Final Update:
I finally finished!! Razz

Version: v1.2
Cemetech Release: https://www.cemetech.net/downloads/files/2408/x2886
Github Repo: https://github.com/Overload02/ScreenSaver_CC26/tree/main

First Post:

(LCD Backlight turns down when program is running.)

Hello Cemetech!

I know this is a bit late. But I'll be joining the contest! I've been inspired by everyone's entries, so I decided to make my own. I also had some free time to start developing; Fall break just started. Smile

So, as you know, the contest is based on screensavers, and I'll be using the CE Toolchain. I first had an idea of creating clones of different operating system screen savers, like Windows or Mac, or graphical demos. But that would have been too boring. My goal was to create something unique but inspiring with meaning.

So, of course, I set sail on a voyage to find something that would be worthwhile. That's when I stumbled on the spritesheet of a game from the 1990's called Sammy's Science House. Sammy's Science House is an educational game aimed at teaching students about different educational topics.

You're probably wondering why I chose this game. In a sense, Cemetech is sort of an educational community where people come together and learn from each other and, of course, develop programs for the calculator.

Anyway, here's the "final" product (I might make some last-minute changes). I had plans to expand it a bit more, like going into each cube and showing its animation, but since there are a few more days left, this is all I have for now.

Feast your eyes on eye candy!!! Razz
Nice volcano! A flopping Magikarp would fit in well with this lol.
Hehe !!
Really enjoy the idea !
This is very simple but really artistic. Toonish style is always good.
Nice job.
Quick Update:

Alright, I have a change of heart when it comes to the project.

So far, the project is simple and too basic Smile . My plan is to spice it up a bit. I want to create a background of TV's with different calculator projects from the Cemetech archive and have a globe of the Cemetech logo moving across the screen like the DVD bouncing logo.

Here's a concept:

(The globe will be much smaller.)

So far, I plan to keep the same movement in the background, but of course include the bouncing movement of the globe. Of course, the TV screens will be filled with small graphic program screenshots (games, etc.) from the archive. Maybe I'll keep some of the art above; I don't know if it fits with the new theme, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Here's an animation of the globe:

Other than this last update, I'll be getting ready for submission, I will keep the community posted on the final product and include some eye candy! Razz

Responses:

slyVTT wrote:
Hehe !!
Really enjoy the idea !
This is very simple but really artistic. Toonish style is always good.
Nice job.

Hello slyVTT, Thanks I think it's a bit "too" artistic and doesn't go with the overall theme I'm going for (which is, of course, Cemetech), but I'm glad you like it!

CoolModder wrote:

Nice volcano! A flopping Magikarp would fit in well with this 0x5.

Thanks! I like the idea! Razz
Quick Update:

So far so good I've updated the globe and changed the backgrounds, and I also plan on including an individual screensaver via scaling. I feel like the current version is a bit too much, mainly too much movement. I'll see what I can do.

Anyway, that's about it Smile

What do you think about the updates?
Quick Update:

Alright, I'm done!

The program should randomly choose whether or not it should display many globes or one now. which is cool!)

I simplified it and made small changes. done!Smile

Technical Jagran:

Development so far: well, I was very worried about the amount of time that I had left since I did come in a tad bit late.

Other than that, after I had the foundation of how I wanted the program to look, the sky was the limit! I changed the sprites, fiddled around, and added a ton of features (mainly bouncing and fading). It was quite simple, and I've done "bouncing movements in Duck Hunt."

Something I really struggled with was the size of the program. At first, with the sprites I had, it was taking up a lot of space. The program was about 28K bytes, but with the implementation of the new sprites, I managed to knock it down to 20K bytes! I feel like I can add a bit more, but that's it for now!

Anyway, it was fun developing over this Thanksgiving, and I really enjoyed it! Also, I want to thank everyone who helped out in the SAX ... Goated!

Edit:

Alright, I promise this is the last update!

I cleaned up the title screen! and added a new movement to the end. So in total, there are 80+ screens to look at!
(And the LCD screen dims itself on the real calculator.)

This wraps it up for me. Overall, I like the overall feel and how the program is technically a screen saver. With all the TV screens, you might as well call it a TV saver.
** Starts Cringing >_< **

Also, what do you think about it?
I really like the change to classic ce games as the animations. It makes it feel familiar and close to home.
Quick Update:

I think this is the final update, promise! Very Happy

(Updated the title screen I changed "snow" to Cemetech's logo.)
I've submitted, and released!

https://github.com/Overload02/ScreenSaver_CC26/releases/tag/v1.0.0

Response:

Calculatordream wrote:
I really like the change to classic CE games in the animations. It makes it feel familiar and close to home.

Thanks! I really said the same thing I like how it brings attention to the community and other people's work! Razz
Alvajoy123 wrote:
Quick Update:

I think this is the final update, promise!

Keyword: Think.
I think it's very fitting to do Cemetech stuff for your contest. I like the TV part with games on Cemetech. Again, this is probably the most fitting screensaver for Cemetech.
Alvajoy123 wrote:
Quick Update:

I think it's very fitting to do Cemetech stuff for your contest. I like the TV part with games on Cemetech. Again, this is probably the most fitting screensaver for Cemetech.
ryanconmartians wrote:
Alvajoy123 wrote:
Quick Update:

lol "think" yeah, I'm done now. Smile

I'm glad you like it. Yeah, I had to think outside the box for that one. I was going to skin them with actual TI-84 plus CE sprites rather than the TV sprites, but that would have been a bit boring. Idk what do you think?

Edit:

Alright, I changed it to a calculator skin! It looks amazing. (I'm keeping this!) Razz

Also lost 2 KB! so we're down to 17.9KB.

This I have to create a new release and submit it again. Wink
*Sighs*

Release: https://github.com/Overload02/ScreenSaver_CC26/releases/tag/v1.1.0

Sent a submission again!
Wow! Nice job!
Final Update:
I finally finished!! Razz

Version: v1.2
Cemetech Release: https://www.cemetech.net/downloads/files/2408/x2886
Github Repo: https://github.com/Overload02/ScreenSaver_CC26/tree/main

Response:

Hot_Dog wrote:
Wow! Nice job!

Thanks Hot_Dog, yours looks better! Razz
Having played with this, the concept is rather fun but I have a small collection of comments/complaints to share!

• It feels like there's an abrupt jump on the TV scroll when the cemetech icons reach the right side of the screen. I wish it scrolled smoothly and continuously.
  • The overall framerate of the TV scroll feels choppy, I think in large part because every screen updates at the same time. If their updates were staggered I think it would look smoother. Having variable framerates for each TV also seems like it would help them look better when shown alone.
  • I wish the location of each display in the TV scroll were randomized, instead of always having the same location relative to the others- that would feel more like panning across an infinite grid of displays.
This is really cool Alvajoy! Can't wait to see what you create next!! Razz
Tari wrote:
Having played with this, the concept is rather fun but I have a small collection of comments/complaints to share!

• It feels like there's an abrupt jump on the TV scroll when the cemetech icons reach the right side of the screen. I wish it scrolled smoothly and continuously.
  • The overall framerate of the TV scroll feels choppy, I think in large part because every screen updates at the same time. If their updates were staggered I think it would look smoother. Having variable framerates for each TV also seems like it would help them look better when shown alone.
  • I wish the location of each display in the TV scroll were randomized, instead of always having the same location relative to the others- that would feel more like panning across an infinite grid of displays.

Thanks, Tari, for the "comments/complaints"! Smile

So far, the complaints are nothing too bad (with the time I had <_<); it seems like most of the issues deal with optimization and new additions to TV scrolling. I'll be adding these to my to-do list. Thank you for the input; I found it very useful! Smile

CrazyFrog wrote:
This is really cool Alvajoy! Can't wait to see what you create next!! Razz

Thank you soo much! Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours