After 2 days of screwing and unscrewing i finally took apart the laptop (HP NX 9110) to get a broken headphone needle out. The computer store was asking 30Euro to fix it but why pay when you can do it yourself. I also cleaned out the heat sinks and fans since they had 8 years of dust on them Laughing . I can't figure out why HP put SO MANY screws in the laptop, it took me hours to figure out where the next screw was, some of them were hidden under the CD drive and floppy bay and one was in the PCMCIA slots! Also, once i had fixed the audio jack it took me another couple of hours to replace the screws because i had forgotten where they went. Its just amazing how much a broken headphone needle can cause! Laughing

Here are some pictures i took after i fixed it.
Screw locations
Red: Screw
Green: Screw (Hidden 1 level down)
Pink: Screw (Hidden 2 levels down)
Blue: Screw (Must take out CD and floppy bay drive before taking this out)

Laptop (Normal)

Laptop (Flipped)

Everything mentioned above was done to get this thing out
Wow, I admire your patience! I had a hard time with finding all the screws to take apart my prizm... and there were only about 12 Very Happy
Good work - did you try pulling the tip out via the jack first? Trying to push the retaining spring out of the way so it drops it is a fiddly process so despite the number of screws you needed to remove your method may have been faster in the end.
benryves wrote:
Good work - did you try pulling the tip out via the jack first? Trying to push the retaining spring out of the way so it drops it is a fiddly process so despite the number of screws you needed to remove your method may have been faster in the end.

No, didn't try that but it was jammed real tight in there since my mum tried putting her headphones in, causing it to go in even tighter.
Good lord, that's an absolutely ridiculous number of screws. Who the hell designed that thing and why? (Actually, I don't think I want to know the “why”.)
Travis wrote:
Good lord, that's an absolutely ridiculous number of screws. Who the hell designed that thing and why? (Actually, I don't think I want to know the “why”.)

I guess HP didn't want you to open it Laughing
Yeah, but if they really didn't want you to open it they could have just used some oddball type screws that almost nobody has a driver for. Razz
^^ fix for that, a bic pen and a lighter. Works wonders.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours