This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Contra 83 => Your Projects
United-TI Archives -> Contra 83

» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 May 2004 01:12:02 pm    Post subject:

You can jump.
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 May 2004 01:13:45 pm    Post subject:

i mean changing direction without moving:

Gameboy:

tag left: look left
press left: walk left

on a TI 83 plus, making it easier for programmer to:

press left: walk left
press alpha when facing right: look left
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 May 2004 01:21:05 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
on a TI 83 plus, making it easier for programmer to:
Nah, just different.
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 May 2004 01:22:26 pm    Post subject:

i think it's easier for the gamer too, cuz i always accidently walk left when i'm trying ter tag the button
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 May 2004 01:46:51 pm    Post subject:

Well, what does it matter if you walk left? Besides, it's silly making a new key to remember for something so trivial.
Bluefire

Posted: 09 May 2004 03:08:04 pm    Post subject:

i voted yes, i think leofox's idea was gr8
and sir robin, say there is a gap to ur left and on the other side is an enemy, and ur facing right, u need to just face left cause if u walk, u will fall
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 May 2004 05:37:01 pm    Post subject:

walk right a bit, then face left. If you can't walk right, jump right.
And how often is that going to happen? unless you try to turn away from an enemy all the time.

You could also make it so the first keypress only switches direction.
Bryan Thomas
Outer Limit Software

Advanced Member

Posted: 09 May 2004 07:00:08 pm    Post subject:

Ok heres the thing,

I did not want the arrow keys to first change your direction with one keypress, and then move with another keypress, b/c one I would have to monitor that and two it would be annoying. If your facing right and you push left it automatically changes you to facing left and also moves you left, that aplha key works really fast and allows you to jump over enemies and turn in mid air and land to shoot him in the back. It works really well and once your used to it is really easy to use, I think that it should require a whole key press because turning around is something your guy must do. If you had to use the arrow keys to turn directions and move with seperate keypressed, it might confuse the person and cause him to miss jumps and stuff. I mean I like the way it is controlled right now but others think the jumping should be second, shoot should be alpha and direction shold me mode.

I have no problem with changing them but I just wanted to see if everyone thought I should

------------------------
-6 list high score = done
-saving/loading = done
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 May 2004 08:11:48 pm    Post subject:

Those keys would be alright? How exactly do you jump? Do you just press the 2nd key and the character jumps as far as he can in the direction he's facing? or does 2nd jump up and you have to use arrows to move in the meantime?
Bryan Thomas
Outer Limit Software

Advanced Member

Posted: 09 May 2004 10:34:03 pm    Post subject:

It jumps you then you decide where to move him.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 10 May 2004 08:56:13 am    Post subject:

Using the arrow keys to change direction without moving does not add anything to keep track of at all, just change the boolean code for movement and direction a bit.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 10 May 2004 03:26:20 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
It jumps you then you decide where to move him.
That might lead to some very unrealistic situations, such as jumping forward then coming down in the same place. But most people don't notice and I think the speed difference between that and a more realistic jumping would be noticeable.
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 11 May 2004 12:15:26 am    Post subject:

sir robin, when you jump, it moves the character up a space, then loops several times while incrementing a var. when the var reaches a certain number, you fall 1 space. while it is looping and waiting for teh var to reach a certain number, you can press or to move. at least thats what teh demo seemed to do, he may have changed it.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 May 2004 04:20:35 pm    Post subject:

I know that.
Suppose I am standing on a platform. I jump, move left, then start moving right as I start falling and land back on the same platform. Would I be able to do that in real life?
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 12 May 2004 12:25:28 am    Post subject:

are you one pixel wide in real life? Are you flat and solid black in real life? Or does this something we call a game have to stay perfectly within teh boandaries of real life? maybe you want to scarifice speed to prevent the user form changing directions while jumping, but i dont.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 May 2004 08:16:29 am    Post subject:

Ever heard of realism?

Obviously no games so far have the graphical capabilities to have truely realistic graphics, but that doesn't mean designers should fuck up their physics engines (and thereby change gameplay drastically) because it's just a game anyway.
Bryan Thomas
Outer Limit Software

Advanced Member

Posted: 12 May 2004 04:07:59 pm    Post subject:

OK OK,I understand what you guys are saying, however I do not think that It is the right type of gameplay for this game. In the REAL contra you could jump and change directions, in mario you can jump and change directions. And I want this game to be faithful to the original games as much as possible. Also the jump button is used to climb ladders, and platforms, so It has to jump you up first. I like the way the jumping is now and I have no intention of changing it. Sorry
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 May 2004 04:08:45 pm    Post subject:

Darth Android wrote:
are you one pixel wide in real life? Are you flat and solid black in real life? Or does this something we call a game have to stay perfectly within teh boandaries of real life? maybe you want to scarifice speed to prevent the user form changing directions while jumping, but i dont.

I quote myself:
...most people don't notice and I think the speed difference between that and a more realistic jumping would be noticeable.

Can't you try reading the post you're criticizing for once?
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 May 2004 04:19:15 pm    Post subject:

Bryan Thomas wrote:
OK OK,I understand what you guys are saying, however I do not think that It is the right type of gameplay for this game. In the REAL contra you could jump and change directions, in mario you can jump and change directions. And I want this game to be faithful to the original games as much as possible. Also the jump button is used to climb ladders, and platforms, so It has to jump you up first. I like the way the jumping is now and I have no intention of changing it. Sorry

Fair enough.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 May 2004 04:25:30 pm    Post subject:

I just commented on the lack of realism, I don't want you to change it and people who are used to this lack of realism will think the real thing is weird.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 3 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement