Login [Register]
Don't have an account? Register now to chat, post, use our tools, and much more.
This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's General Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Open Topic & United-TI Talk => General Open Topic
Author Message
wjbudd


Newbie


Joined: 25 Dec 2010
Posts: 46

Posted: 26 Jan 2011 06:54:14 am    Post subject:

I noticed today that the new Casio Prizm, which is direct competition for the nspire, is now available through Amazon.com. I did a google search and read some rave reviews. They are all very exciting. One even called the Prizm the "ti-nspire killer." This thing is beautiful. It's the iphone of the calculator world. It's something to get excited about again! Check it out. Very Happy
Back to top
wjbudd


Newbie


Joined: 25 Dec 2010
Posts: 46

Posted: 26 Jan 2011 07:05:28 am    Post subject:

Heres a link to some programing info:
http://www.omnimaga.org/index.php?topic=6095.0
Back to top
montytyper


Newbie


Joined: 06 Nov 2010
Posts: 13

Posted: 01 Feb 2011 09:28:49 pm    Post subject:

The Prizm came out in stores on the 16th, not the 26th. It had been available on-line for some time before then.

Furthermore, I think your comments about the fx-CG10/20 as Nspire killers are rather mistaken. The Prizm has far fewer functions mathwise than the Nspire, particularly with regard to the CAS models. The Prizm is much more closely matched with the TI-84+ SE. The Prizm's BASIC interpreter is even slower than than that of the TI-84+ SE. Indeed, the only significant things the Prizm has over the z80 calcs are the color screen and the fast math functions.

As for programming the Prizm, it's not as open as you appear to believe. Casio has repeatedly denied requests for more information about the Prizm and we have been forced to hack everything that has been discovered. It's not terribly easy to write assembly programs when you have a RISC instruction set, no knowledge of the system, and have to recompute checksums every time you change the code.
Back to top
wjbudd


Newbie


Joined: 25 Dec 2010
Posts: 46

Posted: 03 Feb 2011 04:14:41 pm    Post subject:

Qwerty.55 wrote:

Furthermore, I think your comments about the fx-CG10/20 as Nspire killers are rather mistaken. The Prizm has far fewer functions mathwise than the Nspire, particularly with regard to the CAS models. The Prizm is much more closely matched with the TI-84+ SE. The Prizm's BASIC interpreter is even slower than than that of the TI-84+ SE. Indeed, the only significant things the Prizm has over the z80 calcs are the color screen and the fast math functions.

As for programming the Prizm, it's not as open as you appear to believe.


I'd like to comment on "The Prizm has far fewer functions mathwise than the Nspire, particularly with regard to the CAS models." That is not a fair comparison. That is like me saying that the nspire has far fewer functions mathwise than the Casio Classpad, which is true.

The Prizm, is a non-cas calculator and competes with the "non-cas" nspire. The Classpad 330 which is Casio's top of the line cas calculator is mathematically superior to TI's nspire cas calculator which is TI's top of the line cas calculator.

Also, Casio is going to offer an SDK for the Prizm. Be patient, the Prizm has only been in production and stores for a few weeks while the nspire has been in stores for about 3 years and has no SDK. Perhaps you confused the nspire with the Prizm. The nspire required a big hacking effort and ndless.
Back to top
montytyper


Newbie


Joined: 06 Nov 2010
Posts: 13

Posted: 03 Feb 2011 06:47:26 pm    Post subject:

They're going to release an SDK for the Prizm? Neutral

Golly, and I thought the multiple e-mails explicitly stating otherwise were true.

Quote:
However we regret to say that Casio has no schedule for... releasin=
g Software Development Kit for Prism as of now.


Quote:
However we regret to say that Casio has no schedule for releasing a SDK for Prism
as for now.


Quote:
However we regret to say that Casio has no schedule for disclosing the details of file format and releasing Software Development Kit for Prism as for now.
Your understanding would be highly appreciated.


[Ellipses mine]
http://www.omnimaga.org/index.php?topic=5610.msg104181#msg104181
http://www.omnimaga.org/index.php?topic=5610.msg107269#msg107269
Back to top
DJ Omnimaga
http://i-lost-the-ga.me


Calc Guru


Joined: 14 Nov 2003
Posts: 1196

Posted: 03 Feb 2011 07:03:59 pm    Post subject:

Ya Casio USA and Japan don't seem on a hurry to release a SDK. With the Classpad it took 2 years, so maybe in 2 years there'll be one, but I bet the TI community will have made one beforehand.

That said, it is not guaranteed that Casio will release one, though. We'll have to see, I guess.

Personally I think the Prizm is both superior and inferior to the 84+ Silver Edition. It has higher RAM and a color screen, but it's so incredibly slow!
Back to top
wjbudd


Newbie


Joined: 25 Dec 2010
Posts: 46

Posted: 04 Feb 2011 03:58:29 am    Post subject:

Qwerty.55 wrote:

They're going to release an SDK for the Prizm? Neutral

Golly, and I thought the multiple e-mails explicitly stating otherwise were true.

Quote:
However we regret to say that Casio has no schedule for... releasin=
g Software Development Kit for Prism as of now.


Quote:
However we regret to say that Casio has no schedule for releasing a SDK for Prism
as for now.


Quote:
However we regret to say that Casio has no schedule for disclosing the details of file format and releasing Software Development Kit for Prism as for now.
Your understanding would be highly appreciated.


[Ellipses mine]
http://www.omnimaga.org/index.php?topic=5610.msg104181#msg104181
http://www.omnimaga.org/index.php?topic=5610.msg107269#msg107269


Those msg's do not say there will be no sdk, they say that Casio declined to set a release date.
Back to top
Sven.Thomas0


Active Member


Joined: 19 May 2009
Posts: 520

Posted: 04 Feb 2011 11:25:55 am    Post subject:

Ah, so if TI is unclear in there responses or they avoid direct answers it is because they are absolutely opposed to third party development, but if Casio does this then, well, it doesn't mean they aren't going to! Ah, okay, I see. That makes more sense, I mean, sheesh, for a second I thought that was one of our arguments for TI that you continued to debate and try to shoot down. It must not apply to other companies, especially the ones that use color screens.
Back to top
montytyper


Newbie


Joined: 06 Nov 2010
Posts: 13

Posted: 05 Feb 2011 03:54:07 pm    Post subject:

JBB wrote:


Those msg's do not say there will be no sdk, they say that Casio declined to set a release date.



Ah, okay. I must have confused your statement that
Quote:
Also, Casio is going to offer an SDK for the Prizm
with actual knowledge on the subject. Thanks for clarifying Smile
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are GMT - 5 Hours

 

Advertisement