CalebHansberry wrote:
ElectronicsGeek wrote:
They're awesome! Caleb, are they hand carved?

Yes, they are! But with power tools. A router to be exact, they are fairly arduous to make; I should note here that I actually seriously injured my thumb making the Cemetech one!
Ouch, I hope that you're OK. I definitely want to see photos of that at your earliest convenience, especially if it has a lightning bolt behind the letters. Wink
Okay, the topic is here! And yes, I have recovered now.

Here are pictures of my making some DCS7 logos:

First, the wood: ($20 at Home Depot)

Then, I transfer the image with a print-out and carbon paper:

Here is the result:

I will post more as time goes on! In the meantime, I'll need to make these then sell them... very sorry, I will be as fast as I can!
I wonder if the space bits of the ornament could be packed together more efficiently to save material costs?
Quote:
Yes, they are! But with power tools. A router to be exact, they are fairly arduous to make; I should note here that I actually seriously injured my thumb making the Cemetech one!

Fair enough, if you were to carve them primarily with a knife, it would take you ages per unit! Still, it's definitely shows great craftsmanship and build quality. I hope your thumb makes a swift recovery!
ElectronicsGeek wrote:
Quote:

Fair enough, if you were to carve them primarily with a knife, it would take you ages per unit! Still, it's definitely shows great craftsmanship and build quality. I hope your thumb makes a swift recovery!

Yup, using a knife would indeed take too long. And my thumb is better now, thanks Smile
TheStorm wrote:
merthsoft wrote:
I don't think anyone around here has such a machine, and I like hand-made things, so I'm still down.
I know chronomex used to work at a Hackerspace with a 3D printer and most medium to large cities will have something similar if you look hard enough.

Yeah, you can find hackerspaces near you by searching on this site: http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/
if this costs 20 dollars for the wood, then how would you make any profit? even so, i'm buying!
LuxenD wrote:
if this costs 20 dollars for the wood, then how would you make any profit? even so, i'm buying!
He can make more than one ornament out of one piece of wood. Presumably [($20*ornaments_made)-$20-(price of paint and varnish)]/(ornaments_made*hours_per_ornament) works out to be an acceptable wage for Caleb. Smile
LuxenD wrote:

Smile Kerm is right, that is for the board.

Kerm, your algorithm-thingy fried my brain. Smile I run it like a formula on my graphing calculator, and it returned ".43", if I made 3 ornaments and put 30 hours into each one.

Oh, and LuxenD? If you want to buy one, how would you like to pay? (You can PM your response to me if you want).
Caleb, that means you would be getting $0.43 an hour. Smile Hopefully it takes you more like 1-2 hours to make them.
KermMartian wrote:
Caleb, that means you would be getting $0.43 an hour. Smile Hopefully it takes you more like 1-2 hours to make them.

I regret to inform you it is more like 20 hours...
CalebHansberry wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Shock Are you sure? Can you at least parallelize that across multiple ornaments? What does the time breakdown look like?
KermMartian wrote:
CalebHansberry wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Shock Are you sure? Can you at least parallelize that across multiple ornaments? What does the time breakdown look like?

I have never really timed it, but I spend whole evenings routing. Just sitting on my bedroom floor routing meticulously. Then later on, I hold it in my hand and extremely carefully paint it with near perfection. For example, painting the Cemetech logo took up about 3 evenings (with several coats), each about 3 hours. An evening is about 3 hours, more or less, depending on whether that is before or after dinner.

But 2 hours apiece? They would be cheaper then, and all who wanted one would have one already. Smile

Oh, the time breakdown - A lot of time is taken in transferring the image to the wood, then a lot is taken routing, then a lot sanding and shaping with sandpaper and a Dremel, then it takes a long time to paint them. So *maybe* 0.5 hr, 8 hr, 3 hr, 3 hr for a total of 14.5 hours? Hard to tell when I am doing 3 at a time.

Here are some new pictures:
Me routing the DCS7ornaments:

And current progress (again, sorry for the delay, I had a different sign order in the cache):
Now I understand why you don't stack the chevrons closer together on the wood. Do you not have access to a jigsaw for cutting them out?
A jigsaw would not achieve my purposes. You see, the router is the only one doing the cutting after both sides have been properly routed.
I'm more surprised you're doing woodwork inside. I'm hoping you have a vacuum nearby to collect sawdust as you cut. Though, I'm offtopic.

It's insanely detailed work you're putting in though. Are you taking pictures of the final results and putting them together in a resume of sorts?
comicIDIOT wrote:
I'm more surprised you're doing woodwork inside. I'm hoping you have a vacuum nearby to collect sawdust as you cut. Though, I'm offtopic.

It's insanely detailed work you're putting in though. Are you taking pictures of the final results and putting them together in a resume of sorts?

Yeah, I realize the picture is pretty wild. Smile It is in my bedroom, with a dozen computers and my bed. It is not an ideal situation. Smile

A resume? I take pictures, but I don't know about them being of any value to an... employer, you mean?

[EDIT] Post 250! Yeah! Good Idea
Is that a little minecraft chest i see in the back left of the image? XD
Tom wrote:
Is that a little minecraft chest i see in the back left of the image? XD

I'll be jiggered! You let out my secret! Razz Yup, that is a sweet little toychest I made, and it is filled with Minecraft toys I made too!
I wonder where LuxenD went.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours