This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's General Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Open Topic & United-TI Talk => General Open Topic
Graphmastur

Advanced Member

Posted: 30 Sep 2009 09:18:04 pm    Post subject:

TheStorm wrote:
There is a lawsuit currently in progress with BrandonW and a few to the other people who received the notices through the EFF see http://www.eff.org/ for info. Though I'm not 100% sure on the details I sure TI is going to have some consequences for their false notices.

Well, let's hope we don't lose. (Knocks on wood)

I wish he did updates. (Goes to brandonw.net...)
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Sep 2009 10:05:33 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I'm curious to learn EFF's approach to these cases.
travise

Posted: 01 Oct 2009 04:34:41 pm    Post subject:

Are you sure it's a lawsuit? I thought that the initial plan was for EFF to send out letters to TI, wait a couple of weeks, then we put the keys back up and see if TI goes any further.
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 01 Oct 2009 06:21:35 pm    Post subject:

TravisE wrote:
Are you sure it's a lawsuit? I thought that the initial plan was for EFF to send out letters to TI, wait a couple of weeks, then we put the keys back up and see if TI goes any further.

Like I said I'm not 100% on the detials, you may be righ,t but last I heard there was a lawsuit in progress.
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 01 Oct 2009 08:28:09 pm    Post subject:

We are not discussing the details publicly, but yes, the EFF is involved with several people (myself included) to fight these DMCA notices. We've done nothing wrong by posting the keys, and we are fighting for our right to display them (and I personally have no doubt that we'll prevail).

I have no idea what'll happen to TI, but I believe we'll all soon be able to post the keys without fear of TI legal threats.
critor

Posted: 02 Oct 2009 12:39:33 pm    Post subject:

brandonw wrote:
I have no idea what'll happen to TI,

We don't care.

They aren't able to build interesting calculators, or develop interesting operating systems any more.

When I'm contacting TI-Cares about z80/68k calculators, they never answer to my questions... They usually say that I should look on TI web site, and that they won't provide any information, application or OS that isn't available on their web site.
(they don't send old OS any more)

TI-Cares don't care about any not-nSpire calculator.

TI only believes in nSpire.

So let's crack the nSpire, and then we might have new interesting calculators... or nothing (which wouldn't be worse than now)
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 02 Oct 2009 04:28:20 pm    Post subject:

Its Nspire not nSpire, look at the about screen if you need proof.

But yeah it does seem that they've put all their money in one ship, which seems to be sinking rather rapidly.

Last edited by Guest on 02 Oct 2009 04:28:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Oct 2009 06:48:49 pm    Post subject:

critor wrote:
brandonw wrote:
I have no idea what'll happen to TI,

We don't care.

Right on! After all, they're the sole source of these platforms. So, this couldn't possibly backfire on the end user. :roll:

Personally, I just hope TI uses this snafu as a hint to make its product development strategy more community-driven like it once was--rather than continue in this new direction they've been experimenting with. It would clearly save both sides at lot of unnecessary trouble.

Last edited by Guest on 02 Oct 2009 06:56:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
IAmACalculator
In a state of quasi-hiatus

Know-It-All

Posted: 03 Oct 2009 10:07:56 am    Post subject:

Honestly, the programming/hacking portion of their market is minuscule in comparison with the OTHER thousands of people who buy their calculators. Heck, TI's calculator division is pretty minuscule in comparison with all the semiconductor stuff they do. Really, as long as they keep turning out calculators that are fairly easy to use and faster than the last model, people will buy them. In the grand scheme of things, we don't really matter that much to them.
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 03 Oct 2009 12:25:26 pm    Post subject:

IAmACalculator wrote:
Honestly, the programming/hacking portion of their market is minuscule in comparison with the OTHER thousands of people who buy their calculators. Heck, TI's calculator division is pretty minuscule in comparison with all the semiconductor stuff they do. Really, as long as they keep turning out calculators that are fairly easy to use and faster than the last model, people will buy them. In the grand scheme of things, we don't really matter that much to them.

Except that their latest model isn't faster or easier to use than the previous ones. They can't even produce a usable calculator anymore...it was released before the OS was complete (it still isn't), and even teachers and students complain about it, not just us.
critor

Posted: 03 Oct 2009 01:42:50 pm    Post subject:

IAmACalculator wrote:

Programmers are a very small portion... let's admit it.

But student who download and use programs, are an important portion.

And all students can see on the Internet that:
- there are much less programes for the Nspire than for the z80/68k...
- the quality (graphics / user interaction) of these programs is very inferior
thepenguin77

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 03 Oct 2009 02:49:23 pm    Post subject:

critor wrote:
But student who download and use programs, are an important portion.

And all students can see on the Internet that:
- there are much less programes for the Nspire than for the z80/68k...
- the quality (graphics / user interaction) of these programs is very inferior

Last year I actually had two friends buy Nspires because they thoght they were better. But after a week of school, they took them back when they learned that there were no games.
Graphmastur

Advanced Member

Posted: 11 Oct 2009 04:53:04 pm    Post subject:

Any news on this, brandon? Did you go to court?
calcdude84se

Posted: 11 Oct 2009 05:09:17 pm    Post subject:

I could post my opinion on this, but it would just be another rant Sad. However, I would be interested to know where this is going legally.
Basically, my question is: How are we (community or those individuals explicitly involved) coming along in this legal battle (I hoped United-TI would never have to face things like the DMCA, but it is). Are we winning, losing? Has anything significant happened?
The only thing I can think I really know is that a lot of us think TI is in a losing position.
(I hate legal matters...)
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 11 Oct 2009 05:27:35 pm    Post subject:

More will be posted on this everywhere tomorrow. It's going well, and TI doesn't have a legal leg to stand on.

I'm confident that we'll all prove that we have the right to post the keys anywhere we want and use them as we wish.
Graphmastur

Advanced Member

Posted: 11 Oct 2009 05:41:19 pm    Post subject:

That's good to hear. But why tomorrow. You know the saying, Never put to tomorrow, what you can do today.

Thanks for the update!
calcdude84se

Posted: 11 Oct 2009 06:46:33 pm    Post subject:

Yes, thanks. We'll follow this to the end. (I will, anyway. :biggrin:)
Mapar007

Advanced Member

Posted: 12 Oct 2009 03:24:29 pm    Post subject:

Seconded.
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 Oct 2009 09:42:23 pm    Post subject:

http://www.eff.org/press/archives/2009/10/13
http://yro.slashdot.org/story/09/10/13/233...lator-Hobbyists
http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-10374284-264.html
http://www.boingboing.net/2009/10/13/eff-c...to-the-res.html
http://www.eff.org/files/filenode/coders/T...tr%20101309.pdf

I personally love all the terms they're using to refer to us...hackers, researchers, hobbyists.

I would think that from all the publicity this is getting, TI will have to stop bothering us just because it'll ruin their PR anyways.

Last edited by Guest on 13 Oct 2009 09:44:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michael

Posted: 13 Oct 2009 10:33:16 pm    Post subject:

Don't forget Ars Technica: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/20...ulator-hack.ars
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 16 of 19 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement