I've noticed that a lot of our newest bunch of users seem to be superstitious about computers, programming and electronics in general.

In any sort of digital logic circuits, NOTHING HAPPENS unless instructed to. this means there's an explanation for everything, regardless of whether you personally understand it or not. Furthermore the chances are pretty good that someone other than yourself understands, and even if you think you understand it, they probably understand it better than you.

This leads me to my next point. Unless you *know* what the problem is, do not suggest a fix....any kind of fix.....one that worked on a different, unrelated problem.....one that you somehow patched together out of the inner workings of your consciousness.....because unless its something that you know will work, or at least have some reasonable evidence to think should work, we don't want to hear it. If you want to test it out on your own, then please, by all means test it out, but don't go telling other young nooblings to do the same, because it will cause them a lot of hassle doing something that won't have any effect, and at worst could actually mess something up.

allow me to redirect you to some further readings: http://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=944
I second that. When people try to think of fixes when they don't actually understand the full extent or workings of the problem, it tends to be unhelpful, no matter how helpful you're trying to be. Smile

And as he said, electronics work in perfectly logical progression. For example, if a bug happens, but then is irreplicable, that's a huge problem, because bugs don't "randomly" occur. A bug happens for a reason, and will happen again if that reason recurs.
I third it Very Happy. I hate it when someone asks a problem - lets say its a problem you've had before and already know the solution - but then someone comes along and suggests several "solutions" which just cause the problem to then become even worse, so that by the time you can post your original solution that would have fixed it now no longer applies.... so annoying... (heh, sorry about that run on sentence there... Wink )
I fourth it. Technology can only do what it's been told to be able to do. Also, did you "debug" came from really old computers. They would collect bugs in their inner workings, and the computers would get messed up, and so they had to 'debug' the computer. I read that out of my C++ book. Cool
I fifth that. Though most of the time I am the one posting to try to help and make it worst. Very Happy

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours