Always good to see clever optimisations and that profiler is a great idea!
Good Job Smile . Will the Enemy Sprites stay in one position or eventually move?
The enemy tanks will eventually move around. I'll probably implement the early level tanks that just wander around randomly first, but eventually, I hope to also add the tanks from the later levels that are actually somewhat intelligent.

Right now, I'm trying to give them some actual graphics, rather than just numbered squares, which will make it more obvious which direction they are facing when moving. However, convimg isn't cooperating - I tried updating it so that I won't have to rewrite my config file again in the future, and now my tilesets don't work.
I've gotten enemy tank rendering working:

I'm using a dynamic palette, where each tank color gets 5 unique colors, plus 2 shared colors for the wood tread. This means that I only have to store one copy of the enemy tank sprite (per rotation) in the program, and I can generate the rest later. I also set up a system to automatically trim the sprites and store the amount trimmed by to use as an offset. Combined with sprite mirroring and compression, this means that not much of the program actually stores sprite data.

The tanks look a bit off to me - I think that that's because the color that I'm replacing for the dynamic palette is really saturated, which means that there's not much contrast between the different sides of the tank. I don't really feel like fixing that right now, as I don't have the palette generation automated for the other tank colors, and I don't want to re-enter 50 different RGB colors.

Hopefully, the tanks will look a bit better when they're moving around and rotating, as our brains are generally pretty good at working out motion from even blurry videos.

The game is still running at 31 FPS in the screenshot, even with 7 tanks. Of that, 14.8 ms is spent on rendering tanks, 10.2 ms is spent on AI, and 3.8 ms is spent on processing collisions. This is pretty good, as my target is 30 FPS and I still have plenty of things to optimize to give time for movement AI.

Next, I think I'll work on enemy motion, so that the game is actually playable, then finish up the graphics.
After that, I've been thinking about how to implement multiplayer, both in a 2-player co-op mode like in the original game, and an online multiplayer PvP mode using a similar architecture to TI-Trek.

Also, do you guys think that a series of short videos explaining how the game is implemented would be interesting?
Looks great man! I particularly like the palette strategy and storage tricks you're using to keep the size down.

I'd be interested in dev videos for sure.
My last GitHub release is really old, and someone messaged me on Discord about it, so I've decided to make a new release so that you can try it out without having to install the LLVM toolchain, which takes ages. It includes the rather buggy AI.

Here's the download: https://github.com/commandblockguy/tanks-ce/releases/tag/v0.3-alpha

Minor progress update: I added an aim indicator, then realized that the precision on physics objects is so bad that the shell's trajectory is several degrees off from the aim indicator.
I've made a few graphical improvements - namely, the border around the map, and the kill and life counters.

I may add some more variation to the border, as is present in the original game, but that's a low priority for now.
And it turns out the issue with the aim indicator wasn't with precision; I just forgot to skew the angle to match the perspective. That's been corrected as well

Here's the download, if you want to give it a try yourself: https://github.com/commandblockguy/tanks-ce/releases/tag/v0.4-alpha

EDIT:
So apparently, the original game uses a different set of levels depending on the aspect ratio. My reference images and video are all from the 16:9 version, but the CE's screen is 4:3. That explains why I was having so much trouble getting everything to fit on-screen.

So, I guess I can either leave everything as-is or re-enter all of the levels and re-scale all of my graphics to match the larger block size. That's going to take a while, but hopefully, it will mean that more of the screen will be used by stuff actually relevant to gameplay.
I've switched everything over to the correct 4:3 levels and sprites.
I've also added rendering for shells:

I plan to enable clipping to stop the banner at the bottom from bugging out. The other visual bugs are also on my to-do list and will be fixed prior to release.

Here's the download, yada yada.
Wow it's coming along so fast now, it's playable!!!
I fixed the super broken enemy tank rendering:

I added more different colors, fixed the bug where some colors were transparent, and the bug where the rest were all actually the same color. I'm unsure how I previously thought that the code was working.
I also set up a Python script to automatically generate the dynamic palette, which took me forever to do by hand last time.

I've also fixed the UI, though I forgot to show it in the screenshot.
Another progress update:
I've switched everything to C++ using the LLVM branch of the toolchain - there isn't a significant reason for this. I thought there might be a slight readability benefit, but mostly I wanted to mess around with C++ since I haven't used it much before.
C++ is definitely a bit wonky on the CE - I had to modify the fileioc header slightly to get it to work, and the standard library is basically nonexistent, so I used tinystl at Adriweb's suggestion. Jacobly also added definitions for the new and delete operators to the toolchain, since they wouldn't work otherwise. I've also run into a few bizarre issues, such as the _vtable pointer being off by one only when I don't have a debug print in the relevant constructor.

Rather than just changing the file extension, I also changed most of the objects to be classes. Previously, I had tank_t, shell_t, and mine_t as structs containing a phys_body_t struct, and then had several functions that acted on pointers to phys_body_t. I've replaced this with Tank, Shell, and Mine classes, that inherit from a PhysicsBody class and implement functions like process and render.

I also changed how objects are stored in memory. Previously, I malloc'd an array of tank_t structs, and had each tank struct contain an array of the maximum number of shells that any tank type could fire. I now dynamically allocate each object when it's created, and keep a vector of pointers to PhysicsBody instances. Rather than having the tank keep track of which shells belong to it, I have each shell keep track of which tank it belongs to. This likely slows down object creation, but it makes it simpler to iterate through every active physics body. It also means that a custom level could theoretically allow you to shoot hundreds of shells, rather being limited to a particular maximum number of shells at compile time.

I also keep the vector of active objects sorted by y-depth. This has a few benefits - firstly, it allows me to render the graphics from back to front, rather than in an arbitrary order, which makes sure that you can't see something through an object that's supposed to be in front of it. Secondly, it also makes collision detection more efficient when there are a large number of physics bodies at once. Previously, I had to check each alive object against every other object, so doubling the number of objects would always quadruple the amount of time it takes to process collisions. With y-sorting, I can now stop checking for collisions with a particular object as soon as I encounter an object that's too far away to collide on the y-axis, and know that all objects after that will also not collide. This means I can get a best-case time complexity of O(n).

I made a few minor changes to the program before the switch to C++, which I did not think were significant enough to warrant an update in the thread.

Firstly, I replaced the depthmap-based obscuration system I was using (which didn't even work and just had a hackfix preventing the ground from obscuring objects) with a heightmap-based system that's a bit cleaner. I'm still not satisfied with it, as currently, it redraws tiles rather than clipping the sprite, and also runs twice, once for the base of the tank and once for the turret. As a result, drawing a single tank sprite can result in the same screen location being blitted up to 8 times per frame. Ideally, this would be cut down to 4 - two for partial redraw, one for the base, and one for the turret.

I also added a noclip hack. If you can find it, use at your own risk, as if you go out of bounds stuff is likely to crash.

Finally, I updated the placeholder explosion. The new one might be in the game for a while, as explosion animations take up a lot of space.

I'm not sure what I'm going to work on next - mine graphics are probably the highest priority, but the program I use to get 3D models is refusing to run after I accidentally reset my Wine install somehow.
The aspect of the game most interesting to me right now is probably a particle system - I have an idea as to how I would implement a "transparent" smoke trail behind shells, as well as the tank tracks and X's that get left behind.
I also need to work on the menus some, but I find measuring and laying out buttons somewhat boring, so that's probably going to be left until the end.

Here's a screenshot I took a few commits ago - I don't think anything has visibly changed since then, aside from the heightmap system.

Finally, as usual, if you want to check it out for yourself, here's the 8xp download and the GitHub repository for this version (v0.7-alpha).
I welcome any feedback - I have very little C++ experience, so I'd appreciate any complaints about how to improve code quality.
WHOA! This game is looking awesome! It's so close to the real deal and looks really fun to play.

I can appreciate how much has gone into the switch to C++, I've seen you on IRC working on getting everything working, great job! Smile.
This is absolutely fantastic! I will definitely be downloading this!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 3
» All times are GMT - 5 Hours