the first forum I ever set up do you?

Lastly, I would like to mention that if you expect to expand and grow you will really want a forum powered by: MySQL, PostgreSQL, MS-SQL, or OracleSQL. You really need a forum that is driven by SQL.

SQL allows the forum to be up 100% of the time, show specific data to meet different conditions, and it stays fast as the database grows.

If we were running a flat file database, it would take over a second to execute the script and build the page if php had to read through a 40 MB text file!
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 May 2005 07:26:27 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the warning. unforetunately I can't find a free host that lets you install Forums.

Last edited by Guest on 11 May 2005 07:26:46 am; edited 1 time in total
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 May 2005 10:28:33 am    Post subject:

how do you install a forum on your own host then?
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 May 2005 10:36:11 am    Post subject:

thats what I want to know...
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 May 2005 10:56:52 am    Post subject:

Well, with ipb you just upload the installation to the host and open the setup page (and follow the instructions).

Last edited by Guest on 11 May 2005 10:57:06 am; edited 1 time in total
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 May 2005 12:12:43 pm    Post subject:

so how big is the file? where can you get it for free?
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 May 2005 12:35:25 pm    Post subject:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&clien...nG=Search&meta=
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 May 2005 02:14:58 pm    Post subject:

thanks
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 11 May 2005 03:02:14 pm    Post subject:

Its not legal to distribute IPB 1.3 or older anymore, and IPB2.0 costs money if you wish to use it past the 15 day evaluation.

--AlienCC
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 May 2005 03:25:02 pm    Post subject:

as I said earlier I don't really have the funds for that right now so I think Ill stick with phpbbforfree. Thanks anyway
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 12 May 2005 01:35:24 am    Post subject:

You can still get other free forums. IPB, the one we use we fell is the best.

Sure, it cost us $185 to buy the licence, but it is well worth it. I still owe AlienCC half the money for this forum.

There are other forums. You can get:

PHPBB for free! at http://www.phpbb.com/

I am sure it is about the same as phpbbforfree, but you install it and admin it instead of rely on someone else.

I have never installed PHPBB, but it is certainly going to be the same as any other forum.

Here is what you do:

Download the .zip or .tar.gz or whatever package directly to the server, or to a workstation.

Next, extract the appropriate files to somewhere on your webserver. e.g. a folder. If you extract them on a workstation, you will need to upload them with FTP, if you donwloaded to a server, you can just extract them.

Next, You prepare a MySQL database. Essentially, you have the MySQL Demon running on the server and you create an empty database with a DB account consisting of username and password to connect to the DB.

Now, you open a web browser and run the setup script. It is essentially a website that asks you questions such as:

1. What is the path to the files on the server.
2. What is the http URL of the forum?
3. What is the name of the DB, what is the user/password to connect to it.
4. Your username and password. It makes the Admin account for the forum.

5. It creates any necessary directory structures, makes the DB tables, populates them with some data...

That is pretty much it.

To sumarize:

Copy the files and run the setup utility.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 12 May 2005 01:40:02 am    Post subject:

If you have just a small forum, and not a lot of activity you can host it yourself from your home computer if you have DSL or Cable.

Just setup a windows or linux computer with Apache, PHP, and MySQL.

Forward port 80 though your router, and install some dynamic DNS service if you have a non static IP.

Install PHPBB... and you are done.

PHPBB is slower than Invision, has fewer features, doesn't look as appealing to the eye, and is not as secure.

Over all, PHPBB is very mature and popular! It is well supported, and an all around good, free product.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 May 2005 07:25:47 am    Post subject:

That is actually what my friend and I plan to do once we get our junker computer up and running since he just got DSL. I also found some better webhosting services that are still free. for now though Im sticking with phpbbforfree since I dont want to have to make all our users move right after we just got started
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement