Recently, I received my Numworks calculator. I had been wanting to try it out for several reasons, one of the biggest being its support for Python programming. Here is a quick video I created showing off some of its features:

What do you guys think? (In terms of the video and the calculator itself). Do you agree with my opinions? Have you tried this calculator before?
I was thinking about buying the Numworks Calc but then again it does not have real time functions. I have been using the ti-84+ce for 4 years and i think it will have a weird fell to it . I may still buy it just because of the amazing python.
I've been on the fence about buying one of these for a long time now. From what I've seen looking at the specs and usability, it looks to be pretty much the best calculator on the market, except for the fact that they don't have a community around it. I particularly like the copy and paste buttons, which is one thing TI has been really late to the party with. The only thing I think could be improved is the amount of ROM and RAM memory, which are both inauspiciously small, relative to the other specs.
As for the yellow 2nd function text on the keys being hard to read, that has been improved in the latest revision.
I still feel like it is a relatively new calculator from a new company, and that there are probably small issues still left to iron out. If they ever release a 2nd generation product with some more small fixes, I'll be sure to get one Smile
I commented this on the video but I'll ask it here too. How is this allowed on the ACT? I thought all CAS calculators were banned. And since the OS is completely open source, like ti84calcwiz said, you could completely disable or modify the test mode as much as you'd like. Does anyone know why it's still allowed?
The ACT doesn't require an exam mode, and is basically about having a calculator that doesn't have a CAS (and works in a standalone way, doesn't make sound, can be cleared of documents... the usual stuff), see http://www.act.org/content/dam/act/unsecured/documents/ACT-calculator-policy.pdf

The Numworks doesn't have a CAS engine, but an exact math engine (like the TI-83 Premium CE).
The fact that it is open source and can be relatively easily modified probably doesn't matter (if the ACT gave written approval to Numworks, I guess they tested the unmodified numworks/official OS, which is what most people would have anyway) - it's not like other calculators can't be modified, in fact it's probably worse, one can also add a CAS on the TI-Nspire, on some Casio models, etc.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours