Login [Register]
Don't have an account? Register now to chat, post, use our tools, and much more.


During the previous Cemetech Contest, On Rails, we challenged contestants to make complete train-themed games for a graphing calculators. This contest generated a good amount of interest, and resulted in the production of at least four new calculator games. Cemetech members reviewed these games and decided that Unicorn’s entry “Switch Operator” deserved first place commendation, followed closely by Rico’s “RailMaze” and Kydapoot’s “Railroad Empire.”

Overview:
For Winter Wonderland, you are challenged to create three programs over the course of four weeks. At the beginning of each week, a keyword will be posted in this thread indicating the theme of that week’s programs. Each program must fit into one of the categories listed below, provided that you have not already submitted a program in that category. Programs must be submitted within 7 days of the weekly keyword posting. You may only submit entries for three out of the four weeks.

If you would like to participate in Winter Wonderland please state your intent by posting in this thread. If you decide to participate, you will receive a Cemetech Private Message containing your “contestant key” used when submitting your entries.

For each submission, please put all necessary files and instructions inside a single zip file and upload it using the form at http://jonbush.net/contest-submission.

Categories:
▪ Games
▪ Math/Science Utilities
▪ Graphics/Simulation
▪ Anything else

Rules:
1. Each entry must be related in some way to the keyword for that week
2. Each program from a particular contestant must fall into a category distinct from the respective categories of all other programs submitted by that contestant.
3. Entries must be submitted within 7 days (168 hours) of the weekly keyword posting
4. If multiple entries are submitted during the same week, only the latest will be considered
5. Judging will be performed by a team picked from among the Cemetech administrators and members; all judges are disqualified from entering the contest
6. Entries may be made for any platform and in any programming language. If the judges do not have access to your platform of choice, you must provide a video demonstration.
7. Only the first three distinct weekly entries from a contestant will be considered by the judges
8. Fine print rules can be found here. Please note that members from France are now eligible to receive prizes.

EDIT:
▪ Please maintain a contest thread documenting the progress of your entries.
▪ You may receive help from other Cemetech members, provided that communication is done publicly through the forum or through SAX/IRC.

Prizes

The first and second place winners will receive Steam gift cards in the amounts of $50 and $20 respectively.
I definitely want to participate! Very Happy
I think I would like to participate!

What do you mean keywords, though? Like "sleigh-ride" and then you have to create a sleigh-ride game that week?
The first keyword is: snow

Entries for this week are due by 20:55 UTC on 25 December 2016.
I'll join. I have some great ideas.
I'm in Smile
I'll try. I may not be able to finish anything Laughing but I'll do as much as I can.
Why not? My programs will be pretty simple but I'll give it a shot. Also, does these have to be on calculators? I have been messing around with python recently and was wondering if that is allowed.
I'd like to see what I can do Smile
Kydapoot wrote:
Why not? My programs will be pretty simple but I'll give it a shot. Also, does these have to be on calculators? I have been messing around with python recently and was wondering if that is allowed.
If you click on the link to the submittal page in the first post, there are computer platforms allowed as well as an "other" option.
seanlego23 wrote:
If you click on the link to the submittal page in the first post, there are computer platforms allowed as well as an "other" option.

Oh, I didn't see that. Thanks!
I'll give it a shot, don't expect much, however.
I don't have a lot of time, and I actually got somewhat stuck with my creativity right at the first keyword, haha!
Sure, I'd love to join!
Okay, I guess I can leave this contest right here, to spare me the embarrassing moment when I show my results. People are clearly superior to me, and my program is fairly low effort so far.

Edit:
I decided this when I saw what PT_ made, actually. Razz
Also, yes, consider this to be an official retreat. I have seen what people did, and I can't even come close to it in this time. I prefer to spend the little time I have on things that may actually turn out useful in the end, than on a contest where I see that I am clearly at the very bottom of.
Sorry, to hear that, Nik. Sad Good luck on your other projects though!
Is there the option to send previous weeks in (like sending all 3 entries at once at the end of the contest) I think that might be a good idea because it would allow users to spend more than a week on some projects, and would allow late arrivals to participate. I feel like I would definitely be one to randomly decide to participate 2 weeks too late Razz
Also, how will judges be picked?
I agree with mr womp womp, because this week has been a little crazy, and the first one is due right around christmas, so that takes last-minute work time away, and it would just be better! Very Happy
I disagree because life has deadlines and you should meet them, and if you can't, I'm sorry. This is not something like a job where it's a lot more stressful and you can try to extend a deadline. This is a competition that you can be apart of on your own time.
That's my opinion.
mr womp womp wrote:
Is there the option to send previous weeks in (like sending all 3 entries at once at the end of the contest) I think that might be a good idea because it would allow users to spend more than a week on some projects, and would allow late arrivals to participate. I feel like I would definitely be one to randomly decide to participate 2 weeks too late Razz
Also, how will judges be picked?

Pieman7373 wrote:
I agree with mr womp womp, because this week has been a little crazy, and the first one is due right around christmas, so that takes last-minute work time away, and it would just be better! Very Happy

seanlego23 wrote:
I disagree because life has deadlines and you should meet them, and if you can't, I'm sorry. This is not something like a job where it's a lot more stressful and you can try to extend a deadline. This is a competition that you can be apart of on your own time.
That's my opinion.


This is why we are only requiring three submissions out of the four possible. If you need to miss one of the deadlines, it won't disqualify you from the contest (you still have to submit three programs on time). The current rules won't be changed, but I will take these comments into consideration for future contests.
This is just a reminder that contest entries for the first week need to be submitted by 20:55 UTC on 25 December 2016. Please use my contest submission form to submit your entries.

I have been very impressed with the progress I have seen so far. Best of luck to everyone.
  
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are GMT - 5 Hours
 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum