Well i purchased the parts once they arrive i install them i will post an update. And thanks for everyones help.
lafferjm wrote:
Well i purchased the parts once they arrive i install them i will post an update. And thanks for everyones help.
Excellent, let us know how it goes, maybe some benchmarks. Smile
Well the card just arrived but i am already having some problems i installed it but now i have to find drivers. The drivers on the disk are only for the 32bit version of vista and i have the 64bit.

Edit: Well driver found and downloaded. One thing that has got me wondering though is windows didn't automatically detect new hardware.
lafferjm wrote:
Well the card just arrived but i am already having some problems i installed it but now i have to find drivers. The drivers on the disk are only for the 32bit version of vista and i have the 64bit.

Bad, lafferjm, BAD! Never ever ever use the drivers that come with the cd for video cards! They are *ALWAYS* horribly out of date, especially for ATI which has a monthly driver release schedule (nvidia's are a bit longer, but not by much)

Video cards are one of the few components where updating drivers actually does stuff. Performance is improved, new features added, etc... So keep your drivers updated

Quote:
Edit: Well driver found and downloaded. One thing that has got me wondering though is windows didn't automatically detect new hardware.

You shouldn't use the Windows ones anyway for the same reason as above.

So what video card did you end up getting?
The one you pointed out, the galaxy nvidia GeForce 9600. And i am still having proboems with it, there is no video output from it.

Edit: I think i may know why it isn't working, i didn't connect the power connector. Which presents another problem, i can't connect it because i don't have any place to connect it on my power supply. Sad
lafferjm wrote:
The one you pointed out, the galaxy nvidia GeForce 9600. And i am still having proboems with it, there is no video output from it.

Edit: I think i may know why it isn't working, i didn't connect the power connector. Which presents another problem, i can't connect it because i don't have any place to connect it on my power supply. Sad
You can either upgrade your power supply or (better) get an adapter to convert one of the standard Molex 4-pin connectors, assuming you have a spare, to the card, such as this. Come to look at it, it seems they require two Molex to convert to a 6-pin video card power header.
i have one of those, and there is a spot on the card to plug in the six pin end but not the 4 pin.

Edit: This should get the job done for me right http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812226018
lafferjm wrote:
i have one of those, and there is a spot on the card to plug in the six pin end but not the 4 pin.

Edit: This should get the job done for me right http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812226018
Nope, that's SATA, not PCI-E 6-pin power. Try again. Very Happy
i have a spot on the card to plug in the six pin but no wherer to plugin the male ends.
lafferjm wrote:
i have a spot on the card to plug in the six pin but no wherer to plugin the male ends.
You have no spare molexes from your power supply? Seriously? Sad
lafferjm wrote:

The 6-pin plugs into the card, the 4 pin molex plug into the PSU. If you don't have any spare molex, go to radioshack and buy a molex splitter. They are like $3

You should still get some sort of video without the 6-pin plugged in. It will be unable to do 3d at all, but it should at least display SOMETHING. My card actually just displays a message saying "PLUG IN THE POWER TO THE CARD YOU MORON" when I power it up.
KermMartian wrote:
lafferjm wrote:

Yeah i seriously don't Laughing . And i will check at radioshack after work tommorow since it is right across the street.
lafferjm wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
lafferjm wrote:

Yeah i seriously don't 0x5 . And i will check at radioshack after work tommorow since it is right across the street.
Just to stick my $0.02 in, I don't see anything about molex splitters under either Cables or Computer Parts on the Radioshack website.
KermMartian wrote:
Just to stick my $0.02 in, I don't see anything about molex splitters under either Cables or Computer Parts on the Radioshack website.

I've bought one from there before, I assume they still have them.

Laffer, post a pic of the adapter you have - you might not need a splitter, or you may need two.
I don't have an adapter yet i was planning on getting the one that Kerm told me wouldn't work.
lafferjm wrote:
I don't have an adapter yet i was planning on getting the one that Kerm told me wouldn't work.

Get two of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812189002

and one of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200106

That should work.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours