I'm thinking it would be pretty easy to create a program that will auto-port current TI-BASIC games into games runnable on the TI-84 Color. Most commands should still work fine. Output(, Text(, pxl-*( and any other commands that are decided by pixels or blocks should be easily changeable using the proprtion of the TI-83-84 screen to the TI-84 C screen. Also, ΔX and ΔY will need to be adjusted accordingly as well.
Well, with the 320x240 LCD appear to come a 256xsomething graphscreen, and a (?) 30x12 homescreen. We could probably adjust the graphscreen Xmin/Ymin/ΔX/ΔY to make our games appear in a 96x64-pixel area, but that would be rather hard to see.
True :/ But it could be useful for output commands. Actually, TI would be better off to just put a compatibility layer for older programs. Fact of the matter is, this new color screen and greater pixelation is going to appeal most to coders like us, and gamers. For that matter, being able to run older games in some recognizable fashion is probably worth TI looking into.
Roguebantha wrote:
Actually, TI would be better off to just put a compatibility layer for older programs. Fact of the matter is, this new color screen and greater pixelation is going to appeal most to coders like us, and gamers. For that matter, being able to run older games in some recognizable fashion is probably worth TI looking into.

Casio did that with prizm, dont see why TI shouldn't. But if its like prizm, the old programs will run really slow.
Oh yeah, that makes sense :/ but fortunately, I believe that the TI-84 C is going to use TI-BASIC? It shouldn't be that bad should it?
Roguebantha wrote:
TFact of the matter is, this new color screen and greater pixelation is going to appeal most to coders like us, and gamers. For that matter, being able to run older games in some recognizable fashion is probably worth TI looking into.
Sadly, I can more or less confirm that Texas Instruments is not going to be writing their own compatibility layer. However, I will be very much considering the possibility of a special hook in Doors CS that will catch and correct Pxl-*( commands, as annoying as that would be to code (and as little time as I have).
I would say go for it Smile I would wait until it actually comes out though. It would suck to write this hook, then have the calc actually be different in graphics than you expected, and you would have wasted your time.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours