This little device(the MA111) has failed way too many times to connect to different wireless routers. Earier today, I was connected to my Linksys WTR35G when all of a sudden my Mom wants to swap her internet over to DSL and has me install the 2Wire router/modem combination. This works out well, but the problem is: how ever hard I try to connect to it using my USB Netgear MA111 it will always give me "Little or No Connectivity".

Now, heres what I am planning on doing, but have yet to figure out how to do:

I have my Linksys WRT35G of course, and I was wondering if I could use that as an extender of some sort (WDS?) to connect my WRT35G to the 2Wire router and then just connect to the 2Wire router through my WRT35G. Possible?

I know it should be possible, but I have searched high and low through my WRT35G's Control Panel and have found nothing at all that talks about WDS. It might be because they took it out in my version(v5) or that I need to update my firmware(I'll do that in just a minute) but is there anyway that someone can help me out? I don't want to hog my Moms laptop for a week, I'de rather use my own.

The other thing is: I don't live here, I don't want to hard configure anything on my computer so that it becomes difficult to change back when I get back at my house and am ready to use MY router.
While yes, it is possible (you should just be able to plug the ethernet "out" of the linksys in to one of the ethernet ports of the 2WIRE) - it is far from an elegant or good solution. A far better one would be to find out what is wrong with your MA111 Very Happy

What OS are you using? Have you tried updating the MA111's drivers?
Yes, I updated brand new drivers this morning for the MA111. The WRT54G(sorry if I said 35G) is too far away for an ethernet cord, I need for both of them(the 2Wire router and the WRT54G) to connect wirelessly.
swivelgames wrote:
Yes, I updated brand new drivers this morning for the MA111. The WRT54G(sorry if I said 35G) is too far away for an ethernet cord, I need for both of them(the 2Wire router and the WRT54G) to connect wirelessly.

Then no, thats not possible. While 802.11 extenders do exist, you can't just convert a router to be one. Since it is DSL see about moving the 2Wire to a more central location in the house and try to position it away from major sources of interference (anything big and metal).
The problem wit that is: The only spot that it can be at is in the middle of the kitchen(in a different room them my computer is in) and its right next to my fridge. But, the fridge is not between me and the 2Wire. WDS is for the WRT54G(and GS) modes for connecting computers to another router that they can't connect to(acting as a hotspot or extender). But the only problem is: I can't find anything my Admin panel on WDS and no way to connect the router to another one.

I might try connecting my WRT54GS up to the 2Wire via ethernet and then try connecting to the WRT54GS wirelessly.
swivelgames wrote:
The problem wit that is: The only spot that it can be at is in the middle of the kitchen(in a different room them my computer is in) and its right next to my fridge.

Uhh... Why? A DSL modem can be anywhere there is a phone line and power...

If you want to use WDS with your WRT54G you have to flash a custom firmware - good luck with that.
The only phone jack closest to the family room is in the kitchen. There are no phone jacks out here in the family room(where my computer is hooked up/close enough to where I can connect via ethernet).

@WDS: Yeah, I kind of figured that. Its not really possible on the WRT54GS v4+. I have a v5...
I know the 2WIRE routers ship with WEP protection already enabled on them. Is this the only care giving you problems, and if so, see if AT&T will take back the router and give you a DSL modem.
"Little or No Connectivity" is a message usually associated with DHCP not working properly and with your computer "guessing" an IP address
actually, not guessing an IP, it takes Automatic Private Addressing at that point (169.254.x.y with subnet mask of 255.255.0.0).
rivereye wrote:
actually, not guessing an IP, it takes Automatic Private Addressing at that point (169.254.x.y with subnet mask of 255.255.0.0).
Which is utterly and completely useless in every situation, as far as I can tell.
KermMartian wrote:
rivereye wrote:
Which is utterly and completely useless in every situation, as far as I can tell.

It works fine when directly-connecting two computers sans DHCP - at least it allows me to lan up and share files that way between Vista and XP laptops. So it does have a purpose, just not a normally useful one.
Well, I have internet now. It wasn't the 2WIRE system(I didn't think it was from the start) but it was the Netgear driver. I have to shut the configuration utility off in order to connect to the 2Wire network correctly. Quite pathetic how Windows is better at connecting to wireless networks then Netgear...

Thanks for the help guys, not sure what was wrong with the Configuration Utility.
swivelgames wrote:
Well, I have internet now. It wasn't the 2WIRE system(I didn't think it was from the start) but it was the Netgear driver. I have to shut the configuration utility off in order to connect to the 2Wire network correctly. Quite pathetic how Windows is better at connecting to wireless networks then Netgear...

Thanks for the help guys, not sure what was wrong with the Configuration Utility.

Probably some sort of conflict between the netgear config utility and the wireless zero config service in windows. I always just use the wireless zero service anyway - its loaded anyway, might as well use it instead of yet another program Very Happy
Yeah, I've always tried to stay away from pointless programs like that, but I wasn't completely sure if uninstalling it would remove the driver as well.
swivelgames wrote:
Yeah, I've always tried to stay away from pointless programs like that, but I wasn't completely sure if uninstalling it would remove the driver as well.

don't uninstall, just remove it from startup, and set the "let windows configure this wireless connection" checkbox

rivereye: whatever, its worthless for people trying to connect a wireless access point.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours