Anyone seen this? It tests for ping, packet loss and jitter. I found out about it through speedtest.net. I want to see what other peoples results are.
I assume that was from home? I should probably mention that mine was from home.

I live at school. That counts as 'home', right?
The Tari wrote:

By "I live at school", you mean "I live at the apartment complex near my school", right?

Interesting site
Xeno_Cre8or wrote:
The Tari wrote:

By "I live at school", you mean "I live at the apartment complex near my school", right?

College Wink

From my apartment.

What's with the failure to test packet loss?
calc84maniac wrote:
Xeno_Cre8or wrote:
[snip]
College Wink

Truth. Kinda makes me wonder what sort of connections they get at the school-owned apartment complex across the street.

Will_W wrote:
It hates you. Or you[r connection] just suck[s]. Evil or Very Mad

1000th post!
Interesting. I really wouldn't expect packet loss, TCP is specifically designed to prevent that. Razz

KermMartian wrote:
Interesting. I really wouldn't expect packet loss, TCP is specifically designed to prevent that. Razz

No, TCP is designed to HANDLE packet loss. Nothing* will PREVENT packet loss. Somebody clearly doesn't deserve his diploma Razz

(*nothing reasonable, anyway)

KermMartian wrote:

My understanding agrees with Kllrnohj, TCP is built on top of a best effort network which means that packets can be lost by the underlying technologies, however TCP prevents the layers build on it from seeing it by resending the packet until it gets through so no packet is permanently lost. Also I was under the impression that it would use a ICMP ping which is what I assume it was doing given the permission warning I got when I ran it. An ICMP ping is on the same level as UDP and TCP if my quick reading is right which would allow it detailed access to packet loss and other network statistics without being messed up by a retransmission. Why did you think it was TCP?

EDIT: I missread, it is below TCP and UDP on the internet layer below the transport layer where TCP and UDP are.
Will_W wrote:

It uses a Java applet to test packet loss, which you need to approve first (and probably rerun the test to get rid of the prompt). That said, I don't think something's quite right in the way they test it:

benryves wrote:
Will_W wrote:

It uses a Java applet to test packet loss, which you need to approve first (and probably rerun the test to get rid of the prompt). That said, I don't think something's quite right in the way they test it:

Your firewall and/or ISP was likely blocking ICMP packets. Not uncommon.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours