MateoConLechuga wrote:
JamesV wrote:
This is looking incredible, Mateo!

The only suggestion I currently have would be to bring the play screen down a bit, and putting the world name up the top. It might break up the screen a bit nicer. Or it might backfire and get messy.. But maybe worth a try depending on how hard coded the play screen vertical positioning currently is Smile

Thanks; yeah I kind of made it so the y offset is hardcoded now; since calculating from 0 is faster than adding an offset every time. I'll keep playing with it Razz

Anywho, added pipes and vines for fun; I still have to work out some bugs with left/right pipes, but up and down work fine.

So, question. How do you plan to do levels? I can see you are using SM3 graphics, were you wanting to create worlds with the levels in it? If so, maybe http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/400/40006.html will have some inspirations on making level sets? What you've got going so far looks fantastic so far!
KermMartian wrote:
Even though you're on sabbatical, the contributions you have made to the community continue to help us daily. We hope you'll eventually return!

Does this mean that Mateo is taking a break from programming for a while? Confused
TheLastMillennial wrote:
tr1p1ea wrote:
I'm pretty sure that you do get an extra jump when you jump on a koopa?

I am certain of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyaV69g6mps

Although this is not the exact kind of Mario that Mateo is creating, I just played Mario on my Wii (yeah, I still have Wii 0x5 ) and you do bounce when you jump on a shell, or a koopa. But it does have be a perfect landing on the middle of the shell.

Sure, you can bounce on a shell (and stop it) if it was moving before you jumped on it, but I don't think shells that weren't moving work the same way.
JosJuice wrote:
TheLastMillennial wrote:
tr1p1ea wrote:
I'm pretty sure that you do get an extra jump when you jump on a koopa?

I am certain of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyaV69g6mps

Although this is not the exact kind of Mario that Mateo is creating, I just played Mario on my Wii (yeah, I still have Wii 0x5 ) and you do bounce when you jump on a shell, or a koopa. But it does have be a perfect landing on the middle of the shell.

Sure, you can bounce on a shell (and stop it) if it was moving before you jumped on it, but I don't think shells that weren't moving work the same way.

That's right, if a shell is not moving, and you touch it, it gets kicked to the opposite direction from which you landed on it (have no idea how exact center is handled), and there is no bounce.
Hey cool game you created! I was wondering how I can download this game because I can not find anyway to download this. Graphing Calculator
BEZALBEATER wrote:
Hey cool game you created! I was wondering how I can download this game because I can not find anyway to download this. Graphing Calculator

Ya can't it is still being created, and therefore, not released yet. It will probably be announced somewhere when it does get released, I think at this point we are all very excited about this project! Smile
mr womp womp wrote:
BEZALBEATER wrote:

Ya can't it is still being created, and therefore, not released yet. It will probably be announced somewhere when it does get released, I think at this point we are all very excited about this project! Smile

Yes I'm excited too, but on the topic 'Happy birthday MaterConLechuga' Kerm said
Quote:
Even though you're on sabbatical, the contributions you have made to the community continue to help us daily. We hope you'll eventually return!

Does this mean that Mateo is taking a break from programming for a while? Confused
TheLastMillennial wrote:
but on the topic 'Happy birthday MaterConLechuga' Kerm said
Quote:

That was last year... As far as I know, he is here almost every day lately, and churning out piles of code, so I think he is definitely not on a break Wink
mr womp womp wrote:
TheLastMillennial wrote:
but on the topic 'Happy birthday MaterConLechuga' Kerm said
Quote:

That was last year... As far as I know, he is here almost every day lately, and churning out piles of code, so I think he is definitely not on a break Wink

Heh, :embarrassedface: I forgot to look at the date of the post! Razz Oh well, thanks! Very Happy
Some strength testing. Not any slowdown Very Happy

Very nice! I want to resurrect one of my own ancient game projects that included a tilemapped background world and many moving items, so I'm definitely going to be inspecting and understanding your code when I make the time for it. Do you intend to filter out the core game engine as anything skeletal and extensible at some point, or is that outside the scope of your interests at the moment?
KermMartian wrote:
Very nice! I want to resurrect one of my own ancient game projects that included a tilemapped background world and many moving items, so I'm definitely going to be inspecting and understanding your code when I make the time for it. Do you intend to filter out the core game engine as anything skeletal and extensible at some point, or is that outside the scope of your interests at the moment?

Yeah I probably want to make a bare-bones system, but then again I don't know how much time that will take to clean it up and make it not as crazy as it is now. Razz Also, slopes are hard Sad Very hard.
MateoConLechuga wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Yeah I probably want to make a bare-bones system, but then again I don't know how much time that will take to clean it up and make it not as crazy as it is now. Razz Also, slopes are hard Sad Very hard.
Yes, that was something I discovered while working with M-Game it's not something I want to do in ASM any more, and it's barely something I want to do in C.
KermMartian wrote:
Yes, that was something I discovered while working with M-Game it's not something I want to do in ASM any more, and it's barely something I want to do in C.

Heh yeah that's the truth. Anywho, started added support for slopes... right now I just have 45 degree ones but adding the two other ones shouldn't be too hard.

Yay!!! Mateo you are awesome!!!
Holy potato. Great stuff Mateo!

I think we already know which release will win POTY 2017 in the CE category.. Wink

EDIT - I'm currently working on porting over a platformer from the 83/83+, and wondered if you could offer some advice?

You're using 16x16 8bpp sprites, is that right? And scrolling 2 pixels per frame when walking at normal speed?

What are your thoughts on using 4bpp sprites? Is the size saving (128 bytes per 16x16 4bpp sprite vs. 256 bytes per 16x16 8bpp sprite) worth the speed sacrifice to write to the 8bpp vram?

Is your sprite data compressed in the appvar and you decompress when the program starts?
JamesV wrote:
You're using 16x16 8bpp sprites, is that right? And scrolling 2 pixels per frame when walking at normal speed?

Yep, that's right Smile

Quote:
What are your thoughts on using 4bpp sprites? Is the size saving (128 bytes per 16x16 4bpp sprite vs. 256 bytes per 16x16 8bpp sprite) worth the speed sacrifice to write to the 8bpp vram?

Maybe if they were decompressed... It might be worth it to just use 4bpp in that case.

Quote:
Is your sprite data compressed in the appvar and you decompress when the program starts?

Nah, it's read directly from the appvar in flash.

Almost done with all the different slope collisions; few minor bugs but it shouldn't take too much to fix:
Hey! Nice job getting slopes almost done, I understand you dind't exactly want to implement them Razz
MateoConLechuga wrote:
Almost done with all the different slope collisions; few minor bugs but it shouldn't take too much to fix:
Curious minds inquire if you are tagging tiles with some kind of hidden black-and-white (ie, true/false) collision mask, or using some other method.
KermMartian wrote:
MateoConLechuga wrote:
Curious minds inquire if you are tagging tiles with some kind of hidden black-and-white (ie, true/false) collision mask, or using some other method.

Heightmaps; so just sloped tiles are handled differently. Pretty simple to implement; if it is touching a slope tile than it can either move or not depending on the xy value inside the tile.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 10 of 19
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours