This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Community News & Discuss Nspire => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Apr 2004 02:38:51 pm    Post subject:

Affiliated Press: 10:21am CST wrote:
DALLAS (April 1, 2004) - Texas Instruments (TI) [NYSE: TXN] issued the  following statement reguarding legal actions pending between TI and 20 internet file sharers.

"We face the dillema of cathing up to some 100,000 seperate copyright infringements" said TI legal advisor Karl Kruger.  "But we are prepared to take these cases to the federal court system."

Beginning Monday, US District Courts will hear arguments from TI represenatives alleging illegal tempering of the company's graphing platforms.  Critics say the move comes as a bold challenge to the validity of the General Public License (GPL).

According to Kruger, software file sharing became popularized during the mid 90's, when the company's legal staff claimed only its own operating systems as proprietary software.  During that time, internet file sharers were able to develop thousands of applications for online distribution.  Recenly however, TI has overhauled its legal policy, extending existing claims to its graphing platforms.

When asked if the company would pursue individual programmers, TI refused to comment, but stated: "We will continue to reinforce our current terms of protection."

Several targeted file sharers include popular web distributors such as TI Calc, which holds a large archive of the shared code.  Many distributors have turned towards the Free Software Foundation (FSF) for legal defense.  FSF representatives revealed few details on the case, but offered several breif statements.

"It is lunacy." said FSF legal secretary Katie Sanderson.  "In no way does U.S. Copyright Law condone the free exchange of private software."

The FSF is perhaps best known for its role in the Eldred v. Aschroft (2003) supreme court case.  In the landmark decision, the organization submitted an amicus curiae breif questioning the validity of the Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act (CETA).  Other plaintiffs behind the the Eldred case have began to shift the attention to creating a Public Domain Enhancement Act.

According to Sanderson, the District Court could provide it rulings in a matter of days or it could take several months.

--

AP-ES-04-01-04 1121EST
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Apr 2004 02:40:44 pm    Post subject:

April Fools! Heh heh. I made the whole thing up. Happy April 1st everyone!

(Don't hurt me!) Evil or Very Mad
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Apr 2004 02:43:28 pm    Post subject:

My failure to find this anywhere else with Google might have been a dead giveaway. Also, the US Constitution prohibits ex post facto laws such as
Quote:
Recenly however, TI has overhauled its legal policy, extending existing claims to its graphing platforms.

Last edited by Guest on 19 Jan 2008 12:47:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Apr 2004 03:15:05 pm    Post subject:

This april fools day sucks, I've been able to spot every single april fools day joke thing from the very moment someone started it's execution and on several occasions even before that (some people would really suck at poker) and none of them where remotely interesting.

HUGE_SMIRC_ON_FACE: YOUR SHOELACES ARE UNTIED!!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!!! OMG APRIL FOOLS!!! HAHAHAHA!
Neutral Somedays I wish I wasn't against pointless violence, or had a 10,000v taser in my pocket.

*person says we won't have to attend Dutch class*

*ZAP*

*person twitches several times, then lays still*

Last edited by Guest on 01 Apr 2004 03:19:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Apr 2004 04:25:20 pm    Post subject:

Somehow, other people seem to believe these jokes. My grandmother believed my mother when she said we were all in the airport at St. Petersburg because we got kicked out of the US - def. a stretch.
Jeffrey

Posted: 01 Apr 2004 04:37:29 pm    Post subject:

That was good, I believed it for a minute.

But "dilemma" was mispelled, you gave it two "ll"s and one "m". That kind of gave it away; most published items are read by editors several times. Otherwise the grammar sounds like Reuters published it. Very Happy You should write for the paper.
62 52 53 53
Formerly known as 62 52 53 53

Posted: 01 Apr 2004 04:53:08 pm    Post subject:

Since SCO exists, it wouldn't surprise me if they tried to do that.
Jeremiah Walgren
General Operations Director

Know-It-All

Posted: 01 Apr 2004 05:00:58 pm    Post subject:

Somehow, I can't quite imagine TI taking legal action against programmers for their graphing calculators. I mean, some of the main reasons people buy their calculators is for the games. It'd be a stupid move on their part if they actually did that.

In recent news, my school plans on removing our football field and building a 5-level parking garage. Completion date of 2010.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Apr 2004 05:17:23 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I noticed "catching" was misspelled too, but I thought it'd look suspicious if it said "edited" at the bottom. I probably should've ran it through a spell-checker. I don't think TI will ever go after programmers, but I always worry about them swiping ideas. Evil or Very Mad
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 02 Apr 2004 12:09:22 am    Post subject:

for those of us developing our own OS's, we do have this to worry about....
Jeremiah Walgren

Know-It-All

Posted: 02 Apr 2004 09:35:30 am    Post subject:

Darth Android wrote:

Unless TI goes really crazy... But I don't think they will. At least, I hope they don't. Neutral
JeePee

Posted: 02 Apr 2004 09:36:06 am    Post subject:

Darth Android wrote:

http://www.detachedsolutions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1676
--> look at this :D

Now we can make our own OS, but only if it's from the scratch ...
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 02 Apr 2004 06:26:29 pm    Post subject:

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYY!!!!!

MAYBE MV will start CEPTIC up again! :D

/me is a very happy person.
(IRC is burned upon my very soul Laughing)
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 02 Apr 2004 07:44:57 pm    Post subject:

he has been able to continue for a while now.

dont forget Kieth was told to stop making his scratch OS
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 03 Apr 2004 05:02:44 am    Post subject:

But now you can just reply by quoting that message from TI when they try to get you to stop making an OS.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 03 Apr 2004 10:24:18 pm    Post subject:

What did TI's original message sound like? I wanted to quote part of it but they told Keith to stop talking about it. I'd think a scratch OS would be good for business seeing as Keith did it at no cost. Bah, that's lawyers for ya! Very Happy
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Apr 2004 11:49:27 am    Post subject:

Jeremiah Walgren wrote:
Somehow, I can't quite imagine TI taking legal action against programmers for their graphing calculators.  I mean, some of the main reasons people buy their calculators is for the games.  It'd be a stupid move on their part if they actually did that.

Well, the 'stupid move' part kind of suggests it to TI as the best choice of action.
Quote:
In recent news, my school plans on removing our football field and building a 5-level parking garage.  Completion date of 2010.

Same here, except not 5-level.
Letter from TI:
Quote:
Jason,

I spoke with Herb Foster about this issue. He explained that his original e-mail was in response to the question of modifying the TI operating system to remove the Finance App. The TI OS is licensed software. That license does not grant you permission to modify the operating system. You are legally allowed to write your own operating system, provided it is not based on, or use ANY code from our licensed operating system. TI will not support the use of any third party operating system, and our warranty will not protect the user from any failure due to the use of a third party operating system.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Best regards,

Brian Dean
Developer Support
I'd say this is pretty good.
Jeremiah Walgren

Know-It-All

Posted: 04 Apr 2004 03:00:26 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Well, the 'stupid move' part kind of suggests it to TI as the best choice of action.

They don't exactly have the best history of decision making...

Quote:
I'd say this is pretty good.

I second that.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Apr 2004 03:07:49 pm    Post subject:

I see. So it's more like a warranty/damage type of issue?
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 04 Apr 2004 03:28:01 pm    Post subject:

kinda. it looks like Brian copied and pasted the stuff between "jason," and "i hope this info..."
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement