So I don't have access to a TI-84 color right now, although I may in the future, and since distributing ROMs is illegal I was wondering about the possibility of creating my own (with basic custom OS) to work with jsTIfied. I want to mess around with the LCD driver and creating some basic games, and I know enough that I don't really need any of the system calls to do what I want. So, a couple of questions here:
1. Is it possible to create my own rom file to work with jsTIfied.
2. If so, how would I start? I'm assuming I can look at the how to write an OS thread for help on the actual code, but I'd need it in a format the emulator can use.
3. Would the instructions for turning on the screen located Here work for turning on the screen at boot.

Also, some more questions related to the TI os. Obviously I'd have access to all the ram if I made my own os, but if I want to fit the constraints of a program/application:

Are plotSScreen and saveSScreen the same sizes that they used to be? (and if they are, how does TI store the graph, assuming it does (haven't graphed on a color)).

User memory starts at a higher address now, are programs (not apps) now limited to about 6600 bytes of runnable code?
You certainly can! GlassOS boots up in jsTIfied if my memory serves. I'll notify AHelper.
Attempting download and run TI's OS is legally questionable at best. However, you CAN create your own OS to run. It shouldn't be terribly hard to get MicrOS booted, which has all the initialization code you need. Basically, just make a header jsTIfied will accept, remove the flash unlock code since it isn't needed, and make the first instruction a jump to the initialization code.
well assembling MicrOS and then sticking zeroes onto the end of the file until it was 4 MB definitely didn't work, although maybe it would work if I just stuck some boot code into a file instead of building off an existing one. Seems like it expects to be ran as an application
Without too much effort, I managed to refactor a bit of MicrOS so it could be a ROM and get Spasm to output a .rom file. Since this might actually be useful for getting collaboration with other advanced community members who don't have a TI-84+CSE, I will try to refine the ROM and upload it.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours