This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Community News & Discuss Nspire => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
bwang

Posted: 28 Feb 2010 06:57:30 pm    Post subject:

Ndless is an amazing utility, and works beautifully. Unfortunately, OS 1.1 has an evil bug that makes it rather difficult to turn the calculator on. Is anyone willing to write an OS patch/tool to turn the calculator on? Maybe a small program that when run, turns the Nspire off and then listens for the ON key to be pressed, upon which it turns the Nspire back on?
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 28 Feb 2010 07:30:25 pm    Post subject:

Just out of curiosity, is this an issue for all calculators, or only the newer ones that were sold with a later OS and then downgraded?
calc84maniac

Elite

Posted: 28 Feb 2010 08:04:07 pm    Post subject:

FloppusMaximus wrote:
Just out of curiosity, is this an issue for all calculators, or only the newer ones that were sold with a later OS and then downgraded?

I am the only developer that encountered it prior to the release of Ndless, and yes, my Nspires are fairly new (both acquired within the last year)

Edit:
Also, this problem is unrelated to Ndless. I encountered it when I downgraded before I got the first Ndless beta.

Last edited by Guest on 28 Feb 2010 08:04:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
bwang

Posted: 28 Feb 2010 11:20:41 pm    Post subject:

Mine is also pretty new (I got it in early June 2009)
Smartzkid

Posted: 01 Mar 2010 08:46:55 pm    Post subject:

In response to your question on the other topic: Mine is new as well; I got it this calendar year.
calc84maniac

Elite

Posted: 01 Mar 2010 10:50:29 pm    Post subject:

This should be a quick fix. Before turning off the calc, select this program. After turning on the calculator, press Enter or click to run it, and it will reset for you.
bwang

Posted: 01 Mar 2010 11:36:42 pm    Post subject:

Excellent! It works. Only side effect is that it makes turning the Nspire on and off a bit slow, but it's certainly better than having to pull a battery.

EDIT: I wonder if all that rebooting hurts the Flash ROM. calc84maniac, is it possible to make it just power on the calculator?

Last edited by Guest on 01 Mar 2010 11:56:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
calc84maniac

Elite

Posted: 02 Mar 2010 12:15:38 am    Post subject:

bwang wrote:
Excellent! It works. Only side effect is that it makes turning the Nspire on and off a bit slow, but it's certainly better than having to pull a battery.

EDIT: I wonder if all that rebooting hurts the Flash ROM. calc84maniac, is it possible to make it just power on the calculator?

No way that I know of. The normal screen initialization function doesn't work. And rebooting shouldn't hurt Flash ROM... I mean, it's not writing to Flash on reboot, right?
bwang

Posted: 02 Mar 2010 12:25:41 am    Post subject:

Good point. I guess we will just have to wait until we figure out the hardware details and can turn on the screen ourselves.
Goplat

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 02 Mar 2010 09:50:32 am    Post subject:

calc84maniac wrote:
And rebooting shouldn't hurt Flash ROM... I mean, it's not writing to Flash on reboot, right?
You're assuming that the programmers at TI don't suck. Smile On nspire_emu I can see that BOOT2 re-writes the 16kB file "A:\phoenix\manuf.dat" on every startup.

In theory, if the 30MB filesystem is wearleveled perfectly, as the flash is rated for 100,000 write cycles, you could write 3,000,000MB to the flash before it fails, or 192,000,000 reboots. In practice it'll probably be an order of magnitude less than this (maybe I'll use the emu to get some hard data when I have more time) but that's still plenty unless you make a habit of rebooting several times per minute.

Actually, this is really nothing compared to that the OS actually writes to flash every time you just open a document. Sad That's just inexcusable.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement