Is it better to build a house on the fly, or to plan it out using this?
Build on the fly
 38%  [ 5 ]
Plan it out
 7%  [ 1 ]
Don't care
 0%  [ 0 ]
Depends on the situation
 53%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 13

I have been working on a program that allows the user to create a house on their calculator, based off Minecraft. This would allow the user to plan a house on their Graphing Calculator . NOTE:This does not allow you to play Minecraft. It is only for planning out a house.

I will post screenshots and code in a while.

One of the reason's that I am posting this is for this reason: how should I do the block selector i.e. how to pick a block type, like switch from a torch to a door to a redstone repeater, and so on? Should I have a GUI, a menu.... ?
because you want to switch block types, I assume this is for the color calculators, correct? and yes, a custom menu would be good.

Depending on how complex this program is, it probably won't be super useful, especially for the more advanced builders like me. Usually the things I build in minecraft are quite detailed and complex, so I kind of plan out my things inside minecraft itself, and I also adjust my builds to blend in with the terrain. However, like I said before, this depends on how complex this project is Smile

Is this 2D or 3D?
Most certainly in 3d!!! And how should i get started on creating the gui? By the way, this is for the color Graphing Calculator
How many different block types are you planning on adding? If you get some textures down, this will look pretty good Smile Also, is this in BASIC or is it in Axe/ASM/DoorsCS or something? depending on how complex you want your 3d engine to be, it would most likely be better if it wasn't in BASIC.

For the GUI, maybe you could try setting it up just like the creative inventory in minecraft? You could go with the old version where it's just a long list or you could go with the current version where everything is sorted into different categories. Also, you could do a search bar to search for an item, but depending on how many items you have, the search may be slower. For the selection of an item in the menu, you could either do a gui mouse or you could just do a simple selection box that you could move around the inventory. It's whatever you want.

Will you be posting any code/screenshots soon?
I will be trying to do this in the DCSE libraries. And as for the 3d, I will try to make it as best as possible. This will be my first major project in Asm (or Hybrid BASIC, using the DCSE libs).
caleb1997 wrote:
I will be trying to do this in the DCSE libraries. And as for the 3d, I will try to make it as best as possible. This will be my first major project in Asm.

Oh cool, so actual assembly? Good luck, can't wait to see it!
Here's what I want it to be able to do:
1. Be able to enter a seed and generate exact same terrain (maybe... This might be the hardest part)
2. Have it in 3d, with a good 3d engine
3. Have a custom gui based off the real minecraft gui with a cursor
4. Get the textures
5. Make it look good
6. Make it not ridiculously large
7. Write it all in Asm
8. Maybe, just maybe, hook it up to CalcNet and have two people able to work on it at the same time. Maybe.....

These are my goals.

Now, as for being able to enter a seed, I am not going to have ot generate the whole map, block-by-block. What I am thinking instead is to have it generate a map, like so:

The only difference from the above image is that the whole map of the seed would be displayed. You would then zoom in on a spot and then, and only then, would it render all of the blocks in that specific area.
This is to save on memory. It would also render it to be 3d at that time as well. Or I might just put in a option to turn on/off 3d.
Now, does anyone know how to program in DCSE?
I do.
solarsoftware wrote:
I do.

How? How does DCSE allow you to program? I've heard that it's a shell, but how does it work?
Ok, so first of all, DCSE is not a programming language, it is a shell that allows you to do coll things with basic using hybrid basic. Check the sdk out at: http://dcs.cemetech.net/index.php/DCSE:BasicLibs
Secondly, are you programming in hybrid basic or asm?

I like the plans for this project though. I don't know how hard a map maker would be, it may not be feasable.
This tilemapping technique with xLIBC may or may not be relevant to you, especially since I used Minecraft sprites for the spritesheets:
https://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10025
For this project, I plan to use Asm or hybrid basic, whichever is easier.
Unicorn wrote:
Ok, so first of all, DCSE is not a programming language, it is a shell that allows you to do coll things with basic using hybrid basic. Check the sdk out at: http://dcs.cemetech.net/index.php/DCSE:BasicLibs

When I went to that link, it told me that I "didn't have the permission to create this page."

And how did you create those sprites, Kerm? These really help!
caleb1997 wrote:
Unicorn wrote:

When I went to that link, it told me that I "didn't have the permission to create this page."
It seems like Unicorn didn't bother to verify if he had the correct link, and just made something up. The correct link is http://dcs.cemetech.net/index.php/Third-Party_BASIC_Libraries_%28Color%29 .

Quote:
I Googled for the spritesheets from Minecraft's default texture packs, rescaled them in GIMP, and then used Merthsoft's TokenIDE to create the xLIBC AppVars from them.
Thanks, Kerm!
KermMartian wrote:
caleb1997 wrote:
Unicorn wrote:

It seems like Unicorn didn't bother to verify if he had the correct link, and just made something up. The correct link is http://dcs.cemetech.net/index.php/Third-Party_BASIC_Libraries_%28Color%29 .

Quote:
I Googled for the spritesheets from Minecraft's default texture packs, rescaled them in GIMP, and then used Merthsoft's TokenIDE to create the xLIBC AppVars from them.

Sorry, I shortend the link to the celtic DiplayColor page. I should have checked it.
All right then... How do I get started on the GUI? Any ideas, anyone?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours