I liked the episode, but does anyone have any theories about the Barbie doll?
Spenceboy98 wrote:
I liked the episode, but does anyone have any theories about the Barbie doll?
Mreksm is convinced that it is a Rose Tyler Barbie doll, and that they have been making Rose references since the beginning of this second half of series 7. I'm skeptical, as much as I love Rose as a companiion.
Rose references such as....?

Also, maybe it's an Amy Pond barbie, since she was actually working as a fashion model for a while.
or maybe it's a barbie doll!

ahahaha, oh man, that'd be funny if it really was. Now that you lot mention it, I bet it'll be an item like the 3D glasses
elfprince13 wrote:
Rose references such as....?

Also, maybe it's an Amy Pond barbie, since she was actually working as a fashion model for a while.
One of the Claras worked at the Rose and Crown, for instance, and Clara seems to always have a rose.
Hmmmmm, I think that's stretching it a little, but we'll see!

[edit]

On the other hand, "Hungry like the Wolf"....so who knows?
elfprince13 wrote:

[edit]

Yeah, she was convinced that was a Bad Wolf reference too. Smile If only.
Well, Rose has been confirmed as appearing with 10 in the anniversary, so the question is this: are individual references accidental or intentional, and if intentional, do they contribute in any way to the mystery of Clara, or are they just fan-service?

[edit]

Ellie Oswald died on the same day as the events of the episode "Rose". Significant?
So, watched the latest episode, "Hide". Not badly done, really didn't see it ending in the way it did. Nice to see that it is showing us a bit more of our early attempts at time travel and how badly we screw up. :p lol
Comic, mreksm, and I also enjoyed Hide. It shows that the Rings of Akhenten is not totally incompetent, I'd say. Smile The plot and twists seemed solid (other than that 1974 apparently lacks flashlights); the Romeo monster thing felt forced.
I can't help but be incredibly excited about this. I am curious as to whether or not DT will have his hair down as it is in the photo during the episode, or whether it will be in the "up" style that he more often sported.. Either way, I am looking forward to this episode very, very much!

EDIT: Ok well I just found this second image, which is from Series 2 episode "The Impossible Planet", and the 10th Doctors hair is down. So I'm guessing that the 10th Doctor and Rose in the 50th anniversary are from around this point in their timeline.

elfprince13 wrote:

[edit]

We should have little tinfoil TARDIS hats on our heads when theorizing new Whospiracies like this.

anywho, on terms of hide, I thought it was a great episode. Totally an 8/10. Would be higher if not for that silly "oh the moster was just in love" BS they spewed last minute. I'd like for one episode that didn't have anything to do with emotions or feelings being the answer to the solution or ending.

It should have taken a leaf out of Mindnight, where we never learn what or who the monster is, making it all that scarier and better.
So, Journey into the Center of the TARDIS.

This was an epic episode. I wish they could all be like this. We get to see even more of the TARDIS, more of how fragile she can be, and to some extent, that she is just like every other ship in some aspects.

Other interesting aspects are the Time Zombies, charred beings kicked back from their future through the cracks in local space-time caused by the TARDIS exploding. We also get to see the infamous cracks in time again, of which the Doctor used to fix things.

I think the most interesting aspect is the book Clara finds, "The history of the Time War". She learns the Doctor's name from it.

I saw a theory about how the book is Gallifreyan, and that the TARDIS can't translate it. So how does she read it?

The problem is, if it really was in Gallifreyan, the title should also be in that as well. The title was in English, so it's safe to assume that either the book is in English, or the TARDIS CAN translate the language, it just withheld that for the longest time.

Thoughts?

And we are closing in on learning the Doctor's real name! Very Happy
I agree. It was an awesome episode. Did you guys notice that the Encyclopedia of the time lords was in bottles? I thought that was interesting.

Edit: Also, He has that room with his former companions stuff.

Edit2:
Another thing, I just saw this on tumblr:

Freaked me out a little.
So, what was that little doo-dad that Clara burned her hand on? I couldn't get a straight answer from the start of the episode but why did it just "make things right?" The episode was great but it came to an end way to fast. I would have been fine if it was a two parter or Clara confronted The Doctor about it later on in the season or series.
comicIDIOT wrote:
So, what was that little doo-dad that Clara burned her hand on? I couldn't get a straight answer from the start of the episode but why did it just "make things right?" The episode was great but it came to an end way to fast. I would have been fine if it was a two parter or Clara confronted The Doctor about it later on in the season or series.

Yeah I wasn't entirely convinced by the resolution. If someone asked me to explain it, I wouldn't be confident in whatever answer I could offer.

To be perfectly honest, the two most exciting parts of the episode for me were probably:
  • Seeing the book "The History of the Time War" (although wasn't it called "The Last Great Time War", to define it from other time wars that had happened previously? I could be wrong on this).
  • Hearing the echoes of past Doctors & companions when the console was getting pulled apart. I always enjoy little references to the history of the show when things like that happen.
comicIDIOT wrote:

It was the remote control for the magnograb (spelling?) on the salvage ship, which was disabling the TARDIS. The Doctor pulled it out of one of the Van Baalen's pockets earlier.

As I understand it, pressing it disabled the magnograb, so then the Doctor could put up the shields, dematerialize, and repair the TARDIS.

We only really see this from the perspective of the salvage ship crew, though- the magnograb suddenly turns off and the TARDIS vanishes from the screen. But we do see the Doctor wiping down the console- presumably just finished repairing it?

That's one explanation, anyway. The other is that he creates a paradox that undoes itself and magically fixes history, ala The Angels Take Manhattan.
So, yesterday's episode, Nightmare in Silver, was quite interesting. Cybermen with the ability to move faster than being seen.

It seems like they made them a bit more Borg like, which I've always thought they should have been. The reason I say this is because, like the Borg, they gained the ability to adapt to situations, weapons, etc, which really hadn't been seen or done from what I could see of past Cybermen. These also had integrated weaponry, which I don't think we've actually seen before? I always thought they carried large rifles, like we saw in the Pandorica Opens episode.

Did anyone catch the very end, right as the Emperor's flag ship went to fly away, one of those tiny bug things was still alive? Means that AI survived. I wonder if we'll see it again, someday?
No, we've definitely seen integrated weapons before. Remember in "Army of Ghosts" and "Doomsday", they had wrist-mounted laser pistols of sorts that shot red beams (that were totally ineffective against the Daleks)? They only got armor-piercing anti-Dalek guns from the humans. I thought some of the Cyberman changes were cool and made sense, but others were sort of arbitrary. For example, why would the networked Cyber-intelligence sit around and play a chess game against the Doctor instead of just taking the rest of his mind by force? And if they could take control of him without the bulky metal suits, why create standard slow metal Cybermen at all?
But the metal cybermen weren't slow, that one moved faster than they could see and react.

And yeah, you are correct, I guess I had forgotten about that.

Who knows.. There are so many inconsistencies sometimes.. Neutral

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 5 of 10
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours