Because jonbush organized the last 4 contests (Crypto Golfing, Chatty Cyborgs, On Rails and Winter Wonderland), some members decided it would be fun to organize a contest themselves, including PT_, Pieman7373 and mr womp womp. After some brainstorming sessions, we are more than happy to announce the theme for Cemetech Contest #19: Pathfinding from Hell

In Pathfinding from Hell, you are challenged to create a pathfinding algorithm in pure TI-BASIC, but with some restrictions. This algorithm should find it's way through a matrix with walls, and a starting/ending point. To win this contest, your algorithm must be the fastest and smallest, and follow the rules. The final submission date is March 24th, which means you have exactly 3 weeks to complete it.

However, it would not be a fun contest, if there are no restrictions, because just creating a pathfinding algorithm can be pretty easy. That's why we decided to exclude some TI-BASIC tokens, including these:

Code:
Ans
)
Str0-Str9

<
D-θ
*finance vars*
n
Return
*newline*

Indeed, D-θ, the finance vars and the recursive n are not allowed, which means you can only use 3 numeric variables. The input is a 10x10 matrix, provided in [A], which consists of 0's and 1's. A "1" means there is a wall, and thus you can't pass it. A "0" is nothing. The start- and endpoint are at (2,1) and (9,1) respectively. Output should be written to [A] as well, and the path should be filled with 2's. You may assume there is a way from the startpoint to the endpoint. This is an example input:

In this case, various outputs are possible, this is one possibility:

The path should be singular, which means you are not allowed to simply change the 0's to 2's, that is not a pathfinding algorithm.

Prizes:
The first and second place winners will receive $30 and $15 respectively in the form of Steam gift cards.

Rules:
  • The contest will run until 3/24/2017, at 23:59:59pm Eastern Time. No late entries will be accepted.
  • Submit entries by emailing them, in a zip file, to contest at this domain. Please put your Cemetech username in the email topic or body. If you multiple entries are recieved, only the last one will be judged.
  • If you want to participate, please post it in this thread, such that we know it.
  • Entries including one of the above stated TI-BASIC tokens will be disqualified.
  • Judging will be done by the aforementioned Cemetech members: PT_, Pieman7373 and mr womp womp. You can find the scoring details below. All judges are disqualified from participating. Results will be posted no later than 10 days after the end of the contest.
  • Contestants may not release binaries until the end of the contest; posting small code snippets to ask for help is allowed.
  • Fine print rules can be found here.

Scoring:

Code:
Score:
  Speed:
    #1: 45/(number_of_participants-1)*(number_of_participants-1)
    #2: 45/(number_of_participants-1)*(number_of_participants-2)
    #3: 45/(number_of_participants-1)*(number_of_participants-3)
  Size:
    #1: 45/(number_of_participants-1)*(number_of_participants-1)
    #2: 45/(number_of_participants-1)*(number_of_participants-2)
    #3: 45/(number_of_participants-1)*(number_of_participants-3)
  Elegance:
    Max 10 points

See this link for a VBS script how we will calculate the score.
YAY!!!!!
[edit] deleted by poster as PT_ did cool stuff and fixed it.

[edit^2] And if it isn't clear, I'm entering if I can get my program optimized.

EDIT^3
I'm going to type "CC19" here so that I can easily find this thread later.
Programs have to be written SPECIFICALLY for this... no recycling! Razz
And that isnt a loophole...
Pieman7373 wrote:
Programs have to be written SPECIFICALLY for this... no recycling!
And that isnt a loophole...

Ok. I know you guys haven't seen my previous pathfinding thingies (I haven't shared them) but you have my word that I will not use them/parts of them.
Good! >:3
I would like to participate in this contest since I'm not running it this time.
jonbush wrote:

I'm screwed now.
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
jonbush wrote:

I'm screwed now.

That is what i thought last contest (because i was going against PT_ Razz ) but i ended up winning, so dont lose hope _iPhoenix_!
No newline?! I'm literally going to kill myself.

Also, I plan to participate in this contest Razz
Kerm might kill everyone, but it will be worth it! Razz
Pieman7373 wrote:
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
jonbush wrote:

I'm screwed now.

That is what i thought last contest (because i was going against PT_ Razz ) but i ended up winning, so dont lose hope _iPhoenix_!

I won't. I do have a little experience, and I hope that gives me a tiny advantage, but my guess is that everyone else participating will have some, too!
OPTIMIZATION BOTS, ROLL OUT!
Btw, everything will be tested on a CE
Pieman7373 wrote:

Yep, entries will be tested with a CE with OS 5.2.1.0042, which includes some new TI-BASIC tokens.
CalcMeister wrote:
OPTIMIZATION BOTS, ROLL OUT!

Razz
There used to be this really amazing optimizer, but I guess they removed it.

Bad Idea Sad
PT_ wrote:
Pieman7373 wrote:

Yep, entries will be tested with a CE with OS 5.2.1.0042, which includes some new TI-BASIC tokens.

Most of which are useless for this contest, such as Wait 0x5
CalcMeister wrote:
PT_ wrote:
Pieman7373 wrote:

Most of which are useless for this contest, such as Wait 0x5

Not for testing. I use it all the time!
You could use Wait to make your program slower
*hides*
Pieman7373 wrote:
You could use Wait to make your program slower
*hides*

Ya know, "Slow and steady wins the race Cemetech Contest"

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours