This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Cemetech News and Announcements subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. United-TI Announcements => Cemetech News and Announcements
United-TI Archives -> United-TI Announcements

» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
luby
I want to go back to Philmont!!

Calc Guru

Posted: 05 Feb 2008 09:47:55 pm    Post subject:

Hey, for the battery check part, couldn't you use this?
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 05 Feb 2008 10:09:42 pm    Post subject:

luby wrote:
Hey, for the battery check part, couldn't you use this?
[post="120029"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

wikiti wrote:
This BCALL only exists on OS 2.30 and above.

The better coice would be to steal the code from it and put it in place of all the extra crap that Kerm uses to find it. (contrast+ like five other things)
Plus he still needs to a now sorting message and optimize the crap out of it.

Last edited by Guest on 05 Feb 2008 10:29:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
mertz$$

Posted: 29 Feb 2008 07:58:18 pm    Post subject:

have it love it great

ummm
the start menu really has no point tho
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Mar 2008 09:03:21 am    Post subject:

TheStorm wrote:
The better coice would be to steal the code from it and put it in place of all the extra crap that kerm uses to find it.

no. TI is unfond of this.

[quote name='mertz$$' date='Feb 29 2008, 07:58 PM']have it love it great

ummm   
the start menu really has no point tho[/quote]
for changing settings? turning off the calc?
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 04 Mar 2008 09:33:32 pm    Post subject:

elfprince13 wrote:
no. TI is unfond of this.

Doesn't matter. :)

Port 3Ah is some sort of battery port, but who knows what it does, really...and the BCALL uses this. It probably doesn't exist on the 83+, though you could use its method on the others.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Mar 2008 07:41:33 pm    Post subject:

brandonw wrote:
Doesn't matter. :)

Port 3Ah is some sort of battery port, but who knows what it does, really...and the BCALL uses this. It probably doesn't exist on the 83+, though you could use its method on the others.
[post="121046"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

:P but that wouldn't decrease his code size at all which is what The Storm was complaining about.
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 06 Mar 2008 07:54:39 am    Post subject:

Actually it would because he already has different code for each calculator model. Razz
kermmartian
Site Admin Kemetech

Calc Guru

Posted: 28 Apr 2008 09:45:11 am    Post subject:

TheStorm wrote:
Actually it would because he already has different code for each calculator model. Razz
[post="121120"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Incorrect, but thanks anyway. :D

*bumpity bump*

So I've planned out the sequence of Doors CS versions and features according to my current feature list and knowledge of my summer time commitments. Here it is, and please feel free to post with suggestions, comments, and criticism.

:: Doors CS 6.2 (Complete by June 1, 2008)
........Fix unsupported opcodes
........Refamiliarize myself with my code
........Test and confirm nSpire compatibility
:: Doors CS 6.3-6.4 (Complete by June 14, 2008)
........Pull RunProg mess into separate system
........Add homescreen execution hook - make it toggleable?
:: Doors CS 6.5 (Complete by July 1, 2008)
........Add new splashscreen
........Tweak CALCnet2 functionality
:: Doors CS 6.6
........Update the SDK and documentation
:: Doors CS 7 Release Candidates
........Get bug reports and fix any issues
:: Doors CS 7.0 (Complete by August 1, 2008)

Edit: Now with a fun, educational signature image!
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 28 Apr 2008 03:55:43 pm    Post subject:

well, it's good to hear you're working on this again.
kermmartian
Site Admin Kemetech

Calc Guru

Posted: 28 Apr 2008 05:12:40 pm    Post subject:

Liazon wrote:
well, it's good to hear you're working on this again.
[post="122916"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Thanks, I'm actually looking forward to it. It's been over a year since I dove into my code, and I think the features I'm thinking of adding will be fun.
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 28 Apr 2008 05:14:53 pm    Post subject:

I think you should stab at optimization before you add new code cuz as newbish as I am, I can still optimize some of that code.
DJ Omnimaga
http://i-lost-the-ga.me

Calc Guru

Posted: 28 Apr 2008 05:52:55 pm    Post subject:

having DoorCS in one flash page would easily make me use DoorCS over MirageOs or CrunchyOs, as I was always using it on emulators when it was 16384 bytes
kermmartian
Site Admin Kemetech

Calc Guru

Posted: 28 Apr 2008 06:30:58 pm    Post subject:

TheStorm wrote:
I think you should stab at optimization before you add new code cuz as newbish as I am, I can still optimize some of that code.
[post="122922"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Then give me the optimized code! What are you waiting for? @Omni: I can't see myself optimizing it down to half the size without losing features, though. Sad
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 28 Apr 2008 10:52:13 pm    Post subject:

Well for one the easter egg has ld a,0 a few times in it which we all know can be xor a or how about just delete it all together because that easter egg, no offence is a huge waist of space you can do a credits page in way that uses less code. Also I would suggest putting calcnet into a separate app or make it a standalone library because no one uses it and I don't see a reason for it in dcs or at least make it an add-on. I had a few more but I can't remember them at the moment.

Last edited by Guest on 28 Apr 2008 10:53:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
kermmartian
Site Admin Kemetech

Calc Guru

Posted: 29 Apr 2008 08:11:50 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the opinions, I'll see what I can do. I doubt I'll listen to you about Cn2 though. Smile
Delnar_Ersike
Lazy H4xx0r

Posted: 29 Apr 2008 08:27:00 pm    Post subject:

Great to hear news about continued progress, even if I have abandoned DoorsCS on my calc in favor of MirageOS's list interface (I still remember suggesting such a feature to be implemented as an addon for DCS6). Here are another few suggestions that have no doubt been uttered more than once before:

• Creating a "Lite" version that removes much of the eyecandy features in favor of a smaller size (1 Flash page instead of 2)
  • Integration of Office DE and/or mobiletunes into DCS
  • The option to change interfaces between using the arrow keys to navigate the mouse and using the arrow keys to navigate selections (the latter essentially being similar to the list-interface addon I suggested for a previous version)
  • The option of limiting the types of files being viewed at one time (BASIC only, assembly only, locked only, unlocked only, unarchived only, archived only, etc.)
  • Similar in purpose to the first suggestion and in function to the second suggestion: creating a "Full" version with more eyecandy, some programs integrated, and/or extra features that will not be used by programs developed for DCS (to clarify: a "yes" feature would be the addition of a pre-installed icon-editing tool, while a "no" feature would be the expanding of the CALCnet2 protocol)
Again, I am not a supervisor, much less an assembly programmer, so neither do I know the technical limitations nor limitations imposed by your available time and your own ambitions.
kermmartian
Site Admin Kemetech

Calc Guru

Posted: 30 Apr 2008 07:47:24 am    Post subject:

Crosspost from Cemetech.
[quote name='"Delnar_Ersike"']Great to hear news about continued progress, even if I have abandoned DoorsCS on my calc in favor of MirageOS's list interface (I still remember suggesting such a feature to be implemented as an addon for DCS6). Here are another few suggestions that have no doubt been uttered more than once before:

• Creating a "Lite" version that removes much of the eyecandy features in favor of a smaller size (1 Flash page instead of 2)

• Integration of Office DE and/or mobiletunes into DCS
[/quote]
Wait, didn't you just contradict yourself? Wink I have a problem with removing the "eyecandy" (ie, the GUI and the GUI API) because all that's left is a a list of programs that don't support Doors CS 6 programs that use the GUI, in other words a MOS/ Ion/ BASIC/ ASM shell, which is nothing new, exciting, or original in any way. Completely removing Doors CS's GUI as well as the entire GUI API system would be the only way to even approach 16K. Oh, and CALCnet2 as well.

[quote name='"Delnar_Ersike"']

• The option to change interfaces between using the arrow keys to navigate the mouse and using the arrow keys to navigate selections (the latter essentially being similar to the list-interface addon I suggested for a previous version)
[/quote]
This already exists in the form of the TabFunctions SE.

• The option of limiting the types of files being viewed at one time (BASIC only, assembly only, locked only, unlocked only, unarchived only, archived only, etc.)
[/quote] That's an interesting idea, how do you propose implementing that?

• Similar in purpose to the first suggestion and in function to the second suggestion: creating a "Full" version with more eyecandy, some programs integrated, and/or extra features that will not be used by programs developed for DCS (to clarify: a "yes" feature would be the addition of a pre-installed icon-editing tool, while a "no" feature would be the expanding of the CALCnet2 protocol)
Again, I am not a supervisor, much less an assembly programmer, so neither do I know the technical limitations nor limitations imposed by your available time and your own ambitions.[/quote] See my comment on your first suggestion. Thanks for the thoughts, you're helping to expand my brainstorming a lot.
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 30 Apr 2008 09:36:05 am    Post subject:

I don't really use DoorCS because I see no advantage to the GUI. It takes longer and requires more concentration to do pretty much anything for which there isn't another shortcut key. However, I have a few suggestions. (Note that I'm running 6.0.0 since I've never bothered to upgrade. Perhaps some of them are fixed)

One thing that irritates me is the message you get when the RAM is cleared. Everytime this happens I silently yell at the message, which is completely pointless.

Another is the main menu. If you're going to put so much focus on the GUI, at least make it usable. The selection area should go to the bottom left corner of the screen. It's not very intuitive to move to that area of the screen, "click", and then wonder why nothing has happened because you found the tiny area between button and screen corner. Similar problem for almost all of the other buttons (bottom right X, close in menus, etc)

The shortcut arrows for programs don't provide any useful information, and just clutter up the interface.

The Power menu in the main is just ... terrible. I do remember something about it being improved in a later version, so hopefully this isn't relevant any more.

DoorsCS has a number of impressive technical achievements; it's just that I don't find it very useful besides as a demo for those features.
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 30 Apr 2008 10:42:31 am    Post subject:

For a light version you could use an Icon based GUI instead of a mouse based GUI. And I still feel that calcnet2 should be separate because it is a large amout of code that no-one uses. Also tabfuncs is a step in the right direction but it still takes it take far to long at access primary functions. The ram cleared message is useless because all of the settings should have been maitained in the archived appvar anyway.
also you still need a sorting please wait message. If you go with an icon based gui you would also have to add more hotkeys for common functions. Also right clicking should bring up the discription along with the right click menu. oh and about the description field thing because of that the calc wil nolonger apd because that is active also the calc will not turn off untill that is closed when you press ON. The GUI is nice but it makes it take longer to do basic things. And that needs to be fixed if you wish to make dcs more user friendly. You don't even need the "x" in the corner because pressing clear does the same thing a lot faster. You could make the menus appear along the bottom like MOS so that common functions are fewer keypress to access. If you need more than five functions in menu then group them and put them in one of the five slots and have that be you popup menus.
Also you should standardizre the basic prog header to be

Code:
::"description
::DCS,DCS6
::Icon hex
::A
: subprograms
::

or something along those lines and allow the description or subprograms to be ommited of course.
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 30 Apr 2008 04:47:52 pm    Post subject:

alexrudd wrote:
DoorsCS has a number of impressive technical achievements; it's just that I don't find it very useful besides as a demo for those features.
[post="123008"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

agreed. I think a lite version w/ no gui would be nice. Seems like a popular trend worth looking into. Although continue to support the original DCS lib like the lib mouse. That's actually one thing I like about DCS even though I'm indifferent about guis.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 25 of 28 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement