Ah ok thanks..

So what is the difference between gnome and fxce?

(other than your opinions Razz)
seana11 wrote:
Uber tip:
Gnome is too pretty to be useful
KDE is too bloated to do anything
Xfce is neither bloated nor pretty, and it's highly customizable

Switch to xfce before it's too late!

I have to agree that gnome3 does suck. And while kde is a little bloated I prefer it over xfce. Although I do want to give cinnamon a shot at some point.
gnome 3 is nigh on unusable
gnome 2 is about the same as xfce, with one better at some things and the other better at others
lxde is about the same as those two as well, but more lightweight
kde is a lot like the wondows desktop, compared to the others. with transparencies and a few things that are just awkward. it used to be very bloated, but has gotten better about it recently. the design is still a put off for me, though.

your experience with any of them can vary widely, depending on what window manager and other things you use, so it's hard to make a definite statement, but, if i wasn't already so attached to all my gnome and xfce panel applets (the xfce panel can load gnome panel applets) i'd probably go for lxde
The funny thing is that Gnome used to be way more lightweight than KDE, but at this point, Gnome 3 is just as bloated as KDE. I say a TTY and ncurses should be good enough for anyone. Wink
OK. so i have to google some things. figure out what these differences are.. what xfce are better than Gnome..
I just started testing razor-qt... I have to say, its pretty awesome for being so lightweight!

razor-qt.org
seana11 wrote:
Uber tip:
Gnome is too pretty to be useful
KDE is too bloated to do anything
Xfce is neither bloated nor pretty, and it's highly customizable

Switch to xfce before it's too late!

What are you talking about? XFCE can look gorgeous with Compiz installed, and a little photoshop work to make the bars look nice. I made the snow plugin drop leaves instead, and now I have an epic semi-animated background on my 2560x1024 setup. Besides, on KDE whenever I try to tweak the animations they always crash. I hate that.

If you want functional but ugly, look to fluxbox or one of the tiling WMs Razz
Thanks for the warning. ATM I think I will stick with Gnome. If I continue to have issues with needing to kill programs with top, I may switch, but I believe I have found the problem. Google Chrome AKA. My Favorite malware. When my PC begins to lag and lock up, I kill chrome and it works just fine.
Use opera!
Aes_Sedia5 wrote:
Thanks for the warning. ATM I think I will stick with Gnome. If I continue to have issues with needing to kill programs with top, I may switch, but I believe I have found the problem. Google Chrome AKA. My Favorite malware. When my PC begins to lag and lock up, I kill chrome and it works just fine.

Chrome or Chromium? I only ask as chromium names itself chrome for some distros.
Let's please keep this as a Linux help thread guys, and not turn it into another browser wars. There are a lot of good browsers out there that work for a lot of people, and there are a lot of people who have had bad experiences with particular browsers. Let us leave it at that.
True that, seana Razz

Anyways, Aes, sounds like a plan for now, and while I'm not trying to start a browser war (I like Chrome just fine, it's just apparently not working here) the alternatives I would suggest would be Firefox, opera, maybe rekonq if you don't mind installing all the kde-ish dependencies (It'll still run on gnome)
I use the Real Google Chome @Ahelper. and its not that it is always the problem. I use firefox at the same time. Google Chrome just runs one flash game I like to play (since IMHO Chrome is thebest for flash) and firefox is for my regular browsing. I just know to that Chrome is my problem, and when my PC sticks, that is what I kill. So far in the past week, I have prevented two freezes by killing chrome so I am positive that is the problem.

Side Note: Most of the are caused by me fast switching from my bottom work space (Firefox) Through the Chrome Workspace up to the top one which is Xchat. If I am careful about doing that slowly, then I am fine. Very Happy
AHelper wrote:
Chrome or Chromium? I only ask as chromium names itself chrome for some distros.

Chromium is Google's open source project. Chrome is a Google-built binary with some extra stuff added (such as PDF & Flash built in).

Only binaries from Google are called Chrome.
ok. good to know. haha.. Also, so far i got everything working now. Skype is good. I rarely freeze. I have a nice running machine, (still using GNOME) *Ducks*
Aes_Sedia5 wrote:
ok. good to know. haha.. Also, so far i got everything working now. Skype is good. I rarely freeze. I have a nice running machine, (still using GNOME) *Ducks*

*Throws a low flying xfce*
seana11 wrote:
Aes_Sedia5 wrote:

*Throws a low flying xfce*

No need to keep pushing your favorite desktop environment. If Aes enjoys gnome, let them use gnome.
Yea I do prefer Gnome. I say, dont fix what is not broken. For now, Gnome is not broken, that may change when I have more free time, (and not so lazy). For now, Gnome works fine. I do have to say though,, I am tempted to remove my Windows Partition on my hard drive. I have not used it in a long time. The only thing that keeps me using it:
1.Microsoft Office
2.Some games I play
3.There is a friend that works on my PC, does upgrades and such (For free). He only uses windows, and hates linux with a passion.
Instead of Microsoft Office, you could always use Libre Office. For the games that you like to play you should check Wine hq and see if they are compatible with wine, and if they are install it. And I can't help you with your third point.
haha.. yea... The friend of mine is Anal. Microsoft is the only thing that should have been created. Mac is over priced and useless, and linux is the scum of the earth, it messes up his windows. Or so he thinks... If I ever have him work on my PC I may end up pulling my Linux Drive out and put my blank one in..

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours