This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Community News & Discuss Nspire => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Jan 2004 05:18:00 pm    Post subject:

62 52 53 53 wrote:
So, you'd take your laptop to the bathroom, and take it with you to the cafeteria, and to the front of the room to pick up a paper, and...

And anyway, I don't want to have anything with Spyware. That's a blatant invasion of privacy, and I wouldn't let anyone do that just so I could have a laptop.

You said everything I was going to say.

Quote:
3) My school is such that the laptop would get stolen if I left it somewhere for 1 minute."
Carrying something around is not about leaving it so it can be stolen.

I would look really silly running laps with a laptop in PE class.
shadowing
Powered by 64

Calc Guru

Posted: 14 Jan 2004 08:32:29 pm    Post subject:

O.K. I will stop mentioning Toshiba. However, I'll mention one more thing mentioning laptops: DO NOT get Dell!!! And yes, I prefer simple instead of hard questions. Can anyone tell the differences between 89 and 89 T.
Jeremiah Walgren
General Operations Director

Know-It-All

Posted: 14 Jan 2004 08:42:06 pm    Post subject:

If you can't tell for yourself then you have some serious problems.

I mean, just look at it for one. Other than that, preloaded apps, three times the memory, and the nifty USB port.
shadowing
Powered by 64

Calc Guru

Posted: 14 Jan 2004 09:01:35 pm    Post subject:

I meant besides those obvious things. Hey can the usb port be able to access a hard drive, or a dvd burner and be able to use them?
Jeremiah Walgren

Know-It-All

Posted: 14 Jan 2004 09:03:04 pm    Post subject:

I highly doubt it. That would require TI to add some code to the OS that would enable those devices to actually work with the calculator.
shadowing
Powered by 64

Calc Guru

Posted: 14 Jan 2004 09:09:30 pm    Post subject:

However, maybe someone else would find a way. Maybe they could make a program to do it.
Jeremiah Walgren

Know-It-All

Posted: 14 Jan 2004 10:59:43 pm    Post subject:

Alright, think of the size then? The driver itself would probably be small, but why on earth would you want to connect a hard drive to your calculator? And for a DVD burner or something like that, just how big would the program need to be to actually use such a thing? You'd only be able to burn two megs worth of stuff on it anyway. Waste of a DVD/CD.

Now, if TI had put an SD card slot or something like that in their calculator then that'd be something.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 Jan 2004 06:03:24 am    Post subject:

62 52 53 53 wrote:
And anyway, I don't want to have anything with Spyware. That's a blatant invasion of privacy, and I wouldn't let anyone do that just so I could have a laptop.

9 out of 10 says your comp is already swarming with it.

And, most of the times, you install spyware yourself so you can't blame anybody but yourself then. It's your own fault you don't know what the software you install does.

Quote:
I would look really silly running laps with a laptop in PE class.
What are you running around for? Aren't you supposed to sit down in class?

Besides, do you want to take a laptop to school or not? You can, it's a fact, you just don't want to because you're afraid it'll be stolen or you look silly.

Last edited by Guest on 15 Jan 2004 06:06:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 15 Jan 2004 09:03:09 am    Post subject:

shadowing wrote:
DO NOT get Dell!!!

i resent that statement.

i would rather have Dell than any other brand of computer on the market.

Toshiba's are ssssllllloooooowwwwwwww.
Toksyuryel
Crimson Dragon Software

Elite

Posted: 15 Jan 2004 10:41:33 am    Post subject:

As far as commercial laptops go, Dell is the way to go. But you're screwed if you ever want to upgrade it. I say build your own. Or get someone to build it for you.
Jeremiah Walgren

Know-It-All

Posted: 15 Jan 2004 12:08:20 pm    Post subject:

Amen to that.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 Jan 2004 12:18:51 pm    Post subject:

JACstudios_ceo wrote:
But you're screwed if you ever want to upgrade it.

How's that?
Toksyuryel
Crimson Dragon Software

Elite

Posted: 15 Jan 2004 04:13:42 pm    Post subject:

Dells use proprietary(sp?) hardware and have strange case designs making them difficult to open and harder to make any better.
62 52 53 53
Formerly known as 62 52 53 53

Posted: 15 Jan 2004 04:20:21 pm    Post subject:

Actually I A) have a program to get rid of spyware Cool periodically delete any cookies I don't recognize C) search all EULAs for terms such as "spyware" D) keep track of what tasks my computer runs in the background.
Jeremiah Walgren

Know-It-All

Posted: 15 Jan 2004 05:12:13 pm    Post subject:

That would certainly be a nice program to have. Where'd you get it?
shadowing