This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's TI-BASIC subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. TI-Basic => TI-BASIC
john massey

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 05 Nov 2009 07:01:09 am    Post subject:

I would like to have a scrolling program to use on the home screen.
My "musts" list is not very long.
1) Since this is going to be used by children it must be user friendly when used in the program. The child must be able to control the scrolling, somehow. It would "be nice" if the child could use the function keys at the top of the 84 to do this. Like "STOP" and "GO" buttons or "SLOWER" and "FASTER" buttons.
2) By whatever means it must not bifurcate text. We are having trouble with getting children to read let alone , deciphering a bifurcated word.
My "wants" list is long and is based on my limited capabilities.
1) I need to be able to load the application. If the available scrolling program does not have simple instructions, this old bird with limited memory, will need some hand holding☺
2) It would be nice if I could work in TI connect, check it out there and then install it there in the application. Doing all that in the calculator will not be fun but I can manage that.

john
dxfan101010

Posted: 05 Nov 2009 01:59:32 pm    Post subject:

How long are the words you are trying to use? are they all going to be in the program or inputed into a string Ill put my code into this post when i get home
john massey

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 05 Nov 2009 02:45:56 pm    Post subject:

I am working with some folks on the TI developers site. I, We are trying to get the code below running. The line of code that begins with B+ is where the trouble is. The compiler somehow does not like the = signs. But here is where we are now. I did not expect some much talented responses. If you want to think about something, nothing has been said about the scroller cutting up words. In the word processing world, it is called bifurcation. If nobody can figure how to prevent bifurcation, I will just half to put spaces in the code. Here is the code present version. I took out the comments out of the code. You can see the program on the developers site if you are not able to dope out what is going on.

"Hi there Today we are going to do some more math flash cards. Remember when your hand help super computer stops, that is your sign that it is waiting for you to do something, so you should press the enter key. The enter key is on the right hand side at the bottom of your super computer keyboard. You should remember that when you see the ? you need to decide on a value to solve the flash card problem. Then press the white keys and press enter. The super computer now waits for you to study the screen to see what has happened."→Str2
1→B
For(A,1,length(Str2)-16
Output(1,1,"sub(Str2,A,16
getKey→K
B+(k=24)-(K=26)->B
rand(B
End

john
thepenguin77

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 05 Nov 2009 07:47:32 pm    Post subject:

I found your problem. The "rand(B" does not accept inputs less than 1. So the first time you push to the right, B goes to zero and does a domain error.

To fix this you could change it to:

B+(k=24)-(k=26)->B
(B=0)+B->B

This way if B=0, it adds 1, therefore making B=1.
ztrumpet

Posted: 05 Nov 2009 07:57:58 pm    Post subject:

thepenguin77 wrote:
I found your problem. The "rand(B" does not accept inputs less than 1. So the first time you push to the right, B goes to zero and does a domain error.

To fix this you could change it to:

B+(k=24)-(k=26)->B
(B=0)+B->B

This way if B=0, it adds 1, therefore making B=1.

Or, to optimize:

B+(K=24)-(K=26
Ans+not(Ans→B
john massey

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 05 Nov 2009 08:29:42 pm    Post subject:

the program as shown does not run as anticipated after I made the changes you suggested. The program runs but hangs up on the output line of code. The home screen shows sub( and the remainder of the line. The processor runs for a while. I can tell because those small dashes on the upper right side are running for a while. While I am not a programmer I would like to say that I think the quotation mark should not be there since the code beyond the quotation mark is code not text.
dxfan101010

Posted: 05 Nov 2009 08:55:44 pm    Post subject:

johnuts wrote:
the program as shown does not run as anticipated after I made the changes you suggested. The program runs but hangs up on the output line of code. The home screen shows sub( and the remainder of the line. The processor runs for a while. I can tell because those small dashes on the upper right side are running for a while. While I am not a programmer I would like to say that I think the quotation mark should not be there since the code beyond the quotation mark is code not text.

Try it!
Ok it works
But 1→b should be 4 or five to slow it down(at least on my calc) but the words are still split ummyou could just us output with spaces like

hBla bla blan
bla blablabla

and do 16 lines of characters than pause and after pause anothe 16 and so no although it is lazyand then another 16

Last edited by Guest on 05 Nov 2009 09:02:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
thepenguin77

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 05 Nov 2009 09:21:57 pm    Post subject:

Yes definitely remove the quotation mark. I kind of just thought it was a typo.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement