More than likely some people have heard of the game. I recently learned how to play and find it somewhat addicting. I immediately thought about how this would be on a calculator. As for TI-BASIC it's basically futile to program something like this. A couple reasons are (I'm thinking about the 83/84+):
1. The board wouldn't fit on a screen. One could either make the screen scrolling somehow fit all that info onto one screen.
2. Programming the AI
3. Speed
Even with assembly it would probably be difficult. On an 89 I'm sure it could be done. If anyone could put this thing on a calculator, you will have left me awed.
I had actually been thinking about this too, but it's beyond me
I actually started on this at one point, but never got beyond drawing the board.
utopiahunter wrote:
More than likely some people have heard of the game. I recently learned how to play and find it somewhat addicting. I immediately thought about how this would be on a calculator. As for TI-BASIC it's basically futile to program something like this. A couple reasons are (I'm thinking about the 83/84+):
1. The board wouldn't fit on a screen. One could either make the screen scrolling somehow fit all that info onto one screen.
2. Programming the AI
3. Speed
Even with assembly it would probably be difficult. On an 89 I'm sure it could be done. If anyone could put this thing on a calculator, you will have left me awed.

I'm not familiar with the gameplay, but let me suggest a few things
1.) A zooming mechanism would be pretty easy. With a "birds eye" view, you could have cell information displayed by say, hovertext, or a pane.
2.) addressing part 3, the AI would be the only significant time-consuming part. By optimizing the AI, or removing it altogether in lieu of two human players, speed would be less of a problem. This is a board game after all.
3.) Really? You could use two images (inverse border and original) of a hexagonal piece and using xLib, display it as if it is a hexagonal sprite... (Zagor's xDCS uses this same method to display a mouse)

It would be difficult, but not impossible
rthprog wrote:
utopiahunter wrote:
2. Programming the AI
3. Speed

1.) A zooming mechanism would be pretty easy. With a "birds eye" view, you could have cell information displayed by say, hovertext, or a pane.
2.) addressing part 3, the AI would be the only significant time-consuming part. By optimizing the AI, or removing it altogether in lieu of two human players, speed would be less of a problem. This is a board game after all.
3.) Really? You could use two images (inverse border and original) of a hexagonal piece and using xLib, display it as if it is a hexagonal sprite... (Zagor's xDCS uses this same method to display a mouse)

(1) is pretty clever. That seems doable. Removing the AI would remove a lot of the fun. Playing with other people wouldn't be terribly fun over a calculator. Assuming that someone is doing (1) and there is no AI then speed would not be nearly as much of a challenge. Using an assembly library would ease things further.
Good Reply!
utopiahunter wrote:
rthprog wrote:
utopiahunter wrote:
2. Programming the AI
3. Speed

(1) is pretty clever. That seems doable. Removing the AI would remove a lot of the fun. Playing with other people wouldn't be terribly fun over a calculator. Assuming that someone is doing (1) and there is no AI then speed would not be nearly as much of a challenge. Using an assembly library would ease things further.
Good Reply!

Well, working on the AI independently from the rest of the project would make it easier to optimize the AI. Without knowing the game, I really don't have any suggestions with that (rather tricky) part... anyways, come up with your program design before jumping head on into programming Smile
It's definitely my favorite game... I should try to make a computer version.

If you can get a decent AI done, you'll have my respect forever...

(the test: make it beat my mother Laughing (as good as impossible) )
Mapar007 wrote:
It's definitely my favorite game... I should try to make a computer version.

Look up Pioneers on sourceforge.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours