Hello all,
When I bought my Prizm, one of the many things I wanted to do was to write an RPG of my own. I finished a condensed storyline a few months ago and left it at that. I primarily want to see what you all think of it. It is rather large (It requires 42KB total to run). Now that OS 1.03 has been released, I can add all of the special characters that I had wanted to use before. Here are some screenshots that I made.

This one has nothing to do with the RPG, but it demonstrates the game engine. It's actually a screenshot of the previous incarnation of this game when it was only a puzzle game.

This is a banner of screenshots. I accidentally added transparency.

Here is the download link:
SwitchRPG

I'm pretty much done with this project unless someone spots something that needs fixing.
This is Casio BASIC, correct? I'm curious how you do your maps, and what exactly you mean by "42 KB to run". Does that mean that the programs themselves take up 42 KB, or that the data in RAM requires 42 KB? Are you planning on eventually porting this to C, even just a small subset of it? Other than that, it looks pretty well made from the screenshots, and I appreciate that you are trying to find another host so that I can try it some day Smile
This is in fact Casio Basic. Everything from programs to matrices to list files are included in that 42KB. As part of learning C I plan on trying to port as much of the game as possible to C, though first I have to learn more of the language first.
Many Cemetech users have been banned from Omnimaga for various reasons and therefore cannot download from that link; might I strongly suggest that you upload your completed projects to the Cemetech file archives? Actually, there's a Beta folder too, so if you have incomplete projects you want to release to get feedback, that's a good idea too. Smile I'm spacing on this, but you have Introduced Yourself before, correct?

I just fixed your animated image; just represent spaces as %20 if your images have spaces in the file names. Thanks very much for sharing this with us; it looks great! I will definitely grab it once it's here and try it out. And I also look forward to us being able to guide you in your C education.
I have introduced myself, It was several months ago so I don't blame you for not remembering. As far as the download is concerned, I think I have an immediate solution and I will change the link in the first post shortly. Also, thanks for fixing the first image.

As far as C is concerned, I have realized that I won't be able to work on it very much for the time being. I simply have other things that need to get done and forcing myself to spend time on it anyways doesn't work. Sad
Thanks for correcting the download link so that everyone can try it out, although I'll probably still occasionally pester you to upload it to the Prizm section of the Cemetech archives if you don't mind. Wink I was watching the animated screenshot a bit more carefully this morning, and I noticed how nicely-done the "physics" mechanics of moving cells is. Congrats on that; it reminds me a bit of Chips Challenge.
I'll probably upload it when I have finished updating it to take advantage of special characters (stating of course that it needs OS 1.03 to work properly).
m1ac4 wrote:
I'll probably upload it when I have finished updating it to take advantage of special characters (stating of course that it needs OS 1.03 to work properly).
Perfect, sounds good. That reminds me that JosJuice mentioned there was a Prizm OS 1.03 yesterday, and that he would get back to me as to whether it was high enough quality to warrant a news post.
KermMartian wrote:
m1ac4 wrote:
Perfect, sounds good. That reminds me that JosJuice mentioned there was a Prizm OS 1.03 yesterday, and that he would get back to me as to whether it was high enough quality to warrant a news post.
In case you didn't notice it, I posted a topic in the Prizm section: http://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6912
Ah, that must have gotten cleared from my new posts queue when I visited by accident; thanks for pointing it out. Didn't mean to doubt your munificence. Wink
It has been quite a while. Months ago I promised I would upload my RPG to the archives. I am finally going to do that.

I present SwitchRPG 0.3, with several improvements:
1) It now uses special chars for visual appeal.
2) I have compressed map data, freeing 8KB of main memory. Decompression takes about two seconds per map load.
3) I have optimized the map drawing routine. Maps draw to the screen several seconds faster now. The improvement is so much that it offsets decompression with time to spare.

I am not going to develop this game any more. It is too large as it is (it's my first RPG, honestly I was a little to ambitious). Maybe someone can find some use for it.

At the latest, I will upload it (and my old Mastermind game) some time today.
Thanks for the files! Here's SwitchRPG, for anyone who wants to try it out:

SwitchRPG
One thing I forgot to add was that I changed the dialog display so text scrolls across the screen. Pressing a button causes the remainder of the text to appear. I borrowed the idea from Pokemon and I think it adds some visual appeal to the game.

If anyone is interested in using it somewhere I can post the routine.
m1ac4 wrote:
One thing I forgot to add was that I changed the dialog display so text scrolls across the screen. Pressing a button causes the remainder of the text to appear. I borrowed the idea from Pokemon and I think it adds some visual appeal to the game.

If anyone is interested in using it somewhere I can post the routine.

I actually developed a similar routine just for the fun of it.

Also, I beat this game after 2 days of thorough enjoyment. Very nice. I didn't have to cheat to get through the labyrinth but it did take a little while. I definitely think this should be ported to C.

If you don't mind my asking, how long did it take you to make this game?
If you do get around to learning C++, I could put my Prizm tile mapping/psuedo-physics/character engine up. You can make tile maps as individual files with sprites of any size and location (in case you have large and small tiles, the larger the faster) and the engine will render it at 15-20 fps (around there). Collision detection works and is provided in a character class.

Sorry to explode with details, but if you want to use it if you port it to an add-in, let me know.
flyingfisch wrote:

Also, I beat this game after 2 days of thorough enjoyment. Very nice. I didn't have to cheat to get through the labyrinth but it did take a little while. I definitely think this should be ported to C.

If you don't mind my asking, how long did it take you to make this game?

I am glad that you enjoyed game and made it through the labrynth! It makes me feel better knowing that someone other than myself made it through.

The RPG started as a small puzzle game. The animated screenshot is a remnant of that development. I built the RPG from that game engine. It took me a while to write that because I was still getting familiar with the language. The development process took about three months from start to finish (Designing the 7790 tile map, copying it to my calc, and later compressing it on calc took a long time Smile )

I have wanted to port this game to C ever since I realized that the scope of the project was beyond what Basic could give me. I could do so much more with this game and it would be a shame to let it not reach its potential. The problem is that I need an unfortunately large amount of sleep in order to function properly during the day. The most I can probably do right now is to design a tilemap, I will have to put off coding for now.

AHelper, if I get the opportunity to begin coding the RPG I would love to use your engine (It would certainly give me more time to focus on content Very Happy ). We'll see what happens when summertime comes around.
Glad there was an update. I was wondering where you have been, since I haven't seen you in months before. Hopefully I can give it a try soon. Smile
To summarize my absence: I bought a used laptop and I started sacrificing the rest of my life for technological things including calculator programming. I burned out and decided to take a long break so I could readjust my life properly. Now I am back and now I hopefully have the restraint to use my time responsibly.

In other news, I am designing some tilemaps.
Hi everyone, it's been a while. I found out that by using RLE compression on my maps I can cut the size of this game down by 3KB to 31KB. Limited memory being what it is, I think that was worth an update. Map loading time actually got sped up by a (small) perceptible amount, so this is a win-win situation. I submitted it to the archives, so assuming I did that correctly it should be up soon.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours