This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's TI-BASIC subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. TI-Basic => TI-BASIC
United-TI Archives -> TI-Basic

» Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
thebetter1

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 03 Nov 2008 07:48:08 pm    Post subject:

How can I make my text sprite maps have walkable non-blank tiles? If I erase the tile when the character walks on, I will have to put it back when he walks off. If I try to redraw that tile with the regular text method, it will bleed into the tile to the right, so I would have to redraw the entire row. The only other method I can think of is to take a pixel matrix of the tile and save it, then redraw the pixels, which is extremely slow. Anyone know of a faster solution?
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 03 Nov 2008 07:58:40 pm    Post subject:

A possibility is to use StorePic to save the map and then use RecallPic when a part of it needs to be replaced.

Last edited by Guest on 11 Jul 2010 06:07:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 03 Nov 2008 08:02:33 pm    Post subject:

Weregoose wrote:
A possibility is to use StorePic to save the map and then use RecallPic when a part of it needs to be replaced.
[post="128444"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Just note that if you do that, that RecallPic recalls a picture in an OR fashion, so make sure you erase the character before you recall the pic.

OR essentially means that white pixels are transparent:

So if you or'ed this:

Over this:

You would get this:

Last edited by Guest on 11 Jul 2010 06:07:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Galandros

Posted: 04 Nov 2008 04:17:52 pm    Post subject:

Erase the character by text spaces is faster than a complete ClrDraw?
I think yes, but not sure.

But if you have more than a tile or you want to cut bytes use ClrDraw before the recall.

Have fun.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Nov 2008 04:33:40 pm    Post subject:

Galandros wrote:

But if you have more than a tile or you want to cut bytes use ClrDraw before the recall.

Have fun.
[post="128455"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
It's irrelevant whether or not it's faster (it is). You have to erase things before you StorePic, so if you clear the whole screen you won't have the screen saved anywhere. Even if you did, it would cause bad flicker every time you moved.
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Nov 2008 04:46:11 pm    Post subject:

DarkerLine wrote:
Galandros wrote:

Have fun.
[post="128455"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
It's irrelevant whether or not it's faster (it is). You have to erase things before you StorePic, so if you clear the whole screen you won't have the screen saved anywhere. Even if you did, it would cause bad flicker every time you moved.
[post="128456"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
"Bad" is a very gentle term for what I'm thinking...

"Horribly annoying and agonizingly slow" would probably be better.
thebetter1

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 04 Nov 2008 09:53:48 pm    Post subject:

Okay, the recallpic method does work and is actually fast enough to notice the delay for holding the arrow keys. Now hopefully I can find a way to draw the screen in less than 45 seconds...
darkstone knight

Advanced Member

Posted: 05 Nov 2008 04:15:34 am    Post subject:

45 seconds?

i can probaly do it in 10 seconds... possibly less
TI-newb

Posted: 10 Mar 2009 08:44:04 pm    Post subject:

Harrierfalcon wrote:
Weregoose wrote:
[post="128444"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Just note that if you do that, that RecallPic recalls a picture in an OR fashion, so make sure you erase the character before you recall the pic.

OR essentially means that white pixels are transparent:

So if you or'ed this:

Over this:

You would get this:

kay, what is this Binary Code for? like.. Pt on? or Pxl on?? xDD, cause this Binary code is for drawing Sprites am i right? so if anyone can tell me, i would love to know.

Last edited by Guest on 11 Jul 2010 06:08:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 10 Mar 2009 08:51:19 pm    Post subject:

I was just saying that that's how Pic's are drawn onto the screen when you use RecallPic.

Last edited by Guest on 11 Jul 2010 06:07:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 10 Mar 2009 08:52:51 pm    Post subject:

The binary is just used to represent the sprite. On the forums it's easier to use 1's and 0's for pixel on/off than making and attaching a picture.
thebetter1

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 08 Apr 2009 10:36:31 pm    Post subject:

darkstone knight wrote:
45 seconds?

i can probaly do it in 10 seconds... possibly less

10 seconds??? Exactly how are you doing this? Just recently I got it down to 24, and that routine uses over 70 text instructions in each execution of the For loop.
darkstone knight

Advanced Member

Posted: 09 Apr 2009 08:53:49 am    Post subject:

download donut quest

http://tibasicdev.wikidot.com/donut-quest
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 09 Apr 2009 01:21:34 pm    Post subject:

thebetter1 wrote:
10 seconds??? Exactly how are you doing this? Just recently I got it down to 24, and that routine uses over 70 text instructions in each execution of the For loop.

What calculator do you have? And could you post the code you're using?

darkstone knight wrote:

I believe the operative word in your previous post was I. Also, on my 84+SE DonutQuest renders a map in ~8 seconds but on my 83+ it takes ~21 seconds, so the calculator in use it kind of important Wink
TKD_01

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 10 Apr 2009 02:46:01 pm    Post subject:

24 seconds is...not too bad. I'm thinking it could be faster. How complex is this map you're trying to make (like what are you putting on it)?

One other thing:
Storing a picture takes a heck of a lot of memory (767 bytes per picture), so you should be sparing in how many pictures you're storing, or else you could cause an overflow (correct term?) of RAM, which will result in a crash. Just be mindful of that Smile

Last edited by Guest on 10 Apr 2009 02:49:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 10 Apr 2009 02:57:55 pm    Post subject:

TKD_01 wrote:
One other thing:
Storing a picture takes a heck of a lot of memory (767 bytes per picture), so you should be sparing in how many pictures you're storing, or else you could cause an overflow (correct term?) of RAM, which will result in a crash. Just be mindful of that Smile

Unless you use an Asm utility you're limited to 10 pictures anyways (but 767 bytes still is kind of a big chunk of memory). Also, I think in this case there's only one extra picture, which would just be used as a temporary buffer to save the screen and then be deleted.
TKD_01

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 10 Apr 2009 03:33:11 pm    Post subject:

simplethinker wrote:
TKD_01 wrote:
One other thing:

Unless you use an Asm utility you're limited to 10 pictures anyways (but 767 bytes still is kind of a big chunk of memory). Also, I think in this case there's only one extra picture, which would just be used as a temporary buffer to save the screen and then be deleted.

Right, right. I was only noting that because when people receive/download a program, many times, they are led to believe that that's how much memory they're using up, so, as long as they have that much RAM free, they're good to go. I know most people with the least bit of sense wouldnt leave <767 bytes of RAM open, but you always have those rare few.
--The only reason I'm commenting on this is because this happened to one of my friends with a program that I created (when I had very little experience), in which I stored 7 pictures (like an idiot), which took up an extra 5k of RAM. When he ran the program, it caused a memory leak, thus rendering his calculator useless. I've felt pretty bad ever since, so that's why I'm cautious about this subject.

@thebetter1: You could (and should) do the picture storing, just remeber that you have to draw the picture one time before storing it into a Pic.

Also, you can actually have all ten pictures active at one time, you just have to be smart about it: unarchive the one you're going to use, and archive the other 9 that you're not using Smile
...where's my EasyButton...

Last edited by Guest on 10 Apr 2009 03:37:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 10 Apr 2009 03:41:00 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
When he ran the program, it caused a memory leak, thus rendering his calculator useless. I've felt pretty bad ever since, so that's why I'm cautious about this subject.

A memory leak is when you jump out of a block of code and skip an End (like an If:Then:End, For, While, etc...). After you quit there shouldn't be a problem. Do you mean he got a memory error? All it takes to fix that is delete/archive some stuff in RAM, or a reset, and if that doesn't work then pull the batteries and put them back in. If that doesn't work then there was something more than not enough RAM going wrong.
TKD_01

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 10 Apr 2009 03:58:59 pm    Post subject:

simplethinker wrote:
Quote:
When he ran the program, it caused a memory leak, thus rendering his calculator useless. I've felt pretty bad ever since, so that's why I'm cautious about this subject.

A memory leak is when you jump out of a block of code and skip an End (like an If:Then:End, For, While, etc...). After you quit there shouldn't be a problem. Do you mean he got a memory error? All it takes to fix that is delete/archive some stuff in RAM, or a reset, and if that doesn't work then pull the batteries and put them back in. If that doesn't work then there was something more than not enough RAM going wrong.

Sorry, I used 'memory leak' a bit loosely. What happened was after the the screen turned blank, he pressed the on button, and the screen turned on, but with pixels all over the place. We took the batteries out (yes, all of them), and the exact same thing happened. Each time he turned on his calculator, pixels appeared in random places, and any button he pressed caused a group of random pixels to pop up in different spots on the screen.

Now, I know that there should've been some sort of fail safe on that, but maybe it was because the call was too far out of the RAM that it corrupted OS data? Honestly, I don't know, but I do know that his calculator was done after that event. Albeit, he still has it. So, do you have any suggestions for possibly fixing it?
darkstone knight

Advanced Member

Posted: 10 Apr 2009 04:10:12 pm    Post subject:

basic can never (well... unless your name is tifreak8x..) crash your calc
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement