I got a new computer and a new calculator (TI-84PlusSE) after mine got stolen. I can't use Ti-Graph Link with my new computer, so I downloaded TiLP. I'm trying to do a ROM dump, but it's not working (any other transfer isn't working either). I get this message "Msg: invalid command ID.
Cause: received an unexpected Command ID from calculator, probably due to a transmission error." If anyone has any idea on how to fix this, that would be great. I already tried to install a filter driver that the readme said to try, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Otherwise, if anyone knows how to get TI-Graph Link working on windows 7 or another way to get the ROM dump, that would be great.

I'm a bit limited in terms and specifics, so the simpler the instructions the better.

Thanks!
Welcome to Cemetech, Gill987! It's good to have you with us; would you care to Introduce Yourself when you get achance? Are you using the Silver Link or a Direct USB cable? What OS version does your new calculator have? Is the calculator at the homescreen?
I'm assuming it's the direct usb cable (the one that comes when you buy it at a store). It has the newest OS (2.55). And it is at the homescreen. I was gonna try downgrading the OS, but I can't since TiLP isn't working.
Have you configured TILP to talk to a 84+ through DirectLink ? "Invalid Command ID" when doing pretty much anything sounds like TILP is not talking the appropriate protocol to the calculator.

Note that the version that you can download from http://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=187009#187009 defaults to auto-detecting the calculator - but it works only for new installs, I can't forcefully change existing settings.
Make sure that, in the dialog that comes up with File -> Change Device (Ctrl+D), "USB scan at startup" is enabled, close and and restart TILP Smile
So I uninstalled the version I had, installed the newer version, and it still doesn't work. There isn't even a file drop down box. The black output box says "(tilp.exe:6696): ticables-WARNING **: no devices found!". I still get the Invalid ID message when I try to hit "Ready?" And when I try to do a ROM dump, the program closes. I have TI Connect, and that works fine.
You didn't tell us that you had TI-Connect (or maybe you didn't have it at the beginning) Smile
In this case, it's natural that TILP does not work alongside TI-Connect, unless you installed the "filter driver" as detailed in the README.

To make a long story short: TI's official software and TILP cannot use each others' drivers, Windows hates having more than one driver for a given piece of hardware - unless, precisely, a filter driver is installed. In that case, TI's software and TILP can work side by side Smile
Sorry I forgot to mention that. I had read that in the ReadMe and installed the driver, but it still didn't work. I just tried uninstalling both programs and reinstalling TiLP, but still no luck, although I got the file dropdown box back. I just realized it's probably my computer. It's Win 64, the ReadMe says win32, and the website for the other versions only have win32. Probably should have checked that first.

Any other ways of connecting? I've looked around but the programs either claim not to work with the Ti-84 (but so did graph-link and that worked fine) or can't install on my computer.
The filter driver stuff has worked for me on Win7 x64 Sad

And for making ROM dumps, TILP is indeed a good choice. TI-Connect does not provide that functionality.

In the Control Panel -> Devices Manager, you could try to force the libusb-win32 driver as the driver for your 84+SE. Find the calculator's entry (I forgot what name TI's drivers give it, but it's an USB device), right-click on it to change the driver to something you'll find below C:\Program Files\Common Files(or whatever it's called in your Windows' language - for instance, in French editions of Windows, it's "Fichiers communs")\LPG Shared...
(I did the opposite action yesterday, forcing my Windows XP VM to use TI's drivers for the Nspire, so that the filter driver wizard could detect the calculator and install the filter driver - manually changing the driver is easily faster than reinstalling TINCLS !)

Tell us if after that, the TILP beta build can detect and communicate with your calculator Smile
The README and the libusb-win32 say "Win32" out of habit and history, but the filter driver stuff, and TILP, work on 64-bit versions of Windows.
I did what you said, and then I got two diffferent messages saying it didn't work. I reinstalled the driver, although it looked like it had failed, but then everything worked fine.

Thanks for all your help!
You're welcome, glad TILP and TI-Connect can work side by side Smile
Glad to hear everything got resolved, Gill! Be sure to stick around if you currently or plan to do any programming, calculator, computer, or otherwise. Smile
For people's reference, the TiLP version for OS X that is pre-compiled does not work at all (at least for me). However, you can install it from source (or via the MacPorts package install manager), then run it on the command line via:

Code:
tilp --calc=ti83+ --cable=DirectLink

You can sub in the value for --calc with your model. This works on OS X and Linux. Not sure if this has already been said somewhere, but I figured I'd share in case it helps someone.

PS: On Linux, the software requires a patch to work.

Code:
wget http://launchpadlibrarian.net/79510370/new- devices-and-fixed-sysfs-warning.patch
sudo patch /lib/udev/rules.d/45-libticables.rules < new-devices-and-fixed-sysfs-warning.patch

On Mac, the software is good to go once you compile.
I'm having a problem as well. Whenever I start Tilp it always says:
Msg: failed to open the USB device.
Cause: Check that the USB cable is plugged in and that the calculator is turned ON! Also, check libusb and usbfs for valid permissions.

I should have valid permissions as I am the admin on my computer and I even tried Zadig but it couldn't reinstall drivers to save its life.

Suggestions?
Which Windows version and type ?
Which calculator ?
Which cable ?
Did you install TI-Connect (CE) before ?
If I remember correctly, it was an 83+ and the problem was something to do with the link port, and he fixed it. Though this might be something else.
Lionel:
I am using Windows 7
TI 83+
Silverlink
I have never had Ti Connect CE, Just ti connect

Hope this helps Smile
Quote:
I have never had Ti Connect CE, Just ti connect

In such a case, for TILP (libticables) to detect calculators, you need to install the libusb-win32 filter driver, as indicated in the README.
Did you do that ?

At least, being on Win 7, you won't have to use Zadig to sign the CAT file after installation.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours