I watched the latest Star Wars film at the midnight premier and was wondering peoples general thoughts?

Please no spoilers or specific details yet as the movie has just been released.
Post spoilers in this topic!

I enjoyed the film for the most part, I very much liked the mix of practical vs visual effects and overall consider it to be a film well worth watching.

Has anyone else seen it?
I haven't seen it yet, but I definitely need to this weekend. I already saw something on Facebook that I didn't want to see dang it, so I'm avoiding social media until I see it.

My brother said it's his favourite Star Wars movie, and another mate said it was incredible. So I'm excited, although trying not to have stupidly high expectations just in case Smile
I'll be seeing it tomorrow. I'm stoked. The day tickets were available I spent two hours on the Fandango app trying to get tickets at the Alamo Draft House opening up in San Francisco this same weekend. We wanted to go there because of the collectibles they were giving out - a beer mug and, I think, a comic book. But the app kept crashing so my friend bought tickets at the next best theater which doesn't sell tickets on Fandango. Which resides in Oakland.

I just got a text from my friend today about the theater he got tickets at, The Grand Lake; It's a gorgeous theater. The article states it's the best place to watch Star Wars in the country, which may include lots of local bias. Wink But nonetheless, we're stoked. It's not assigned seating like it would have been at the Alamo, but we'll get there early and wait in line.

ABC7 Article* wrote:
"We've gone back to the way 3D was shown in the 50s, with two distinct projection units -- one for your left eye and one for your right," said theatre owner Allen Michaan.

Back in the day, they used two film projectors. But now, this grand old movie palace has two brand new digital projectors.

The Grand Lake is the only theater in the Bay Area showing "Star Wars" in two projector 3D. And if you're one of those people who just can't stand watching 3D movies, well they say it may be because you've just never seen one shown in a theater like this.

Also, Alamo has a great reputation and truly doesn't care about people who don't care either. (Kinda, NSFW. It's censored, but still).

*We aren't seeing it in 3D because it wasn't filmed in 3D so we won't experience this but I think I may go back and watch it as I've never seen a 2 Projector 3D movie before.
I'm just going to go ahead and say this. Wow. Oh My God wow.

They followed the style of the original trilogy and everything wrong with the first 3 movies is not present here. If anyone is looking to watch the first 6 movies in the best way possible this is what I recommend.

Watch Episodes 4 and 5 in their entirety. This gives you the surprises andtwists in those movies without the prequel trilogies (1, 2, 3) spoiling anything. Then, watch the Phantom Edit of Episodes 1, 2 and 3 on YouTube, it's just over 2 hours. This will act as a flash back after the cliff hanger at the end of Ep5. This starts off at the very, very end of Ep1 and then cuts in key story from 2 and 3. After that, watch Ep6. Then of course Ep7. This is known as Machete Order and I strongly recommend it.

The prequel trilogy doesn't follow the visual style of the original trilogy at all and is considered a massive embarrassment to the franchise by the fans. So, the Phantom Edit is a more manageable method of watching them and the Machete Order allows the style of those movies to be a bit more forgiving in the sense that it's a flashback and the narrative of said flashback.

But yeah. Wow. This will be a movie I see a few times over and over again. My friends and I are already making it a tradition to see the future Ep8 and 9 at this same theater. The other Star Wars movies, like Rouge One, will be watched else where. We're already thinking it'll be the Alamo Draft House.

Again. Oh man. You'll laugh. You'll cry. You'll cheer. I'll tell you though. I've never seen a Star Wars film in theater, that I recall - being 26 and all, I was 9 when Ep1 came out. So it's plausible I saw them in theaters. But being a pretty decent fan of the series, it didn't hit home that I was in a theater going to be watching Star Wars until the title text appeared and started scrolling. I found the biggest smile on my face for the entire intro text. I felt like I was reliving the days when my dad sat in the theater to watch Ep3-6.
I'm going to see it Christmas day with my family. Although my older brother's already seen it, he's promised to not spoil the part where ...
(jk I'm not spoiling)
That was absolutely amazing. I got to see it for free in 3D because my orthodontist bought out the theater and was handing out tickets Smile As I am only 16, I've never seen any star wars movies in an actual theater, but I'm glad I got to see this one on the big screen. Totally going to watch it several times Very Happy This is definitely my favorite one so far.
Now I can't wait to see it! I'm probably gonna go sometime after Christmas with my friends.

I saw the Phantom Menace in 3D a few years ago in theater.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours