Login [Register]
Don't have an account? Register now to chat, post, use our tools, and much more.

What category of weapon does Sith Lightning fall under?
Ranged
 75%  [ 6 ]
Melee
 25%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 8

I hope you're being sarcastic. 60 megabytes is almost nothing nowadays.
Yeah, in fact, $60 is almost nothing nowadays too. Why don't you just send me $60, since it might be as much fun to waste money as it is to waste bandwidth.
DShiznit wrote:
I hope you're being sarcastic. 60 megabytes is almost nothing nowadays.
Not everyone has a super-fast connection, you know, even though most of us do. No need to unnecessarily waste that and hard drive space. Razz
DShiznit wrote:
I hope you're being sarcastic. 60 megabytes is almost nothing nowadays.

to download maybe Wink unzipping that is still a royal pain.
Uh, maybe on a ten year old computer it is. I routinely use 7-zip to decompress zip, rar, and 7z files over 300mb, and it certainly doesn't take very long.

What do you mean?
jbr wrote:
Uh, maybe on a ten year old computer it is. I routinely use 7-zip to decompress zip, rar, and 7z files over 300mb, and it certainly doesn't take very long.

what you don't realise is that part of the excellence of the Torque Game Engine is that it's designed to run on 10 year old computers. we want this game to be accessible as possible.
60 megabytes is still nothing. Don't limit content just to make it quick to install. I'd shoot for between 60-120mb, as that would provide room for plenty of content, while not taking long at all on a 10-year-old computer to unzip, which I know for a fact, as I'm on one now.

EDIT- and we have sith lightning?
DShiznit wrote:
60 megabytes is still nothing. Don't limit content just to make it quick to install. I'd shoot for between 60-120mb, as that would provide room for plenty of content, while not taking long at all on a 10-year-old computer to unzip, which I know for a fact, as I'm on one now.

EDIT- and we have sith lightning?


*I* have Sith Lightning. complete with twitchy camera. and content certainly won't be limited.
Woo, got a chance to try out some of this awesomeness this evening. Very s3xy so far.
KermMartian wrote:
Woo, got a chance to try out some of this awesomeness this evening. Very s3xy so far.


thanks Smile actually with all the stuff I got done today I'm thinking I'm going to need to make a preliminary release sometime before I get home. the DTB and Cemetech AI functionality has all been rolled in, and I edited one annoying feature of the Torque world editor, so the only directories you'll ever see in your top level TBG directory are now "core" and "mods"

I also fixed the mismatched loading bar that's been hanging around the TBM gui for the last 2.5 years or so. the gui's still aren't quite tidied up as much as they could be, but everything seems to be working except my modified version of the player customization area, so I'll probably revert back to the old version for the first release.

the other scripting things left to do before a first release:
finish tidying up a few maps, maybe add one more if I can make it look good enough. Finish the Cemetech AI functionality, or at least get it to not crash as much, and finish the SAX integration. I think that's pretty much it actually....except for removing some unused code from inventory.cs, and spelling fixes for tbm functions (Kier and Gobbles were brilliant coders, but they failed hard at spelling).

The next release will pretty up the modding interface, hopefully clean some of the internals, make it a more polished base, and complete DynLoad integration and the autoupdater/content manager

There's also a couple engine bugs I'm aware of (the audio driver is refusing to load, at least on my computer, and blockland and the torque demo still work), but that'll have to wait until I buy my license.

last but not least, the base directory has been trimmed down to 91MB, awaiting the addition of 1, possibly 2 maps. This is giving me good vibes about the size of the finished 7z archive.


maps left to work on
  • DM-Mordor (needs a few more models added)
  • DM-Omaha (fixed the fogging issues, the spawn area still needs to be fixed)
  • DM-Battleroom v2 (needs some polish, hasn't yet been added to the base install)


my successes with procedural terrain painting for Mordor are also making me feel like it would be worthwhile to redo the terrain for some parts of BL-Hobbiton in hopes of meeting my original vision for it.

[edit]
0x5. I really can't make up my mind about what to say. (this is my fifth edit to this post in 15 minutes). Anyway, I just did a test run of the compression and 7zip generates a 57MB archive from our 91MB of data, I'm hopeful this can be improved by tweaking the compression settings a little bit.
elfprince13 wrote:
everything seems to be working except my modified version of the player customization area, so I'll probably revert back to the old version for the first release.


Is that optionsdlg? Because I know why that wouldn't be working right after modding. Theres functions within the .gui file that get erased when you overwrite it. I learned this the hard way when I tried to mod it. That's probably why it was set up that way, to keep others from modding it successfully.
DShiznit wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
everything seems to be working except my modified version of the player customization area, so I'll probably revert back to the old version for the first release.


Is that optionsdlg? Because I know why that wouldn't be working right after modding. Theres functions within the .gui file that get erased when you overwrite it. I learned this the hard way when I tried to mod it. That's probably why it was set up that way, to keep others from modding it successfully.
Perhaps the animated character model isn't working quite right yet. Wink
the functions are easy to move. the real problem is the 3d animated model doesn't mount things correctly.
Then why not use the TBMplayerop gui method, have the camera move to see the player, then render the camera within the GUI like with the cemetech ai gui.
DShiznit wrote:
Then why not use the TBMplayerop gui method, have the camera move to see the player, then render the camera within the GUI like with the cemetech ai gui.
That's basically what alt+i does, minus being inside the GUI. Razz
DShiznit wrote:
Then why not use the TBMplayerop gui method, have the camera move to see the player, then render the camera within the GUI like with the cemetech ai gui.


because GUIObjectView works differently from the PlayGUI and the playgui needs a mission running. i need to make some modifications to the engine code first.
then make the main menu a preloaded single-player mission with a different GUI, that would also let you add 3d effects and crap to the menu.
DShiznit wrote:
then make the main menu a preloaded single-player mission with a different GUI, that would also let you add 3d effects and crap to the menu.


I was actually thinking about that, and played with it a little, but it's not quite there yet, for now I'd rather just make the necessary adjustments to GUIObjectView, a couple people on the forum said that the bug I'm experiencing is solveable, but the topics discussing it are for engine owners only, so it'll be a week or so.
  
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are GMT - 5 Hours
 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 

Advertisement