Hi I was wondering if your limited to the alphabet for variables, does that mean that there are only 26 possible variables in TI-BASIC program?
Techincally, yes. Although don't forget about lists, strings, and matrices, which can expand your options.
Also don't forget θ Wink
although some of the information here is incorrect, check this out: here
It depends what calculator you are using. If I remember correctly, my TI-85 allowed me to have variables that were multiple characters (that was a long time ago so maybe I'm wrong there). I suggest using Lists to store data, it keeps everything tidy.
@_iPhoenix_ I'm confused so your saying that we can use equations to make variables instead of letters?
The 'normal' variables are A-Z, θ, [recursiven] and all the Finance variables, which are faster than A-Z and θ. If you run out of variables, I recommend using lists; there are 6 OS lists, L1-L6 and you can make *any* custom-named list of max 5 letters/numbers (at least the name should start with a letter). If that is not enough, you can use matrices, [A]-[J]. Now you should have enough to store your data. Smile
davidclue wrote:
@_iPhoenix_ I'm confused so your saying that we can use equations to make variables instead of letters?

No, I was calculating the total amount of data you can store, ignoring memory limits.

Here are all of the *useful* available data types:
Variables (including recursive ones, theta, and finance)
Lists
Strings
Matrices

Each has different limitations and advantages, but each is useful in its own, special way. Rolling Eyes
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
davidclue wrote:

No, I was calculating the total amount of data you can store, ignoring memory limits.

Lists
Strings
Matrices

Each has different limitations and advantages, but each is useful in its own, special way. Rolling Eyes

I have a question on Menu's can you space out titles to take multiple lines like you can with Display

Display Example: Disp "First Line","Second Line","Third Line"
davidclue wrote:
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
davidclue wrote:

Lists
Strings
Matrices

I have a question on Menu's can you space out titles to take multiple lines like you can with Display

Display Example: Disp "First Line","Second Line","Third Line"

Nope, you can't have the title be longer than a single line.
As for the variables, there are a few...
there are of course A-Z +θ
Then, there is the recursive n (meant to be used in sequential equations, but it is 0.5ms faster than regular variables)
The finance variables (accessible through the app called finance)
    N
    I%
    PV
    PMT
    FV
    P/Y
    C/Y

However, you need to be careful with P/Y and C/Y because they affect each other
Then there are the function variables
    u
    v
    w

Basically, you could use these are regular variables, since they store an expression and evaluate it, but your input will have to be in the form of a string. For example,

Code:
"1→u
Disp u+3

would display 4. Esentially, if you want to store to them, you put quotation marks, but when you recall them, they will output floats.
You can do the same sort of thing with the function variables...
    Y₁
    Y₂
    Y₃
    Y₄
    Y₅
    Y₆
    Y₇
    Y₈
    Y₉
    Y₀

Of course you could also use their parametric and polar equivalents.
Then I guess technically you could also use the window and table variables, if you dont intend to use the graph screen of course, changing the values of the window variables will affect the window of the graph screen, hence the name window variables Razz I wont take the time to list them all, but you get the idea...
And finally, there is everyone's favorite variable:
    Ans

This one gets easily overwritten by a big chunk of operations, so I definitely don't recommend it to store anything long term, but it is extremely useful all the time, and can be counted as a variable...

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours