Has anyone else here tried XMPP for chatting. I think it might be interesting to switch from IRC to XMPP. One of the features that would allow it simultaneous login on multiple machines/programs from one account. It can also support voice or video and has great private chats as well as chat rooms for group discussion. If anyone wants to try XMPP who has not you can get an account from jabber.org or I can provide a few at my domain, I could also set up a room for people that want to try that part. I would like to know what others think of XMPP and its usefulness to us. It has a great many clients that support it on many platforms as well. Gtalk uses XMPP as well as a few other services I believe. XMPP is also knows as Jabber.
XMPP is indeed a well-designed protocol, but I think many people who don't have a multi-protocol IM client like Pidgin, Digsby, or Trillian would be hesitant to switch away. In addition, since many people are on #cemetech, #tcpa, and other channels, if we switched #cemetech to XMPP, most would still need to stay on IRC for #tcpa and the others. What do others think?
While I know significantly more people who use XMPP than IRC, in part thanks to facebook & Google. But as far as third party applications I still know more people who use XMPP. The nice thing I like about IRC is that it's simple, basic even.

For IRC-esque vocal chatting there is Vent and Skype. Video is still hard to accomplish.

I wouldn't mind a XMPP chat room as my client supports it (note facebook & Google) but I'm not fully aware of any wide scale benefits the protocol would offer in a chat room with numerous users.

Glenn if you PM or post a XMPP server to join, I'll join it.
@comic does Facebook Finally support XMPP last I heard it still wasn't supported

As for setting up a cemetech xmpp chatroom I agree that I see no advantage of it over just using IRC.
@Storm: I saw some activity on your wall about making Facebook IM Open with XMPP and as I read I realized the developers eventually complied with the request. However, I'd eventually like to see support to add outside users (such as Google Talk) to your facebook Chat List.

If it really is now, I'm not positive but it's likely.
comicIDIOT wrote:
@Storm: I saw some activity on your wall about making Facebook IM Open with XMPP and as I read I realized the developers eventually complied with the request. However, I'd eventually like to see support to add outside users (such as Google Talk) to your facebook Chat List.

If it really is now, I'm not positive but it's likely.
We can verify XMPP support by talking to JoelS on EfNet; he's a Facebook employee.
comicIDIOT wrote:
While I know significantly more people who use XMPP than IRC, in part thanks to facebook & Google. But as far as third party applications I still know more people who use XMPP. The nice thing I like about IRC is that it's simple, basic even.

For IRC-esque vocal chatting there is Vent and Skype. Video is still hard to accomplish.

I wouldn't mind a XMPP chat room as my client supports it (note facebook & Google) but I'm not fully aware of any wide scale benefits the protocol would offer in a chat room with numerous users.

Glenn if you PM or post a XMPP server to join, I'll join it.

One cool thing about XMPP is you can join any server and it will work with anyone on any server. One benefit I see is for people like Kerm who show up under several nicks at the same time due I assume to multiple locations being connected from being able to be on only one account. I assume you Kerm will want to decide where the room is hosted and set it up if we do move?
Facebook is running a modified ejabberd, however it's not yet accepting log-in's as far as anyone has been able to determine.
Glenn wrote:
One cool thing about XMPP is you can join any server and it will work with anyone on any server. One benefit I see is for people like Kerm who show up under several nicks at the same time due I assume to multiple locations being connected from being able to be on only one account. I assume you Kerm will want to decide where the room is hosted and set it up if we do move?
Indeed, I often have three or four computers that I'm switching between, either at the same desk or in several locations, so that would be helpful. And yes, I guess I will think about the hosting, any suggestions?
KermMartian wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Indeed, I often have three or four computers that I'm switching between, either at the same desk or in several locations, so that would be helpful. And yes, I guess I will think about the hosting, any suggestions?

If you have VPS or better hosting (or anything allowing port listening daemons) you could self host, if not you could find something or I might be able to host on my hosting which provides jabber with my plan, I just have to double check the TOS to make sure I will not be violating them. To do that I would suggest setting it up as a sub domain of cemetech.net through a NS record so that the conference server can be set up automatically. I also have to double check that a conference server is also set up for sub domains using jabber.
Why switch from something that isn't broken? Seems like a retarded idea to me...
I found some new info that might be useful for this. There are XMPP/IRC gateway programs that could be used to link the two to provide a better transition and allow people to use whichever suited them better if I understand them correctly. I plan on playing around with the one I downloaded.
Glenn wrote:
I found some new info that might be useful for this. There are XMPP/IRC gateway programs that could be used to link the two to provide a better transition and allow people to use whichever suited them better if I understand them correctly. I plan on playing around with the one I downloaded.
Excellent, sounds like a plan. That would allow the use of XMPP for those who wanted it without having to get rid of the very workable IRC.
KermMartian wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Excellent, sounds like a plan. That would allow the use of XMPP for those who wanted it without having to get rid of the very workable IRC.

Any luckily with the comp I got for xmas tht I plan to leave on it should be able keep it up if I run it.

Major UPDATE: A room is now connected to the IRC room. Here is the name: cemetech@conference.jabber.mcgurrin.net
Wow, this is even more annoying than I envisioned.
allynfolksjr wrote:
Wow, this is even more annoying than I envisioned.

How so?
Glenn wrote:
Major UPDATE: A room is now connected to the IRC room. Here is the name: cemetech@conference.jabber.mcgurrin.net
Mate, cbridge2 stopped connecting to IRC, I've been using your XMPP more and more because of my connection issues to IRC (which baffles me); I stay connected just fine in XMPP.
comicIDIOT wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Mate, cbridge2 stopped connecting to IRC, I've been using your XMPP more and more because of my connection issues to IRC (which baffles me); I stay connected just fine in XMPP.

Huh, I will look into that when I get home, my bet is my reboot of the machine prompted it. I am out of town at the moment, I will see about fixing it when I get home from my visit to a grandma. I may just move it over to my new VPS if it gives me issues with reliability. I have borrowed wifi but I barely get a signal so I don't have enough connection for remote administration of this. Thanks for letting me know.
comicIDIOT wrote:
Glenn wrote:

Fixed for now, I found the issue almost as soon as I started looking. Something was up with that nickname, as soon as I changed it I was back online with a restart of the relay. That is an odd nick for someone else to be using though, maybe someone banned it for some reason? If this comes up again I will just give it some whacky hex string that would be very unlikely to be in use. That reminds me, I should get the new version of my client and see if that works better and try to give some of the powers that be here who would be interested powers there as well. If anyone knows ruby that might be helpful to let the relay do the banning like the calc bots do for ease on Kerm, unfortunately I have no clue how to do object oriented ruby.
Glenn wrote:
who would be interested powers there as well.
I'll take you up on that. Powers in XMPP, right? Better to have them now than when you wish you had them x)

I'll log into XMPP in a while, on campus and have some errands to run after I leave.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours