Hey all, I recently changed my Simple projects(Simple CMS, SPAS, SPF) to whats now known as the Logic{Project}. I didn't really announce any of the projects I'm working on right now to many people, but the Logic{Project} is a collection of my projects in one. The projects together make it easy to manage your websites content.
  • Logic{CMS} works with the majority of the website managing(content, user system, user to user communication, administration tasks, etc...).
  • Logic{Archive} works with file archiving, downloading, and uploading.
  • Logic{BB} is a forum thats mostly just for integration/an L{CMS} add-on. It integrates seamlessly with the rest of the projects but can also work just by itself.

SPAS(Simple PHP Archive Script) was a simple archive script. I'm scrapping that and using it as a base for Logic{Archive}. All the projects will be complete and full of features.

Would anyone like to start a wish list of features for each project? The incomplete list of features for the Logic{CMS} is here. But it could definatly use some more features.

Goto: http://www.swivelgames.com/ for the projects home page.
I think what you really need is a working framework from which to add features, not a list of features that in all likelihood won't ever see the light of day...
Well, I was planning on adding something like that, but should I do that now? or add some more basic features that will be 'built-in' first?

Also, I changed the LogicProject theme a little bit, what do you think?
swivelgames wrote:
Well, I was planning on adding something like that, but should I do that now? or add some more basic features that will be 'built-in' first?

I meant I think you should code the basic - sans any cool features - first, because if you focus on "built-in features", you will never get any working code because you will give up in a hurry.

Get the bare-bones working first, THEN go back and add in features.
Kllrnohj wrote:
swivelgames wrote:

I meant I think you should code the basic - sans any cool features - first, because if you focus on "built-in features", you will never get any working code because you will give up in a hurry.
Get the bare-bones working first, THEN go back and add in features.
I agree with Kllrnohj on this. Make your core features work properly and without bugs, then go back and tweak extra features in.
OK, I see what you mean. Thanks. It shouldn't be much longer until I can get finished with the basics. Razz
Oh, and while you are making the bare-bones, focus on trying to keep as much as possible abstract and high level. As in make many small functions so that you can more easily go back and add to it. A function should, ideally, accomplish a single task without affecting anything else.

Also avoid hardcoding in values (for things such as button text, etc...), instead get them from a theme file or something. Try and make it as flexible and clean as you can.

In other words, keep in mind that you are going to be going back over it and adding things in, so try and make it flexible. Smile
I already have interchangeable styles for the CMS. So you can change the default style, and users can change the style to one that they like best. But that was just the style.css file, the header and footer and images and what not. So, I've just started working on a large template file that will contain all the small templates.

The way my template system works is like this:
Code:
<!-- Start [Blah] -->

<div>{SOME_TEXT}</div>

<!-- End [Blah] -->
and then I have a function that will split the template file into an array, so $_TEMPLATE['Blah'] = '<div>{SOME_TEXT}</div>'; then, when the template is needed, then it takes $_TEMPLATE['Blah'] and replaces {SOME_TEXT} with the given string, and then outputs it.

One of the benefits of this is: When your adding new features that require output, all you have to do is add some code into the template file, and then it will be easily accessible through the $_TEMPLATE string array.

Ideas? Changes?

EDIT: I might also make it so that the different templates are pulled from the DB.

Quote:
Also avoid hardcoding in values (for things such as button text, etc...), instead get them from a theme file or something.
By this you mean, like a language file?
Yes, a language file.

I like your div theme idea - seems simple enough. You might want to consider adding simple commands in there too, something like django's templates

Code:
<h1>{{ poll.question }}</h1>

{% if error_message %}<p><strong>{{ error_message }}</strong></p>{% endif %}

<form action="/polls/{{ poll.id }}/vote/" method="post">
{% for choice in poll.choice_set.all %}
    <input type="radio" name="choice" id="choice{{ forloop.counter }}" value="{{ choice.id }}" />
    <label for="choice{{ forloop.counter }}">{{ choice.choice }}</label><br />
{% endfor %}
<input type="submit" value="Vote" />
</form>

See how it allows for dynamic manipulation of it right in the template? Kind of a cool idea.
Awesome. Once I finish a few more things I'll see about adding something like that Razz

Heres a list of what I'm currently working on:
  • Registration form
  • Message Center
  • page source editor
  • some random fixes here an there

EDIT:
Quote:
I just updated the news on the LogicCMS project page. You all can check it out.

Link: http://72.48.165.172:8080/LogicProject/lcms/index.php

I need to start working on the template functions. I think I'm going to do that right now Razz
Project helpers?

I have maybe 3-4 Alpha testers that get on the site frequently, but I have no programmers to help me out. I've been busy, but I'm disappointed that I'm having to stop working on the project because of it.

Is it possible I could get some people to help me out with this? I can create a to-do list?

The only problem with this is: all programmers, program differently. Some of you that are willing to help out won't be able to read my code well if the way you program is different. But it would be nice if some could try it out. I will definitely back up my site before hand, just incase something gets messed up.

I've never had the greatest experience with group projects, but it hasn't gone that bad before.
I've almost always had bad experiences with group programming projects due to differing commitment and amounts of available time, and it's true that differing coding styles and conventions cause significant obstacles.
For now, I'll just work on it myself when my life slows down a bit, heh.

Until I can get time to work on it, then I'll just have to put it off for a while(sadly, seeing as its almost done).

I'm still taking suggestions though! The template system is completed, all I have to do it convert all output to rely on it now. Razz

Then, I have to add some user functions, like finish the edit profile function (which should take about 10 minutes of code to finish) and some functions like 'forgot password', etc...

[EDIT]Can't forget the Installer!
(I just have to edit and reconfigure my old one for SCMS to work with L{CMS} Razz )[/EDIT]

----------------
Now playing: Breaking Benjamin - Had Enough
via FoxyTunes

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours