Hey all,

Just wanted to inform everyone of SitePoint's 5 for 1 book sale!

Buy any 5 of their PDF books for $30 (the price of one)!

All earnings from this sale will go toward the Australia Bushfire Relief Effort (200+ Died From Fires in the past 7 days...). Meaning you pay $30 and they give $30 and they get nothing from this deal.

I'm definitely going to take advantage of this deal. Check out the link below for the sale:SALE ENDS: FEBRUARY 13th!

If anyone is getting some, post what you're buying!

Here's what I'm looking at getting:
  • The PHP Anthology: 101 Essential Tips, Tricks & Hacks 2nd Edition
  • The Flash Anthology: Cool Effects & Practical ActionScript
  • The Principles Of Project Management
  • The Principles Of Successful Freelancing
  • The Principles Of Beautiful Web Design

I was tempted to get "Simply Rails 2", but I don't think I'm too interested in learning RoR right now (seeing as I don't actually have a way to host it, and I could care less if I did).

NineNews wrote:
This fire has burnt almost 230,000 hectares, destroyed 550 homes and killed at least 147 people in a wide area from Wandong, north of Melbourne, to Marysville and Taggerty.
Needs more perl.
allynfolksjr wrote:
Needs more perl.

Who actually uses Perl? It reads like the bastard child of BASH and Brainf***
elfprince13 wrote:
allynfolksjr wrote:
Needs more perl.

Who actually uses Perl? It reads like the <font color=red>censored</font> child of BASH and Brainf***
Oh, you did not just diss Perl. If you don't know Perl, then you should.
And you conservatives deny the effects of Global Warming...

On a related note, I sent this to my mom who's a secretary for a small business for which she also manages the website, and she's been slowly teaching herself HTML and would probably benefit from these kinds of resources.
Good to know! Pass it on to anyone who might be interested Smile
KermMartian wrote:

Perl is terrible. Its syntax is insane. Look at your own old code from a month ago and you wonder "what the hell was this guy doing? Oh wait, this is my code. What the hell was *I* doing?!"

I did learn perl for the hell of it, and wow it sucks.
Even Ruby's syntax bothers me to some extent, and its WAYYYYYY better than perl.
Python FTW!!!
/me goes back to hinding under his rock.

I Really need to get off my lazy a and do some computer programing, or atleast finish some of my calc projects.
elfprince13 wrote:
Even Ruby's syntax bothers me to some extent, and its WAYYYYYY better than perl.

Oh god, ruby is terrible. I cannot figure out why anyone uses it. The syntax is mediocre, but the runtime and features are horrible! Basic things like recursion are broken - what the hell? Python is better in every way.
Kllrnohj wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Perl is terrible. Its syntax is insane. Look at your own old code from a month ago and you wonder "what the hell was this guy doing? Oh wait, this is my code. What the hell was *I* doing?!"

I did learn perl for the hell of it, and wow it sucks.
Sure, it's write-only, but there are a lot of things it's hella powerful for, that any other language is going to toss unnecessary overhead on board for.
Kllrnohj wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:

Oh god, ruby is terrible. I cannot figure out why anyone uses it. The syntax is mediocre, but the runtime and features are horrible! Basic things like recursion are broken - what the hell? Python is better in every way.

Rails and ActiveRecord are pretty convenient APIs. Actually even Rails isn't great.....so really just ActiveRecord. Speaking of the runtime sucking, you can run Ruby bytecode through an interpreter written in javascript (in a modern browser) and get better performance than native does. I'm not making that up by the way, its been done.
KermMartian wrote:
Sure, it's write-only, but there are a lot of things it's hella powerful for, that any other language is going to toss unnecessary overhead on board for.

Such as? Python owns it for simple scripting tasks as well as complex ones. The single, almost redeeming feature of Perl is that regex is built into the syntax, but even that is a wash since if its simple enough sed will get the job done, otherwise the niceness of python more than outweighs the "overhead" of calling re.compile().match()

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours